Cymbal setup for church.

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

VictorQuinnHill
new
new

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:52 pm

Hey, thanks abunch to all of you that replied to this....it helped a lot.
found_drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:33 pm

I have played for multiple church services, and one thing was common with each setting I played in: the drums should be on the down-low in terms of volume (at least, with contemporary music services)

For these settings, I like to use splashes more than crashes. I mostly use an 8" K splash, a 10" A Extra Thin Splash, and then I use a Zildjian A custom 16" crash. Rides are trivial in terms of which one to use; it basically depends on which one you like.
I like to use 14" New Beat Hats whenever I play... mostly because I love my New Beats, but I guess that can be up to you as well.

Hope this helps!
Pearl drums, hardware, and pedals
Gibraltar Hardware
Zildjian Cymbals
Remo Heads
Vater Stick
DrummerSnake
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:02 am

If the people in your church don't like you're big-ass 34" double bass, 24 tom, 36 cymbol setup, they're going to the wrong church...

Of course, a mohawk won't hurt, either...
earldrum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:53 am

Gaddabout wrote:One other thing I should say about volume: I'm betting my church's worship team plays louder than some of your bands. In a modern worship setting, the cymbals would undergo the some concerns as most other band instrumentation.

So the point I made in my first post that it depends on many factors like: the band sound, sound of the building you are in, the sound that the congregation will deal with, etc. There are so many factors to deal with that we can't list them all. So there is no rules for playing in this situation. Sometimes if I am playing louder, rocking, worship gig I use will bigger, darker, and more agressive cymbals because it is a "rock" sound, but sometimes I won't. It depends on what I am hearing that day or what I want to play that day. This why I own about 28 differnent cymbals, but only use 2 crashes, 1 ride, 1 china, and 1 set of Hi Hats on my normal worship gig.

The truth is if you are a pro-level player than you can make music on thick, harsh, ZBT cymbals and still play with dynamics (which I have done this a few occassions. It was not my preference, but it worked).

The bottom line is if I am talking with a new/young drummer about how to deal with the majority of "church gigs" my recommedation would be thinner cymbals and learn to play with a lighter touch because most churches will not deal with a the "loud rock" drummer for long. I know that there are huge churches that have great sound systems and mic'd drum kits. But this is not the rule at every church.

Here's an example: I played a gig last night where there were 50 people in a store front church. I used a 20" Paiste Dark Energy Ride, 16" Paiste Traditional Thin Crash, 15" Sabian AAX Studio Crash, 16" Paiste Signature Thin China, 13" AA Sabian Flat Hats. The room was small (held 125 max) but the china worked here because of who I was playing with and my ability to play with a lighter touch when needed. Also, not a mic to be found on the drum kit - total acoustic gig like playing jazz - not drum shield either.

Lastly, Sabian AAX Studio crash cymbals don't sound shrill when mic'd properly. Actually the sound incredibly sweet, that's what they were designed for studio playing under microphones.
drumschick07
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:58 am

only agree with statement to a point ... the set up doesn't matter if you have a good sense of dynamics and a great touch on the cymbals. The room acoustics in most church building are not drum & cymbal friendly.

I agree with you, I guess I should have said that!
FrKn LoUd
earldrum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:41 pm

[/quote]I agree with you, I guess I should have said that![/quote]

I think you actually said it first! I agree with you. :)
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:29 am

BillRayDrums wrote:Thicker cymbals are louder. I'd go for the thinnest ones you can bear to play; volume has been and always will be a consideration when playing in a church, as you have the little old lady that INSISTS on sitting in the front row who 99.99% of the time bitches about the volume of the band. True story!

You've been to my church!
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

earldrum wrote:
Gaddabout wrote:One other thing I should say about volume: I'm betting my church's worship team plays louder than some of your bands. In a modern worship setting, the cymbals would undergo the some concerns as most other band instrumentation.

So the point I made in my first post that it depends on many factors like: the band sound, sound of the building you are in, the sound that the congregation will deal with, etc. There are so many factors to deal with that we can't list them all. So there is no rules for playing in this situation. Sometimes if I am playing louder, rocking, worship gig I use will bigger, darker, and more agressive cymbals because it is a "rock" sound, but sometimes I won't. It depends on what I am hearing that day or what I want to play that day. This why I own about 28 differnent cymbals, but only use 2 crashes, 1 ride, 1 china, and 1 set of Hi Hats on my normal worship gig.

The truth is if you are a pro-level player than you can make music on thick, harsh, ZBT cymbals and still play with dynamics (which I have done this a few occassions. It was not my preference, but it worked).

The bottom line is if I am talking with a new/young drummer about how to deal with the majority of "church gigs" my recommedation would be thinner cymbals and learn to play with a lighter touch because most churches will not deal with a the "loud rock" drummer for long. I know that there are huge churches that have great sound systems and mic'd drum kits. But this is not the rule at every church.

Here's an example: I played a gig last night where there were 50 people in a store front church. I used a 20" Paiste Dark Energy Ride, 16" Paiste Traditional Thin Crash, 15" Sabian AAX Studio Crash, 16" Paiste Signature Thin China, 13" AA Sabian Flat Hats. The room was small (held 125 max) but the china worked here because of who I was playing with and my ability to play with a lighter touch when needed. Also, not a mic to be found on the drum kit - total acoustic gig like playing jazz - not drum shield either.

Lastly, Sabian AAX Studio crash cymbals don't sound shrill when mic'd properly. Actually the sound incredibly sweet, that's what they were designed for studio playing under microphones.

Sure, everything is going to sound fine when mic'ed properly; but most churches don't have great sound men to work with to start.....

And the Vdrums suck - I hate hitting hard pads which basically "shock" your joints when going for the cymbal crashes. But alot of the idea is pleasing everyone anymore. Don't run off the old farts who have the money andtry to keep the younger people plugged in!
earldrum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:21 pm

skitch wrote:But alot of the idea is pleasing everyone anymore. Don't run off the old farts who have the money and try to keep the younger people plugged in!

This is the real essense of playing in Church. It is not about our way of playing drums and showing off what we can do, but it is about how we can perferring one another and play drums a little different then we like to so we do not offend another brother or sister.