Mixing Cymbal Companies

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:35 pm

I really like the Meinl Bell Blast ride, but I play mostly with Sabian stuff... Is it bad to mix cymbal lines? I know, I know, it's all taste and what sounds good, but do you think Mb10 cymbals would match well with say, the AA Metal-X line?
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:49 pm

In my cymbal setup I have B20 cymbals mixed with B8 ride(paiste 2000). Works well for me:)
dim my eyes if they should compromise
ShaggyTheDrummer
new
new

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:01 pm

Yeah, man. Cymbals, like all drums and music, is preference. I have Zildjan, Sabian, and Wuhan cymbals for my set and have been looking into getting so paiste soon. . . Whatever helps develop your sound, I say go for it. . .
bongojohno
new
new

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:02 pm

Not mixing cymbals is retarded....literally! You stunt your growth of experience and increase ignorance. I've talked to drummers that only use this or that....what about variety? Ive got $400 cymbals and $10 on the same rack!! Switch it up! Paiste still the best / Ufip / Z's / sabians / But is there any greater pedal than the DW-9000?
Bongojohno
Mr.Jack
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:08 pm

Every Cymbal is unique.
I play several Cymbalcompanies on my Set.
I think it's important to select your cymbals by their sound.
It doesn't make sense to buy a complete Cymbalset if you are not able to play the cymbals before and look what they sound like.
So if your Cymbals sound good its ok to mix several companies in one set.If your sound suffers because you want to play only one company I would say let it be :!:
Tama Starclassic Bubinga!
It's better than a Girlfriend ;)

I'm so sorry if my English isn't as well as it should be...
ludwigdrummer29
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:26 pm

bongojohno wrote:Not mixing cymbals is retarded....literally! You stunt your growth of experience and increase ignorance. I've talked to drummers that only use this or that....what about variety? Ive got $400 cymbals and $10 on the same rack!! Switch it up! Paiste still the best / Ufip / Z's / sabians / But is there any greater pedal than the DW-9000?

not mixing cymbals is retarted...all ive got right now are zildijans...and that makes me retarded.i had a lot of other cymbals that i dident like and got rid of them.no its not bad to mix cymbals.but its not like you have to...i love my zildijans and thare the only ones ive found that i like. if some one else makes some thing i like ill buy it
ludwig drums get better with age.
my music myspace
pyrokatana
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:38 pm

i would say, don't worry about it until you're sponsored, but by that time, everythings free and your two cents will actually influence development of a new tech for the company...

but.

mix -em. I mean, isn't zildjian and sabian the same? I mean wasn't it just zildjian before, then they broke up (something about two brothers running the gig) and two companies formed?

cymbals are cymbals...
use the ammonium cleanser stuff to take everything (labels and all) off the cymbal, then what do you have left?

a piece of metal. and maybe a hard to see manufacturer's stamp.
~Monty-Negro
stef1801
new
new

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:57 pm

My son and I prefer to use Sabian for our splashes....we use Zildjian for everything else. I'm only sold on SOUND not namebrand. If it don't sound right, I don't care if your cymbals are worth millions and all the star drummers endorse ya line. If it dont sound right in my living room right her in Cleveland, I don't rock it.....
stef1801
visit me @ myspace.com/2189
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:04 pm

mixing cymbals is the best thing you can do, never pay any attention to the name or model of a cymbal. If its not a good cymbal you'll hear it, my friend has a pair of b8 hi hats that sound amazing and iv play sabian hhx cymbals that i thought sounded like total crap. its all about the sound. hit the cymbal,play on it. if itsounds good its good. no matter the make, price or model
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Fuckin' Slayer
new
new

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:14 pm

theres nothing wrong with mixing cymbal brands. Paul Mazurkiewicz from Cannibal Corpse does it, and im sure other professional drummers do it too
TAMA DRUMS
SABIAN/TAMA CYMBALS
TAMA/YAMAHA HARDWARE
PEARL PEDALS
VIC FIRTH STICKS
mlumpkin13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:23 pm

If you can only get the sound you're looking for by mixing, then go for it. As long as Sabian isn't writing you a check and giving you free cymbals then it doesn't really matter what anybody says. Joey Jordison plays Pearl drums and Tama hardware AND pedals. If the pros can mix and match then why can't we?
Tama Drums and Hardware, Sabian AAX Cymbals, Remo Heads, & Pro-Mark Sticks
opethmurillo05
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:26 pm

i would say that ride would match the metal x line
nitro_drummer
new
new

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:41 pm

Yeah mixing cymbols i think is great also. I have Sabian, zildjian, A custom, wuhan, paiste, K's, and a little 6inch no name cymbol i found in a music class garage sale that i drilled out to fit on my stand. So i think they all add there own touch to my playing style and they all come in handy when im lookin for a certain sound. Something i saw at guitar center the other day is they had 2 wuhan 12 inch china splashes, one normal and the other flipped upside -down ontop of the other. Cheap cymbals that sound great and this way made a cool sounds to. Try it if you get a chance.
Think Outside the Beat
lousypadrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:56 pm

I like the Sabian AAX, but I don't like their China's. I use a Wuhan china's 12" and 18". They have a nice trashy sound, with just the right amount of decay.
meizmatt
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:52 pm

i used to shop only zildjian because that was all i knew, i didnt really know too much about other brands. since i started researching more about other brands my mix of brands has grown to include Istanbul, wuhan (the 12 dollar china that comes free with a block of sticks), and UFIP. so to actually answer you question your gonna have to try it out in the store, and then see if it sounds good with the other cymbals on your rig, if you go to GC(idk about Sam ash) they have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, so if you take it home and decide its not what your looking for, you can bring it back and tell them your not satisfied, the only thing is, you get store credit back, not cash.