stick question(please help)

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

chocobebear
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:54 pm

i want to know your opinion regarding the best stick for metal drumming(blast beats)...
help is very much appreciated
LET YOUR DRUMS DO THE TALKING
scottydont
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:34 pm

Whatever fits best in YOUR hand.
Some people prefer lighter sticks like 7As for blasting because they can blast faster. On the other hand some people dont like blasting with light sticks because it can lack volume so they might prefer 2Bs. Whatever works best for you. Personally i think 5As are a good middle ground stick. :D
Sonor
Zildjian
Evans
Vic Firth
Carlton Draught
MediCineMaN
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:38 pm

pshhhh I like Promark's 747b's! or 747 super rocks. The regular 747's are good to. Heck, try them all!
chocobebear
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:30 am

i've been using mike mangini sig sticks. i've been unhappy coz sometimes it feels heavy. that's why i asked for opinions coz i might want to change my sticks.
tero
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:19 am

i udes vic firth 5b but now i have pro-mark 5b. i really like them. i play metal, gothic and also some light stuff. pro-mark 5b work just great for me.

but this is just my oppinion. you should try different sticks and find what's best for you.
Tama Superstar Fusion Set
Remo Emperor/Ambasador
Remo EmperorX/Hazy 250
Remo Powersonic
Pro-Mark 747B, Pro-Mark Jason Bonham Signature
Paiste 2002 and Zildjian A Custom
Gibraltar Thorne
Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide Double Pedal.
sapazi13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:45 am

You could try the ahead sticks. They are made from metal, for metal. I personally have never tried them, but I'm sure you could get opinions from others around the site.
NeighborSpaceman wrote:
You only live once, so make a huge f***ing drumset and beat the hell out of it while you still can!
tero
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:46 am

DO NOT use metal sticks on drums.
Tama Superstar Fusion Set
Remo Emperor/Ambasador
Remo EmperorX/Hazy 250
Remo Powersonic
Pro-Mark 747B, Pro-Mark Jason Bonham Signature
Paiste 2002 and Zildjian A Custom
Gibraltar Thorne
Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide Double Pedal.
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:33 am

Lol
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:34 pm

It really depends on the way it feels in your hands. I usually use 2B but I have a few pairs of thin jazz 7A sticks around just because I get bored every now and then and like the feel of a thin drum stick while practicing.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
Edge3591
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:52 am

I used Ahead sticks for a few months...

Destroyed heads in weeks
Cracked several cymbals in a few months

The replaceable sleeves broke every few days which ended up being more expensive than replacing wooden sticks.

They are heavy and slowed my playing...
Kris
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:57 am

I don't believe that there is any one stick actually apprpriate for a style of music...sticks are used according to aplication/dynamics. In considering a stick much like our previous pedals conversation it all goes back to the fact that regardless of what stick you use, you still have to have the physical ability to play what it is that you are trying to play, and if you haven't honed your skills to that effect no stick in the world is going to make it any better....however weight ,balance and length can account for speed and power depending on the players development.

In short, don't depend on the stick , depend on your own ability , find a size that is comfortable for you and hone your ability...in other words practice, because their is no easy way out.
As we said with pedals, if you were in a sit in situation and didn't have your gear, in this case sticks, could you still pull it off based on your own ability regardless of what stick is there to be used. Obviously I am not expecting to sit down behind a kit and find a pair of Marching baseball bats or 2b's for that matter, so spare me the" what if's" and" Sep for's".

As for me I like the Pro mark 747 Nylon Oaks....
or the Silverfox 1A nylon.
Be Strong to Endure - Endure to be Strong !
www.krisardolino.com
http://www.myspace.com/krisardolino
ShadowDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:16 pm

Kris wrote:I don't believe that there is any one stick actually apprpriate for a style of music...sticks are used according to aplication/dynamics. In considering a stick much like our previous pedals conversation it all goes back to the fact that regardless of what stick you use, you still have to have the physical ability to play what it is that you are trying to play, and if you haven't honed your skills to that effect no stick in the world is going to make it any better....however weight ,balance and length can account for speed and power depending on the players development.

In short, don't depend on the stick , depend on your own ability , find a size that is comfortable for you and hone your ability...in other words practice, because their is no easy way out.
As we said with pedals, if you were in a sit in situation and didn't have your gear, in this case sticks, could you still pull it off based on your own ability regardless of what stick is there to be used. Obviously I am not expecting to sit down behind a kit and find a pair of Marching baseball bats or 2b's for that matter, so spare me the" what if's" and" Sep for's".

AMEN!

I recommend Vater 5B's or maybe Vater Xtreme 5B.....if you want to be crazy, try blasting with e Vater David Silvera sticks. If you do that PLEASE send me footage LOL. Your wrists would have to be the size of bowling balls for that ;P but it would give a KILLER bell tone.

Cheers
Pearl Drums

Paiste Cymbals

Vater Sticks

Evans Heads
Manzo
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:20 pm

all depends what feels good, experiment.

I love my hickory 5bs.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:44 am

Kris wrote:I don't believe that there is any one stick actually apprpriate for a style of music...sticks are used according to aplication/dynamics. In considering a stick much like our previous pedals conversation it all goes back to the fact that regardless of what stick you use, you still have to have the physical ability to play what it is that you are trying to play, and if you haven't honed your skills to that effect no stick in the world is going to make it any better....however weight ,balance and length can account for speed and power depending on the players development.

+1 my thoughs exactly. I use the Regal Tip 5B Nylon, regular nylon tip and their E-Series version as well.
chocobebear
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:02 am

I'M JUST ASKING FOR OPINIONS AND NOT THE ULTIMATES. COZ I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO "TRY THEM ALL."
IT SHOULD BE SKILL FIRST AND FORMOST I AGREE, BUT STICKS CONTRIBUTE A HUGE FACTOR. I'M NOT A NOOB SO I DON'T NEED SUCH COMMENTS...