Drum rack owners...

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:13 am

about how long's it take you took set up ur set using the rack? this applies esp. to those who use memory locks and don't move your clamps
Aleks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:12 pm

5-10 minutes, I can do it quicker if I need to, its putting all the crap on the rack that takes long
jaundiced
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:20 pm

It takes me about 20 minutes to set up completely. It'd be a lot quicker, but I use 11-13 cymbals and fine-tuning their position takes up several minutes. It'd take a lot longer if I used stands instead of a rack, though.
blasting tools provided by Trick drums and pedals, paiste cymbals, Hornets drumsticks
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:21 pm

how long would u think it'd take you to set up a rack with:

-2 racks
-a hanging floor
-a ride
-2 crashes

using memory locks and clamps un-moved?

oh and is it heavy? and how many peices is the rack (just the frame, not including arms and clamps)
jaundiced
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:44 pm

A set up like you're describing would probably be about 10 minutes (with clamps remaining stationary) depending on how fussy you are. I'm the type that will tinker with positioning until the set starts and still not be happy with it :lol: The rack configuration I'm using now has 3 legs and 3 curved pieces (1 long/2 short) and is not all that heavy to transport.
blasting tools provided by Trick drums and pedals, paiste cymbals, Hornets drumsticks
Aleks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:25 pm

Assback wrote:how long would u think it'd take you to set up a rack with:

-2 racks
-a hanging floor
-a ride
-2 crashes

using memory locks and clamps un-moved?

oh and is it heavy? and how many peices is the rack (just the frame, not including arms and clamps)

My current config is pretty close:

curved rack with both sides
3 crashes, 1 ride slung low
2 hanging floors on 1 double tom mount
1 hanging tom infront of snare

And I still keep it close to 10 minutes.....I use a sharpie marker on must of my stuff that doesn't have memory locks like cymbal arms and such, so I can quickly set it up in the same position every time....

As for weight, and pieces, I have a shorter rolling bag so my rack get disassembled into 7 pieces, but if I'm not using the bag its 5.....It is still heavy, but waaaayyyy lighter than carrying 3-4 tripod stands and all the clamps.....trust me I did that for a long time
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:14 am

from what you have a rack seems completely unnecisary(sp?)
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:02 pm

well, ive found myself in aposition as an actual gigging drummer

if my set stayed at home all day everyday it wouldnt bother me but having to set it up/carry it out every weekend is starting to get to me

other reasons. I like to have my 12 right in front of my snare and my 10 to the left of that. The only way to achieve this is using a clamp for the 10 (which causes a lot of adjusting problems for me cause i have to hook it to my crash) or buy a tom stand which means I need to a carry extra equip.

Also, in the near future I'm adding a 16 and hanging my 14 next to my 12. The need for a rack is looking inevitable anyways. Not to mention that I'm definately adding new crashes eventually

Plus, cmon, racks look fucking cool and clean. I already get a lot of recognition for not playing the typical backyard scene junker set. Having a rack I feel would give me a lot of stage presence and legitness
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:07 pm

Yeah man if you're gigging they're a great idea, especially if you have a lot of equipment. And like you mentioned, they look damn cool
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
DrummerZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:42 pm

I just got a new rack and it took me about... half an hour to get it perfect, keep in mind though it was including re-setting up my 8" tom, adjusting my 10" & 12" and moving my china, crash and ride around to fit in places.
I'm sure as hell not looking forward to setting up for a gig. Then again, I haven't got a gig to play. This town sucks for music.
I'M BACK!!!

Who cares. :D
Aleks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:55 pm

Like anything, you do it a few times and its all cake from there.... :mrgreen:

from what you have a rack seems completely unnecisary(sp?)

Says who? its a matter of flexibility in setup.....And it takes up less space
sam(otacon28)
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:22 pm

My rack set-up takes about 10 minutes to break down and have it ready to go . I have things memory locked so mostly my stand tops and mounting arms just get tilted down . I carry my rack away in 3 sections , so it's not much work at all . Like allready said too once you get a rack laid out for your particular kit and you break it down and set it up a few times you develope a pretty easy system of cutting the tear down / set up time down to being pretty minimal .

sam(otacon28)
Currently endorsed by Blastech drums & sponsored by Drum Star Wear , Xtreme Drummer , & Music Star Wear musician apparel
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:44 pm

sam(otacon28) wrote:My rack set-up takes about 10 minutes to break down and have it ready to go . I have things memory locked so mostly my stand tops and mounting arms just get tilted down . I carry my rack away in 3 sections , so it's not much work at all . Like allready said too once you get a rack laid out for your particular kit and you break it down and set it up a few times you develope a pretty easy system of cutting the tear down / set up time down to being pretty minimal .

sam(otacon28)

now that's what i wanted to hear. any suggestions on a good rack? hoping to keep it under $2-300

pics appreciated
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:40 am

Pearl Icon will cost ya a little over 300$ but its def worth it. It takes me about 10 to 15 mins to set up my whole set and I completely break everthing down. I dont think ya need a lot of drums to have a rack, i personally like it because you dont have any issues with placement and for mic'ing purposes there are no stands to get in the way of the mic stands. Plus when you are playing shows with multiple bands backlined you just pull the rack off of the stage and break it down in the back, gets ya out of the way much faster!

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:16 pm

that Pearl's sounding good

i like that u get me. once you start gigging, recording...everything changes