gibraltar flat-base stands?

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:59 am

anyone out there own / ever try these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-Flat-Base-Straight-Cymbal-Stand-With-Brake-Tilter?sku=490681

i ordered a few of them to replace my heavy duty DW hardware on gigs where we're pressed for car space. heck... if they work out and can withstand a beating, i just might use them as my everyday stands.

i gotta say, i'm really looking forward to my hardware bag losing 2/3 of it's weight.

i have the snare stand (put my 12x7 tom on it) and the hi-hat stand (use it on my practice kit - actually pretty nice hi-hat stand) and have never had any problems with them / never felt they weren't sturdy enough.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:49 am

I haven't tried the Gibralter models but I have the Ludwig version, which look identical to the Gibralter link you posted. I have nothing but good things to say about them, they're solid, adjustable and lightweight. Unless you're a basher ala Dave Grohl, those stands will do everything you ask of them. They fold up small enough to fit in a duffle bag.
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:51 am

Airborne Ranger wrote:I haven't tried the Gibralter models but I have the Ludwig version, which look identical to the Gibralter link you posted. I have nothing but good things to say about them, they're solid, adjustable and lightweight. Unless you're a basher ala Dave Grohl, those stands will do everything you ask of them. They fold up small enough to fit in a duffle bag.

i am a pretty heavy hitter. not quite dave grohl but i'm definitely not a jazz player.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:12 am

They should be fine. I've used it a medium volume rock setting and had a pretty heavy ride cymbal on mine and it held up fine, ditto with my crash (I use a 2 cymbal set-up ala Ringo), I've hit the crash pretty hard and the stand didn't wobble at all. The only thing I would be afraid to try is continuous hard crash-riding, that might be a lot to ask of the stand.

here is the stand I have, almost identical to the Gibralter
www.musician.com/product/Ludwig-Retro-F ... sku=450313