Using a ride cymbal as a crash.

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:24 pm

ChronicBeatMaster wrote:
whiskeydick wrote:I play with two cymbals, a 17 in z custom crash and a 20 inch ride. I crash on both and ride on the 20 when needed. Its nice because I can limit the number of cymbals and stands I need. Cymbals are versatile and you don't need more than two crashes, any more makes you a cymbalist, not a drummer.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

if it's what works for his particular expression, it's not stupid.

by the same token, if having a lot of cymbals works for what someone else is doing, I think it's equally valid.

people get so narrow-minded about equipment choices. I recently went from a crash, ride and hihat back to a larger setup like I had used in the past. Now I'm also using an additional crash, a bell cymbal, splash, and either a 14" or a 19" china. I don't feel like using more cymbals has turned me into a "cymbalist". What's so wrong about someone wanting more colors on their palette? What's so wrong about someone wanting to use a minimal amount of equipment?
Mike_Drums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Alan_ wrote:
ChronicBeatMaster wrote:
whiskeydick wrote:I play with two cymbals, a 17 in z custom crash and a 20 inch ride. I crash on both and ride on the 20 when needed. Its nice because I can limit the number of cymbals and stands I need. Cymbals are versatile and you don't need more than two crashes, any more makes you a cymbalist, not a drummer.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

if it's what works for his particular expression, it's not stupid.

by the same token, if having a lot of cymbals works for what someone else is doing, I think it's equally valid.

people get so narrow-minded about equipment choices. I recently went from a crash, ride and hihat back to a larger setup like I had used in the past. Now I'm also using an additional crash, a bell cymbal, splash, and either a 14" or a 19" china. I don't feel like using more cymbals has turned me into a "cymbalist". What's so wrong about someone wanting more colors on their palette? What's so wrong about someone wanting to use a minimal amount of equipment?

well spoken sir
cymbalsonly.com
Bosphorus Cymbals
MannyDrums14
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:45 pm

most of the time i play with two cymbals plus my hats right now its a 20 in sabian b8 ride and a 18 in meinl crash and i love using my ride as a crash i use it for both too
Everybody Wang Chung Tonight.
ChrisNichols
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:34 am

I've got a 22" ride that I use as both a crash and a ride. It gives a really BIG sound when you crash on it though, so it's something I employ tastefully.
This could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire.
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:52 pm

I use my old ride as a crash. it has a really deep sound too it, but you have to give it a good whack for it to open up.
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
lexington
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:49 pm

i crash on my ride quite a lot, it gives the whole thing a thicker beefier sound if you know what i mean?
as for the minimalist cymbal thing, i don't think its a problem either way. i'd go further and say more, but i would just be repeating other posters.
i use 14" hats, 16" crash, 18" crash, 20" ride and 18" china.
at times i have thought this is too much, but also not enough. ah well!
Jimbob2020
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:46 pm

anavrinIV wrote:
whiskeydick wrote:Cymbals are versatile and you don't need more than two crashes, any more makes you a cymbalist, not a drummer.

imo, that's a very generalized and narrow minded comment. you may not need more than 2 crashes, but how can you say that I don't? what if the music I play calls for crashes with different sound colors, and just 2 can't deliver the variety I need? am I also limited to 1 ride and 1 set of hihats?

Great point :!:
DW Collector's
Ludwig Classic Maple
Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau
Meinl Byzance, Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian Platinum Cymbals
DW 5k & 9k Hardware
Evans and Remo Heads
Vic Firth
MrPowerRide
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:27 pm

it is against my religion to hit a ride as a crash. even though some of my favs do it on occasion, i can't get myself to do it and am a firm believer of not hitting them like crashes.
Paiste Cymbals and Pearl Drums
Llama_Dude
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:30 pm

I've got an A custom Medium Ride and it has a BEAUTIFUL clear and cutting crash. and as for what I use as a Ride... the same. thats the point.
"Your gonna blow the amp man, and blowing is NOT cool!!!"- My Bassist
mesa37018
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:32 am

i do it
it started out of need because someone stole one of my stands so i was out a cymbal as well
so i just played with my ride and crash
MrPowerRide
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:50 am

Jimbob2020 wrote:
anavrinIV wrote:
whiskeydick wrote:Cymbals are versatile and you don't need more than two crashes, any more makes you a cymbalist, not a drummer.

imo, that's a very generalized and narrow minded comment. you may not need more than 2 crashes, but how can you say that I don't? what if the music I play calls for crashes with different sound colors, and just 2 can't deliver the variety I need? am I also limited to 1 ride and 1 set of hihats?

Great point :!:
I recently played my set with only two crash cymbals, cause i sold one and my new TRX's werent in yet. I will say this, it was wierd. I have always played minimum of 3 crashes, usually 4. now i'm back to four. Some of the bands we emulate (cause we are a cover band) the drummers have shedloads of cymbals. They would use them too, different sounds. For instance, green manalishi, he hits four crashes in a row (i believe at three different ones), once i went down to three crashes i incorporated my china as the fourth hit. Could go back to the other crashes, but it just doesnt work for me. Now that i'm sponsored, im actually going to go with a full cymbal line up like i have always wanted, 4 crashes, 2 rides, 2 hihats , 2 chinas and 2 splashes (will add these later, not an immediate want) I love cymbals, lots of different lines give you different sounds for different situations and i think this makes you a drummer, not a cymbalist.
Then again, absolutely nothing wrong with people who play 1 crash, 1 ride and one set of hihats. More power to you for saving a lot of cash and being happy with that. I unfortunately NEED and WANT a lot of cymbals. I'm addicted :)
Paiste Cymbals and Pearl Drums
OnusPro
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:13 am

I have and use 2 rides and 2 sets of hihats, 3 crashes, 2 chinas, and a splash. Cheers from a cymbalist (cymballer?)!
Brian L
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

ive been considering just using my zildjian a series fast crash, and taking off my a custom projection crash. having high hats, one crash, and a ride. i love a simple looking drumset. and i find myself not using the extra crash anyway. so i figure save myself the room. funny, you would think since i have been drumming longer, i would be adding on, not taking off. any thoughts?
2008 Pearl Forum(black)
Ddrum s2 maple snare(black fade)
Remo Coated Emperor snare head
Remo Pinstripes
Evans Emad 2
Tama Road Pro Pedals
Zildjian crashes
Sabian high hat and ride
PDP/Pearl hardware
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:49 pm

the rides i play are just way to heavy crash. they dont sound good as crashes anyways.
screw you mike
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:52 pm

My ride is actually pitched to about the same pitch as my 17 inch mist -x thin sooo, crashing it is kinda pointless because it just sounds like a thinker version of the 17". I do plan on getting a newer ride, thin and dry so crashing will be a option.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals