butt kicker anyone??

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

h8eternal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:41 pm

I have seen these things before in mags and stuff but I never really read up on them, The Butt kicker that is... so yea I kind of get what it does by reading the info on the musicans friend site but I still don't completely understand. I saw a picture of one mounted to a drum throne which I never saw before. can someone please explain to me what the purpose of it is? or has anyone used one?
thanks-
SGarrett

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:18 pm

It does what its name says, it shakes your butt. It creates the body shaking low end that in-ear monitors lack, to feel more like you've got a big monitor system. It connects to a PA pretty much just like in-ears, but you pretty much need a small one for yourself.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
DrumStix22
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:20 pm

hate eternal is brutal
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:30 pm

DrumStix22 wrote:hate eternal is brutal

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Because that's even close to relevant to the topic :roll:
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
Damagedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:43 pm

I have one, but I never used it because I don't have the right amplifier for it. And I'm afraid if I use one too strong that I'm gonna blow it up or something. Wich I'm not particularly looking for when it's positioned under my ass! So I need a specific amp of 4 ohm not stronger. I looked for it secondhand but then after searching for awhile my mind drifted off and now it just sitting in vain in my closet. But thanks, I'm gonna give it another try, because I heard they are great!
taataataataatatatatadakadakadakadakadak!
SGarrett

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:08 pm

Um, Ohm rating is not power rating. Why not buy one of the amps specifically made for it?
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Damagedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Well, at least secondhand there pretty hard to find, and pretty expensive. I've seen a few complete buttkicker kits secondhand with amplifier, but they would set me back like 200 dollars or something. And basicly I just don't have that kind of money. And as soon as I do have it, my cymbals coincidentally fall apart. So I was searching for a similar amplifier that would do the job aswell, but had no luck so far.. I also don't have a lot of knowledge on powerratings and stuff, so I'm just a bit worried to get the wrong stuff and breaking the kicker. But maybe I should just try it, because i'm not doing anything with it now. Tomorrow I'll look up the specifications on this thing and post them here. Hopefully some of you guys could help me out finding the right one. Or maybe at least tell me what to keep in mind spec-wise.
bermuda
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:45 pm

I've been using Buttkickers for about 5 years, and they're fabulous. I demand a lot of low end, and they don't disappoint, they're very responsive and thumpy (same units used in IMAX theaters.)

I have the signal from my kick gated to the Buttkicker (so the bass doesn't creep in, rumble, and take away kick definition) through a crossover to really focus the thump (I think my frequency is about 51hz) and then a Crown K2 amp.

There's little chance of blowing them, as there's a thermal fuse that shuts it down if it gets overheated (it comes back after about 15 minutes.) I had that happen a few times, and decided to mount the spare I carry on the same throne seat, so I have 2 on the seat for a quick switchover in case one blows. then I thought it might be best to run them in parallel and take the load off a bit, and I've had no problems whatsoever. In fact, I can't turn it up all the way anyway, it's pretty serious even at moderate levels.

I highly recommend them for anyone who can't get enough thump through a monitor, or where it becomes so loud that the house mix is compromised. That's where I was several years ago. I ran 2 mixes, one just for the kick, and the other also had a ton of kick in it. The kick in my monitors was the loudest sound on stage and often the loudest thing in the house. Yet it still wasn't enough for me, and the louder it got, the more hearing damage was being done.

So Buttkicker not only worked better for me and stopped the kick from competing with the mix, but it has undoubtedly stopped my hearing loss.

Bermuda
SGarrett

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:09 am

Thank you, Mr. Schwartz. I have no first hand experience with them, just what my customers talked with me about. :)

Your last paragraph just made me decide to get one of these, when I can. I'm always having that issue. And the last sentence is very poignant.
Damagedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:42 am

This is the one I got. The guy I bought it from said it was 4 ohms. The amplifier I have states 8 ~ 16 ohms. I've tried to connect to my module, but nothing really happened. So can I hook this thing up with amplifier I have, or do I really need a specific one to do the job. Hope you can help me out here, cause I'm pretty curious on how it plays.

Also the guys from wich I bought it said it works best if you mount it to a plateau of wood on wich you place your drumthrone. But everyone just seems to bolt it directly to the throne. In my case I primarily would like to use it at home, so it would be great if I could leave the kicker at home, but still take my throne with me. On the other hand, these things are probably made for live playing and if it works as well as you say I just might have to take it to shows with me.

Thanks in advance!!

SGarrett

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:13 am

Well, that's Bermuda Schwartz that plays with Weird Al, so if he says it works well live...it works! :)

If your amp has two channels you can bridge them to run mono at 4ohms. To do that, run the positive (red) from one channel to the positive on the butt-kicker and then the negative (black) from the other channel to the negative on the butt-kicker.
Damagedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:18 am

Wow cool! I bet he knows what he's talking about then! Thanks for the feedback, I'll try that. I do have to check if I have enough channels left, because I also have a monitor system hooked to the amp that consists of a 13" or so sub speaker and two 10" mid speakers. But at least I've learned something more now. Thanks!
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:54 am

The 8-16 ohm is the minimum impedance (resistance varies with frequency) the amp is designed to run at, if you bridge two channels with a 4 ohm speaker it will run at 2 ohms.
Check this link, it exmplains it pretty well:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-M2GIhOQYqCV/tech/kb334.html
Verify our range to target, one ping only…
bermuda
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:02 am

Damagedrummer wrote:Image

I'm not sure what that is, but it's not a Buttkicker. There have been several such drivers offered over the years, and only the Buttkicker is powerful enough to take on stage.

As for mounting, anything that attaches to the hardware or farther from the seat is not going to give the same thump as mounting directly to the seat. Here's mine before I mounted a 2nd one, and they fit very nicely:

The need (and idea) for a thumper goes back to the '70s, and required a cannister throne. Here's the one I used until 2004:

Apart from not liking a round seat, it was temperamental and seldom powerful enough for me. I was constanly trying to feed it more power, but only resulted in frying several speakers. While it was a better alternative to the volume of monitors, I wasn't happy and none of the 'shakers' on the market even came close to it. My search brought me to Buttkicker 5 years ago, and every time I play it's a treat.

Our crew invites anyone who's not familiar to sit on the seat and play the kick. Jaws drop. I should mention that the gals particularly enjoy it!

Bermuda
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:05 am

It's just like a Cerwin Vega bazooka tube
Verify our range to target, one ping only…