removing / preventing rust and/or shell damage

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Miketh
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:51 am

I have a couple tiny little rust spots on the rims of one of my toms.

Can I get rid of that? And what should I do to prevent that from happening in the future?

Also is there some kind of oil I should use on my drum shells (maple w/ an emerald fade paint job)?

At my local store, I could only find either cymbal polish or 1 other kind that claimed to be for "everything." (which seemed odd so I didn't buy it) The guy at the store suggested a brilo pad for the rust, but I wasn't sure if he knew what he was talking about...
disrupt13
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:54 pm

Have you tried CLR?

Calcium lime and RUST remover?
It might help
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:26 am

If the rust isn't too bad any good chrome cleaner from the auto parts store will remove the rust and make your chrome clean and shiny. If the rust is more substantial though, I've used the aluminum foil method with great results. You crunch up a small piece of foil and wet with water or chrome polish to lubricate it and rub the rusted areas gently with the foil and the rust will disappear. Clean normally with chrome cleaner after and your rims will be clean and shiny. Some people use fine 0000 steel wool but I have never recommended that, it'll leave fine scratches, never use a brillo pad. Any method you use though be gentle, chrome can and will scratch.
MediCineMaN
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:04 pm

^ Kinda what he said. I refurbished my used custom kit which had rusted and corroded spots with Never Dull. You can get it at Auto Zone or Advance, it comes in a silver can. Bacically, its a cotton/loose polyester type material, and you take a pinch of it out.. (sorta like picking the cotton out of new medicine bottles). But, I recomend that because it cleans, SHINES beautifully! AND protects. Just be carefull around your drum finish, Im not sure if it harms it or not (i have an acrylic)

Psh, I even used that stuff on my stainless steel exhaust tips on my 88' Firebird :D 8)
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:59 am

My stands have some rust on them, especially my hihat stand, which is covered in the stuff
drumsjbutten
new
new

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:56 am

iv had same problem as my kit is outside in a stable, bit of a bum tbh
:(