How Many is Too Many?

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

betterdrummerthanyou
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:38 pm

How many cymbals is appropriate for certain sets? I have 5 cymbals on a five piece set and I still don't think that's enough.
Howepirate

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:59 pm

betterdrummerthanyou wrote:How many cymbals is appropriate for certain sets? I have 5 cymbals on a five piece set and I still don't think that's enough.

I dont know ... but you cant go wrong with SABIAN :D
SabianLudwigZildjianDW
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:54 pm

For me, i like to have two more cymbals than the number of drums. For Example i have a 4 Piece Set with 6 Cymbals. When i buy another Floor tom, i will force myself to buy a another Cymbal, the 6 Inch Zil Bel. :D
vgarate
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:41 am

betterdrummerthanyou wrote:How many cymbals is appropriate for certain sets? I have 5 cymbals on a five piece set and I still don't think that's enough.

It depend on what you do the most, your personal aproach to the instrument... if you like to accent some passages with cymbals or with your toms... adding cymbals is adding posibble sounds to do with your set, those that will let you play with more dynamic and feel.

Personally, I love tons of cymbals... and considering you can have more sounds from each one... the posibilities are limitless. :)
Stimpy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:18 am

I dont believe you can ever have "too many" cymbals. Its all about how many you want, whether you feel you have enough sounds to create the perfect piece of music. I have 6 cymbals, but wish i had about 3 more then ill be fine, though there are people who would have alot more than that or alot less. Its all about what you want man.
Mapex M Birch drums
Zildjian/Istanbul cymbals
DW 4002 double peddle
Mapex/Yamaha Hardware
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:29 am

I've got a 5 piece set(soon getting a 6 piece)and I have 11 cymbals/plus hi hats. :twisted:
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
bignickonthedrum
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:43 am

it ALWAYS depends on the situation. and I don't think it has nearly as much to do with drum/cymbal ratio, as it does with the number of sounds you're getting out of each instrument. if you're a jazz player, a great ride and set of hats and a 4 piece kit might be plenty.

in my punk band, I play a little bit more "elaborate" kit than my peers - meaning I use a five piece instead of a four, and I use two crashes. but that's just live. when I recorded two weeks ago, I put up four different crashes, just so I would have a more diverse and stereophonic sound.

PS Nothing beats a nice big-assed A Custom crash
"Music is like murder: you play like you're going to commit something." -Duke Ellington
sinborn
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:50 am

Too many is when you have 5 crash cymbals but you only hit the 2 in front. Or when you have china cymbals flanking your kit and you're playing in an all-acoustic band.

I've heard recordings with hihats and 1 cymbal that sounded great. I've heard em with I have no idea how many and they sounded great too.

I have 3 crashes 3 chinas (1 12" 2 bigger) 1 splash 1 ride 1 hats. I don't want any fewer than that. This is on a 5 pc kit.

Cymbals are the spice on the drumkit. Some music takes more spice than others. Judge how many you need by what you play.
MikeRowland
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:54 am

Depends on what you want to accomplish. I play in a couple of projects, and my kit varies with the situation. In my "Southern Bar Rock" band, I use a medium ride, two crashes (17" and 18"), and some dirty hats. If we are doing an acoustic gig, I'll take it down to a 16" crash, 10" splash, hats, and a ride. However, in my main project, I have two rides (one dry, one medium), two hats (13 K/A Mastersound, and 12" Re-Mix) 15, 16, 17, and 18(2) inch crashes, two chinas, and assorted splashes and bells. This gives me all the tools I need. This is all on a 6-piece shell kit. So really, there is no set number of cymbals. Just consider this: Are you utilizing them, or just trying to impress? Also consider the type of music. A Mike Portnoy kit on a pop or country gig might be a bit much, but then again...
PerKuhShunIst
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

vgarate wrote:

It depend on what you do the most, your personal aproach to the instrument... if you like to accent some passages with cymbals or with your toms... adding cymbals is adding posibble sounds to do with your set, those that will let you play with more dynamic and feel.

Personally, I love tons of cymbals... and considering you can have more sounds from each one... the posibilities are limitless. :)

'vgarate' You summed the topic up with just about what I would have said.

IE: 'betterdrummerthanyou' I'm not sure your asking the right question.
To me asking other drummers how many cymbal voicings you should have doesn't - shouldn't matter to anyone but you being the one at the drivers seat of your style your sound. I believe your the only that could answer the question.
"It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities without your help."
rto254425
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:16 pm

depends on the music situation. when i played in a cover band that played everything from dead to zeppelin, clapton, ac/dc, etc. i felt i needed lots of different colors. so i added cymbals.

my kit would be anywhere from 4 piece to 7 piece. I use the number of cymbals i think is right. But this would be my core stock.

4 crashes, 2 splashes, 1 hats, 1 ride, 2 bigger chinas, and 1 smaller china.

the crashes are 15, 16, 17, and 18 A custom crashes. Splashes are 10 and 12. hats 14, ride 20. The chinas, 20" Swish, and 18" fast chinese. also have a small 14" chinese.

I think i have pretty much any situation covered if needed. i think everything is very versital (sp?)

Ruben
Pearl Drums, Tama pedals and hi hat, Zildjian/Sabian cymbals, Pro Mark sticks
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:54 pm

i have 8 cymbals right now....1 set of hats, 1 ride, 3 crashes (14, 18, 18), 2 chinas (18 and 12), 1 splash. i would like to add 2 more splashes, another china, 1 or 2 more crashes, another set of hats, and a couple bells. i love a big sound palatte. if you feel the need for more, get more. if you dont use what you have then i suggest that you save your money.

but remember, zildjian is crap...and you dont want to play crap, do you?
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
osiris90210
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:06 pm

well i figure there is always room for another cymbols, personally i have a 9 peice kit with only 5 cymbols,
i wanna get a heap more tho, i think ill leave it at 9 cos im already having a little bit of trouble fitting them in,
but once i get more of them ill overlap and all that, i dont like having them up to high so i leave them only on 2 levels, but yeah,
if they fit, have them
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:00 pm

How much is too much? Try asking Teri Bozzio that question.

Or my drum teacher, he just spent $3000 on a set of Radia's that he had to special order.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:25 pm

You reach too many cymbals when:

1) You have no more room on your set in the specified area...

2) Your mother is threatening to take them and throw them out/sell them.

or

3) You have doubles or even triples of many of the same things: thus showing off.

I have a 5 piece drumset, and one 16" crash, one pair of 14" hats, one 18" crash ride, one 20" ride, one 7" bell, one 12" china, and one 18" china.
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.