earthworks, black mist, or ion v owners

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept
Location: trapped in my girlfriend's bass drum, scared and alone. oh, and upper indiana.

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:51 pm

can i get some "reviews" or some words on your experience with these cymbals? im thinking of ordering a 16 or 17 crash.
thanks so much.
Joezeppi wrote:I can see how people would bash you for using gloves, kind of like a quarterback that wears gloves, he just looks like Michael Jackson out there, and we all know Michael Jackson likes young boys.
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:04 pm

i have a full set of black mists,
the crashes are really dark
quick decay
a real quick burst then they get out of the way
i wouldn't really recommend them for metal
but they do good in the fusion/jazz/improv/indie stuff i play
drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept
Location: trapped in my girlfriend's bass drum, scared and alone. oh, and upper indiana.

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:46 am

if im going for an earthworks crash, they're the same price as a crash-ride, so should i just get the crash-ride if i was going to?

whats the difference in the crash and the crash-ride in this case? besides "its a ride too, duhh"

because i know that
Joezeppi wrote:I can see how people would bash you for using gloves, kind of like a quarterback that wears gloves, he just looks like Michael Jackson out there, and we all know Michael Jackson likes young boys.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:22 am

thicker heavier cymbal. sometimes a smaller bell to tighten up the sound a li'l bit.
custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:48 am

ok, should i just go for a crash-ride then? cause thicker means harder to warp, right? not that im going to go bashing the hell out of a black mist crashride when i get one.
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:55 am

no no no, thicker = less crash sound more gong
thicker = easier to break

if you're going for a big crash sound just get a big crash
19-20 inch crash
drums - pacific LX
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:16 pm

crash rides are generally thicker cymbals that can be used as either a crash or a ride, but they don't seem to do either very effectively in my experience. if you're going for a crash cymbal just get a crash, a ride just get a ride.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:22 pm

thinner rides tend to work better as crash/rides then actual crash/rides
so if you're going for a big crash/ride sound but with more crash i'd get a thin ride
drums - pacific LX
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:32 pm

with the exception of the dream crash/rides, which seem to work well for both.

they're very dark and low-pitched tho. not exactly what I'd recommend for cutting through a rock band.
custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:51 pm

yeah colin has one and its not much of a ride, but then its a beginner's zildjian crash/ride. so idk.