Sweaty Hands

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

DrumStix22
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:57 pm

I have sweaty hands and tend to drop my sticks during gigs (sooooooooo embarrasing)
anyone know what sticks are good for sweaty hands?
coated, not coated?
I use vaters right now
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Get some Vic Tape or some other grip tape. That should clear your problem up!

I get sweaty feet and I play on tractionless Axis pedals! I need to get some Aqua-Socks =P
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:54 pm

or gloves, i use driving gloves sometimes, but i know alot of people who dont like how the gloves change the feel of the sticks in your hands. its alright with me though
screw you mike
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:56 pm

blastbeats666 wrote:or gloves, i use driving gloves sometimes, but i know alot of people who dont like how the gloves change the feel of the sticks in your hands. its alright with me though

Gloves worked for me for a little bit but eventually I stopped using them and the sticks felt so much better in my hands
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:00 pm

glvoes should do it

but you know, it mught be enough pack a hand towel
SGarrett

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:49 pm

Loosen your grip up a little. That'll let your hands breathe while you're playing. I always have a hand towel with me for both my head/face and my hands. I'll also wipe my hands on my pants during breaks in songs or between songs. I don't personally believe in grip enhancers. I'd just rather work on a proper grip.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Howepirate

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:14 am

SGarrett wrote:Loosen your grip up a little. That'll let your hands breathe while you're playing. I always have a hand towel with me for both my head/face and my hands. I'll also wipe my hands on my pants during breaks in songs or between songs. I don't personally believe in grip enhancers. I'd just rather work on a proper grip.

What he said ^^.

Oh and it helps if you tend to open your hands a bit when you're playing too and be very fluent. Try working on letting your fingers do some of the work instead of putting it all in your wrists. This will open your hands up and allow air to flow through your hands keeping you dryer.
DrumStix22
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:24 am

yeah i think ill work on my grip
anyone know any good videos for good grip??
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:49 pm

that all goes back to basic skills my man, watch some jojo mayer, secret weapons for the modern drummer, great vid for great technique
screw you mike
Howepirate

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:54 pm

DrumStix22 wrote:yeah i think ill work on my grip
anyone know any good videos for good grip??

Got something better than dial-up?

www.youtube.com... You're welcome.

Check out Dave Weckl back to basics stuff. I think he covers grip a lil.
Asdex
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:04 am

I think Vic Firth Akira Jimbo series has grip on the stick. Might feel weird at first but maybe you'll get used to it. I don't know why but for me, gloves makes it kinda more slippery than sweaty hands. I tend to drop stick a lot if I use glove, don't know why... lol..
Tama Superstar SX52
Tama Warlord Masai Snare
Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
Zildjian A custom, A Zildjian, K Hybrid, FX, ZXT and ZBT cymbals
Remo and Evans heads
SGarrett

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:18 pm

YouTube is the shizz, now. Look up DrumTeacher76, that's Mike Johnston. Also look up Dom Famularo, Jim Chapin, and Jojo Mayer videos.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Damagedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:21 pm

I've also had that problem and just about tried everything, from gloves, Zildjian Dipsticks to magnesium. With the gloves I just had less grip, because the imitationleather just wouldn't stick to the drumstick. The dipsticks ripped open my hands completly leaving them with blisters everywhere. Ahh yeah, I remember, that's when I got the gloves.. Anyway after that I've tried magnesium. Bought a block of the stuff at a local sportsshop and specifically asked if it would cause blisters. They said no...They were wrong. It works, but only if you use small amounts. After while I figured a towel would do the trick. After each song, just wipe your hands and sticks and you'll be fine. And what SGarret said, take a good look at your grip. Wristbands will also prevent sweat from your arms streaming into your hands.
taataataataatatatatadakadakadakadakadak!
SGarrett

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:30 pm

^^^Loosen your grip a bit, bro. Aside from ripping your hands apart, that's going to cause wrist issues. :)
Aleks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:10 am

I wrap my sticks in hockey tape where my hands are....On my thicker sticks I wrap a thick band around the bottom so they can't get through my hand....Works for me, and I think its comfy....Less blisters