long sticksvs short sticks? heavy vs light?

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

b b253
groove master
groove master

Post Thu May 14, 2009 7:58 pm

i was just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are to having long or short or heavy/light drumsticks? long drumsticks have more of a reach but would shorter ones have more rebound or something? right now i use 16" 3/4 lon drumsticks 3b's. thinking about switching to lighter and shorter but i was just wondering what the differences are.
thanks
Pulse double bass kit
Mapex M birch 5 peice kit
Mapex steel 10 by 5.5 side snare
Sabian xs20 cymbals
Zildjian Avedis
Tama hardware
Remo heads
Regal tip =)
http://www.myspace.com/thedrummerboyoftheworld
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri May 15, 2009 5:59 am

I find I'm pretty middle of the road. Don't like super long sticks, but something like those pro mark phil collins sticks will drive me up a wall. I used 3b's for a while, really liked them.
possumofdestruction
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 17, 2009 2:33 pm

i like a medium thickness but more towards the heavier side. i use vic firth metals because theyre 17 inches long...i REALLY wish that someone made 18 inch or longer sticks... :(
bash, bang, slam, whatever, yeah, ima drummer.
SGarrett

Post Sun May 17, 2009 4:23 pm

Generally speaking, shorter and lighter sticks rebound faster. BUT, that doesn't take the taper or tip shape into account either and both of those can change the rebound of otherwise similar sticks.

If you're looking for new sticks, go to the store and put some in your hands. Air drum with them, play them on a pad, and make sure that your hands like them. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Sun May 17, 2009 5:01 pm

I found myself gravitating towards lighter sticks. 5a to 7a.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

b b253
groove master
groove master

Post Sun May 17, 2009 9:17 pm

maybe i should mention that i hold the tips and i hit with the handles =) are 7a/5a's long?
Pulse double bass kit
Mapex M birch 5 peice kit
Mapex steel 10 by 5.5 side snare
Sabian xs20 cymbals
Zildjian Avedis
Tama hardware
Remo heads
Regal tip =)
http://www.myspace.com/thedrummerboyoftheworld
SGarrett

Post Mon May 18, 2009 3:25 am

Butt end = poor rebound.

When I'm curious about what specific size a certain stick is, I put a ".com" after the manufacturer's name. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
drumweezer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:32 pm

I like like longer sticks, but if the diameter gets bigger then 747's, I have a hard time gripping them for long periods of time. Don't know why. So, I tend to stick with 747's or 5a's.
http://www.myspace.com/princessandthecriminals
http://www.myspace.com/riotriotgrrl

Tama Rockstar Custom
Pork Pie Big Black
Tama Iron Cobra Pedal
Sabian AA
audiotech
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:40 am

I usually use a 7A or 5A stick depending on what I'm playing. Just about a year ago I came across Zildjian Heavy Jazz sticks, they fit my hands like a glove. They have a tapper similar to that of a 7A, but have the weight and length close to that of a 5A. They balance beautifully and hold up well without the tips chipping which plagues a lot of different wooden tips. They aren't for everybody, but they turned into my favorite sticks.

Dennis
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:30 pm

i personally always go for light, long sticks. Long for reach and light for precision when I'm doing softer, more intricate work on cymbals and toms. When I marched I of course used the long, heavy marching sticks, and for a while after i got into the drum kit I still used heavies. But a couple of years ago i found that training with the heavier sticks made my abilities with lighter sticks drastically improve.
Beat on.
SGarrett

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:20 am

In the past few years I've used 7a, 5a, 5b, and Harvey Mason signature. I use the VicFirth 5b because they fit my hands well. Dynamic control comes from my wrists and fingers. Fun story about that. When I used to work in a drum shop Mike Johnston and I were standing on opposite sides of the counter playing on a practice pad. Mike uses Vic 8d sticks and I was using some big-ass ProMark marching sticks (white with green accents). Mike plays ridiculously loud and I asked him, "how do you play so loud with such little sticks?" He replied, "how do you play so quietly with such big sticks?". I said, "wrists and fingers". He raised his eyebrow and smiled that knowing smile of his.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:41 am

dynamic control comes from your hands, but the sound characteristics of different stick sizes, tip styles, and shoulder tapers are different, and react differently to surfaces.
SGarrett

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:46 am

Bill Ray uses 2bs for everything he does. :)
ShadowDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:28 am

SGarrett wrote:In the past few years I've used 7a, 5a, 5b, and Harvey Mason signature. I use the VicFirth 5b because they fit my hands well. Dynamic control comes from my wrists and fingers. Fun story about that. When I used to work in a drum shop Mike Johnston and I were standing on opposite sides of the counter playing on a practice pad. Mike uses Vic 8d sticks and I was using some big-ass ProMark marching sticks (white with green accents). Mike plays ridiculously loud and I asked him, "how do you play so loud with such little sticks?" He replied, "how do you play so quietly with such big sticks?". I said, "wrists and fingers". He raised his eyebrow and smiled that knowing smile of his.

LOL I could see that happening. Small world.

As far as sticks I tend to be in the Vater 5b range and on some occasions 5A's.
I've downscaled considerimg I used to play David Silvera signatures.
Pearl Drums

Paiste Cymbals

Vater Sticks

Evans Heads
Patttriccccc
new
new

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:45 am

I prefer longer sticks and medium weight. I like the Promark 747b's the perfect stick for me.