DB drumming shoes

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:31 am

what are the advantages to useing these shoes?
i just go with a pair of vans or DCs but does it really help you at all of does it just make you look cool?
screw you mike
nydubber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:37 pm

I think the DB's are a gimmick. Just my opinion, but I think someone tapped into a market that was WIDE open and got some big drummer names on board by throwing free gear at them to endorse the shoes. Reading up on them, there is very little that they offer that any other $50 shoe can't provide.

from DB website
dB Drum Shoe Key Points

1. Low toe spring - for a closer contact between you and the pedal
2. Durable rubber outsole with toe, heel and side kicks. Also narrower bottom for added flexibility for side to side movement
3. Track inspired adjustable lacing system to ensure your laces stay tight
4. Breathable upper mesh material - to keep your feet cool and dry
5. Perforated tongue for breathability
6. Lowered pattern height with achilles dip - helps eliminate ankle restrictions
7. Anti-fungal sock lining with arch support - helps to prevent odor when worn without socks
8. Vibration dampening mid-sole
9. Flat sole design - to ensure your entire foot has coverage on your pedals

Additional notations about dB's Drum Shoes:

* Extremely light weight
* Collapsible upper for easy travel
* Flexible construction
* Available in men's sizes 8-13
* All shoes medium widths
* If you wear a 1/2 size, it is best to go to the next full size down for proper fit since the shoes are intended to be worn without socks. If you wear a full size, get the full size.
* If not sure of the size, measure your feet and give us a call. We'll do our best to get you the proper fit.
* dB Drum Shoes are intended for drum playing only. Any other activity voids warranty. 30 day warranty on manufacturer's defect.
* Everyday street wear will greatly reduce the life of the sole on the shoe.
* $49.99 (IL residents 7.6% tax) + FREE Shipping in the Continental US, $10 for Canada, $20 for International orders

Comes to you with a broke in feeling, ready to wear as soon as your take them out of the box. Just lace up and start drumming.

"broke in feel"??? Are you kidding me? Go for a jog or two in your shoes to break them in. Not only does it get you out of the house for 20-30 minutes, it also warms up your legs (not to mention keep you in shape :))

Nothing else shown on the site would even remotely make me say to myself "wow, these will give me something above what I'm already using." It's like buying a Nike shoe thinking you are going to run faster than a guy buying the Adidas shoe. You are going to be faster if you ARE faster. Yes, they do play a SMALL % in overall outcome...but in the case of a drummer, sorry - Buddy Rich wouldn't have been any better or worse if he had used DB's.

I use Reebok Insta Pump Fury's or Puma Speedcats. Both are these exact colors. I prefer the Reeboks because they are insanely light and offer tons of air to get at your foot. Also, no laces and they always fit like a glove.

The Pumas are ok weight-wise (lighter than most normal shoes) and have tons of grip. They also have a very rounded toe area which is great for "feel" and feedback.

Sonor Performer/ZXT Titaniums/DW 9000/Sonor+Pearl Hardware
nydubber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:38 pm

sorry, just noticed the double-post. :|

:P
Last edited by nydubber on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonor Performer/ZXT Titaniums/DW 9000/Sonor+Pearl Hardware
possumofdestruction
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:15 pm

if Gene Hoglan can play as fast and precise as he can with steel toed boots and 5 pound weights on each ankle, then i say like he does, that drumming is 90% mental.
bash, bang, slam, whatever, yeah, ima drummer.
sowta90
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:56 pm

adidas superstars all the way
wouldn't have it any other way :D

they're so comfy

fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:05 am

Yea, Hoglan's a beast. Seriously, playing double bass at the high rates of speed that he does, while wearing bulky shitkickers, and ankle weights? I don't know what can top that. They're not really steel toe construction boots, more like bulky biker boots that are bigger.

But, as Gene said, 90% of drumming is mental, well at least to him, it is. Gene's the man! A favorite in my book. His work on Death's "Individual Thought Patterns" is amazing. Really technical and intelligent throughout the whole album, it sucks you in and makes you think. Playing to that album is not easy, but it's alot of fun once you get the hang of it.
yomega
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:46 am

I have a video on dB drum shoes if you care to take a look at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJg8vYQ32lw

possumofdestruction wrote:if Gene Hoglan can play as fast and precise as he can with steel toed boots and 5 pound weights on each ankle, then i say like he does, that drumming is 90% mental.

nydubber wrote:I think the DB's are a gimmick. Just my opinion, but I think someone tapped into a market that was WIDE open and got some big drummer names on board by throwing free gear at them to endorse the shoes. Reading up on them, there is very little that they offer that any other $50 shoe can't provide.
"broke in feel"??? Are you kidding me? Go for a jog or two in your shoes to break them in. Not only does it get you out of the house for 20-30 minutes, it also warms up your legs (not to mention keep you in shape :))
sorry - Buddy Rich wouldn't have been any better or worse if he had used DB's.

No one is forcing anyone to use dB shoes. If people want to use boots or skate shoes, then cool beans. However, dB shoes have more grip than skate shoes and allow you to feel your pedal more than boots and skate shoes. I had skateboarded for 10 years, so i have plenty of pairs of skateshoes to try out. The dB shoes weigh only 180grams which is half if not more than half the weight of skate shoes, and before i used dB shoes, after a gig I was airing out my shoes overnight so that the sweat drenched shoes were a little less damp. Whilst on tour you don't always have time to go break in a pair of shoes for 30 minutes by running around town. If you try the shoes new because you decide your old shoes have had it, then you're sweet to go right away with dB shoes. They are easy to put on and take off, easy to pack because they fold in half, and they are light for when you have weight travel restrictions, unlike boots. It seems rediculous, but flight companies can be VERY strict when it comes to the weight limit for luggage. Sometimes 200grams can make all the difference.

No endorsed artists get products for free. Oh and Buddy Rich was known for fast hands, not feet, hence why the shoes probably wouldn't benefit him.

When it comes down to it, what's important is, that you feel comfortable whilst playing. You won't know til you try. My pair has lasted 2 years and i play 4-5 days a week. Is $50 really THAT much?
www.myspace.com/petermooreaus
Trick Drums |Trick Pedals | dB Drum Shoes | Vater Sticks