Groove Juice!

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Alexander
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:09 am

:idea:
I used Promark's Groove Juice for the 1st time on all 10 of my Sabian HHX Evolution & my 6 Zildjian K & A cymbals. Most are exactly 1 year old as of today, the 22nd (I'm a rainman when it comes to dates & numbers).

They look as good as new & are glistening Gold a-gain! :shock: Amazing stuff, it is! I'm surprised it entirely removed the green from 2 of my older Zildjian K splashes. Wowie! I did do top & bottom @ the same time & left it on for up to 3 mins in a few instances. So some of the black painted logos came off a bit, especially on my 6" Zil-Bel. But oh well. I'd rather have them spotless & shiny than perfectly painted.

My experience: I'll use this stuff once every 6 months to 1 year, maximum. Don't leave almighty Groove Juice on (logos especially) for more than a minute & rinse promptly with water as the label indicates! A 2nd coating is not needed. :D
~ Alex.
See my Band "ToneDrones" & Drum pix @ 2 MySpace URLs:

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/tonedrones &

Me Self: http://www.myspace.com/alexander23
m
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:50 am

cool~
I just picked up a bottle, now I need to budget some time to get rubbin'
Alexander
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:33 am

Also, after spraying each cymbal between 4 & 10 times (depending on size), I used my entire index finger to cover every inch of each cymbal ALONG the tonal grooves. This way the juice, :lol: , will affect every part of the cymbal w/o wasting juice/sprays of it.

Groove Juice is amazing, even if my Logos faded a bit after excessive (more than a minute, like 2-3) duration of application! :shock:
~ Alex.
See my Band "ToneDrones" & Drum pix @ 2 MySpace URLs:

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/tonedrones &

Me Self: http://www.myspace.com/alexander23
Flatliner
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:36 pm

anyone with some advice for preserving the logos. Not a big deal, but they are after all one more thing to look nice and spiffy .
M.U.S.I.C.- Make up something interesting and complementary- Neil Peart

Without music, Life would be an error- Friedrich Nietzsche
scrubs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:56 am

Flatliner wrote:anyone with some advice for preserving the logos. Not a big deal, but they are after all one more thing to look nice and spiffy .

Yes, don't spray the groove juice on the logo and, especially, don't wipe over the logo when cleaning.

With groove juice, spray it on the cymbal, avoiding the logo, and let it sit there for a minute. Then, wipe it around with a soft cloth to get an even cleaning, still avoiding the logo. Then, rinse the entire cymbal very well and dry with another cloth.
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:01 am

ive heard of groove juice and other cleaners changing the sound. anyone had this experience?
Susanboy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:56 am

A couple people I know refuse to clean their cymbals. They say it makes them sound better. I dunno.
screamkevin

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:03 pm

iatemygoat wrote:ive heard of groove juice and other cleaners changing the sound. anyone had this experience?

I posted this in another thread about cleaning cymbals, someone asked about what effect it would have if he buried his cymbal underground for a time...

"The best way to describe it would be to quote Morgan Rose (Sevendust), who was asked in a recent Modern Drummer issue about his ride cymbal sound on a particular song. He replied that his ride was a Zidjian A Medium that had been sweated on, spat on, bled on, and had water dripped on for about 10 years. He said that he cleaned it once, but hated the sound, so he hasn't cleaned it again.

So, to answer your question, Morgan says, "Take your ride cymbal, run around the block 10 times and sweat on it, punch a wall and bleed on it, get a mouthful of water and spray it straight up in the air and let it land on your cymbal, and, well, spit on it. Above all, DON'T CLEAN IT!!".

LOL, while I don't agree with everything that Morgan says, the paraphrased answer is to not clean it. Touch it with your hands, don't be afraid to get it dirty, and listen as the patina (age) grows on the cymbal. The sound will get darker and darker with age. Burying it does work to a point, but just play it and touch it as much as possible."
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:19 pm

To me, it's like strings on a bass guitar.

If you like the old-school tone, you let the junk build up on the strings and never change them. The deadened sound is what many bassists are going for. Others prefer articulation and high-end, and change strings after every performance.

I believe it's the same with cymbals.
If you want an old-school, dark, vintage tone, let the dirt pile on and build up.
Granted, it's going to take a good bit of build-up to change the tone of your cymbal. Hard to hear that over time. But if it's really grimey and you cleaned years worth of crap off of it, I could see where you might hear a difference.

I don't believe wiping fingerprints off a brilliant finish cymbal or polishing some smudges is going to alter your tone any.