How Many is Too Many?

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

screamkevin

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:24 am

3) You have doubles or even triples of many of the same things: thus showing off.

Sorry, Phoenix my friend, but I must disagree. Every cymbal has it's own voice, and therefore it's own use in any given musical situation. For example, my current Saluda cymbal setup includes three 18" Diamond series crashes; (2) in medium weight and (1) in heavy or "rock" weight. The pair of mediums sound completely different, even though they are from the same casting and same line. So I must beg to differ with ya there.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:08 am

to me, too many cymbals is when you hit one on the way to hitting another.
say...when you're going for your crash you hit the china that's right before it.
Beat on.
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:41 am

screamkevin wrote:
3) You have doubles or even triples of many of the same things: thus showing off.

Sorry, Phoenix my friend, but I must disagree. Every cymbal has it's own voice, and therefore it's own use in any given musical situation. For example, my current Saluda cymbal setup includes three 18" Diamond series crashes; (2) in medium weight and (1) in heavy or "rock" weight. The pair of mediums sound completely different, even though they are from the same casting and same line. So I must beg to differ with ya there.

I know what you mean... What I mean exactly is like, let's say you have 2 16" crashes... if they are both let's say... Sabian Vaults... I think that is pushing it... you have different weights and w.e... so that passes. :P Sorry for the misinterpretation lol
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
betterdrummerthanyou
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:07 pm

anavrinIV wrote:i have 8 cymbals right now....1 set of hats, 1 ride, 3 crashes (14, 18, 18), 2 chinas (18 and 12), 1 splash. i would like to add 2 more splashes, another china, 1 or 2 more crashes, another set of hats, and a couple bells. i love a big sound palatte. if you feel the need for more, get more. if you dont use what you have then i suggest that you save your money.

but remember, zildjian is crap...and you dont want to play crap, do you?

thank you... um... did you like, parody the thing that I wrote about Sabian?
MasterShake89
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:11 pm

betterdrummerthanyou wrote:How many cymbals is appropriate for certain sets? I have 5 cymbals on a five piece set and I still don't think that's enough.

depends on your personal preference. i say as many as you would like, and can use in a musical fashion. so go nuts.
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:15 pm

betterdrummerthanyou wrote:
anavrinIV wrote:i have 8 cymbals right now....1 set of hats, 1 ride, 3 crashes (14, 18, 18), 2 chinas (18 and 12), 1 splash. i would like to add 2 more splashes, another china, 1 or 2 more crashes, another set of hats, and a couple bells. i love a big sound palatte. if you feel the need for more, get more. if you dont use what you have then i suggest that you save your money.

but remember, zildjian is crap...and you dont want to play crap, do you?

thank you... um... did you like, parody the thing that I wrote about Sabian?

yes i did. i dont mind that you have an opinion but im really tired of reading that sabians are crap with no explanation or proof.

and i dont hate zildjians, i actually like them very much, theyre just not my sound...except for k custom sessions...theyre absolutely beautiful crashes.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
BoogieWoogie
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:30 pm

i wouldnt want more than

hi hat
ride
crash
crash
splash
china

thats the amount that i like anyways
^ THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!
sabianmaster
new
new

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:32 pm

Howepirate wrote:
betterdrummerthanyou wrote:How many cymbals is appropriate for certain sets? I have 5 cymbals on a five piece set and I still don't think that's enough.

I dont know ... but you cant go wrong with SABIAN :D

Amen to that!!! That's why i love being called the Sabianmaster!!
sabianmaster
new
new

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:36 pm

right now im on 8 cymbals...ride, 14,and two 16 crashes, hi hats, a china, a splash and a china splash...all SABIAN!!!! im getting more believe me...im working on a 7 piece set and have been given a drum endoresment by Brotherhood Drum Company for a custom made 7 piece (true double bass) and im workin a gibralter rack and to be honest it's not enough..im not happy til i own the entire Sabian catalog...one of each will suffice mind you but i want one of everything!!!! :twisted:
Disneyland Drummer
new
new

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:00 pm

SabianLudwigZildjianDW wrote:For me, i like to have two more cymbals than the number of drums. For Example i have a 4 Piece Set with 6 Cymbals. When i buy another Floor tom, i will force myself to buy a another Cymbal, the 6 Inch Zil Bel. :D

I am exactly like that with my drums and cymbals
ceej730
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:45 pm

after 10 its sorta a waste but anything under is do-able
Peavey Drums
Zildjian Cymbals
Dw/Pearl hardware
nickbaldwin
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:58 am

For my main set I will have hihats, 3 crashes, a ride and a china. But I can see myself going further and getting another 3 crashes, a crash ride, another china, a stack or two and a china ride....
Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage drums
Gibraltar 9600 hardware
Meinl Byzance cymbals
Pearl snare
dob?
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:19 pm

get as many as you want, just be sure you have a stand to put it on when you buy it (unlike me) :lol: ive done that more than once and ended up getting a 20 dollar gibraltar clamp online... so i have like 4 stands and 7 clamps . :shock:
midgetbradhs
new
new

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:02 pm

depends what sound your going for, but you need the basics -

1 hi hat
1 ride
2 crashes
and maybe a splash and china

u must have 2 crashes so u can put all force into smacking them, therfore giving an ultimate explosion of sound, seriously if u nt have 2 get 2
Alchemyspug
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:31 am

its personal preferance
you can have as many as you want
ludwig 5 pc. accent
dw hardware
pro mark sticks
remo heads
zildjian cymbals