My next pair of hi-hats, help!

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:41 am

I'm ordering them soon! The problem is that I have not decided... the crack on top of my current hi-hat top is getting worse and worse, and since we're a bunch of guys ordering various stuff I want to order the hi-hat at the same time to avoid expensive shipping costs. I can't go to a local store because they don't hold high-end cymbals. I have about 300 euros to spend, so pretty much whichever is fine. Don't offer Saluda please, I don't have anything against Jamie or Saluda cymbals which I have yet to try, but I don't want to order from the US, and I'm just not ready for Saluda yet.

So, the whole point is that I want to you spit out every single experience you have from whichever pair of hi-hats. Tell me why they're good, what styles you'd use them for, if they're worth the price, whatever, anything! If you just want to nod in agreement when you see a post about any certain hi-hat, you do that. Thanks all!
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:27 am

I'm thinking about Zildjian A-Custom 14" Mastersound hats, what can you tell me about them?
Asdex
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:39 am

Don't know much about them, but why not trying the K hybrids if you like mastersounds? I personally really like them and I might be getting a pair of 13.25" when I'm going with my family overseas...
Tama Superstar SX52
Tama Warlord Masai Snare
Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
Zildjian A custom, A Zildjian, K Hybrid, FX, ZXT and ZBT cymbals
Remo and Evans heads
a7xjlee
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:41 am

well personally i found the a custom mastersounds to be pretty heavy hats i didnt rearly like em that much there thick so give of good chick and cant remember the open sound.

I own a pair of 13" k custom hybrid hi hats and let me tell u i tried soo many hats and this one always stood out. Its the bomb pretty thin with really crisp stick definition when closed and then really nice washy open sound because there pretty thin. I wouldn't say there really dark compared to other k's i think the brilliant part of the finish may have something to do with them.
they have a rippled bottom on the bottom hat helps for fast responsive crispness

A series new beats are really nice i like them they are also pretty crisp and nice washy open sound

aa-xcelrator hats these were my second choice there pretty dang nice. bit thicker then the other but still great washy open sound and great crisp stick definition the whole in the bottom hat helps give a more responsive crisp tone i believe.

Thats about all i can conjour up for now but hey people might disagree afterall im not to great at discribing sounds
Damian king 2001 "Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitement of the potential"
b b253
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:56 am

eml wrote:I'm thinking about Zildjian A-Custom 14" Mastersound hats, what can you tell me about them?

those are nice! when my school had a band come to our school the drummer had those hats. they were very cut threw and had a reay nice sound semi opened.
Pulse double bass kit
Mapex M birch 5 peice kit
Mapex steel 10 by 5.5 side snare
Sabian xs20 cymbals
Zildjian Avedis
Tama hardware
Remo heads
Regal tip =)
http://www.myspace.com/thedrummerboyoftheworld
SCELEDRA
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:04 am

I have a pair of 14" Custom A Mastersound hats and would say they are a versatile set giving you the ability to play various genres of music. I think the Custom A line is like that in general. Originally I was trying to find a pair of 15" hats, which i believe is what Mike Bordin from Faith No More uses, but I couldn't find them used. I employ them as my main set of hats for Metal/hardcore/Industrial type stuff and they work great. I have a set of 14" Meinl Soundcaster Custom medium Soundwave hats, that while I like them better, I still have not made them my main hats. As much as I've come to dislike Zildjian, I have to say they are some great hats, particularly when purchased second hand. I'd really like to find a pair of Bosphorus hats to replace the Zils but it's not a priority anytime soon.
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:26 am

Hmm well I still can't decide. I'm considering the Custom A Mastersound hats and the K Custom 13" Hybrids... anyone else want to suggest a pair of hats? I don't care about brand or anything. The most important thing is that they have to be pretty versatile, and that they don't make me deaf when I play them half open (is that even possible?).
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:49 pm

In order of what I like:

1. Meinl Byzance Traditional Heavy
2. Zildjian K Custom Hybrid.
3. Meinl Byzance Brilliant Heavy
4. Meinl Byzance Traditional Medium
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
its-all-gravy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:08 am

Meinl MB20's
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:40 pm

eml wrote:I'm thinking about Zildjian A-Custom 14" Mastersound hats, what can you tell me about them?

I have both the 13 and the 14's theyre great. nice bright cutting and crisp.
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:07 am

sabian hh regular hats are absolutely beautiful but very pricey...the fusions sound even better when closed but the weight of the bottom hats kills the open sound for me. since you're in europe check out the paiste signature soundedge and 2002 soundedge hihats as well...I have the 2002s are they are beautiful cymbals when mixed with other paistes. if you're looking for turkish style, the sabians I mentioned are good as well as the a custom mastersounds and the slightly more versatile a series mastersounds, as well as the a series quickbeats which are just gorgeous.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:32 am

cant go wrong with some A's, they are a type of cymbal i really like the sound of, but i dont have as wider range of top end cymbals to compare them to. But i personally prefer them over A custom
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
mmmmdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:18 pm

A's are cool.... I have some new beats, they got the job done for a very long time

I have like almost every pair of K's that I've heard....

right now I am using Soultone Vintage series 14s and I love them and actually choose them over my Stani's.... very crisp/versatile... i wish I had a recording of them....
Check out my new tunes!

myspace.com/anjillapiazza

Ludwig classic maple drums
Supraphonic Snare
Regal Tip and Vic Firth Sticks
I proudly endorse Soultone Handmade Turkish cymbals
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:49 pm

i really do not know much about thoes but you should check out the Zildjian k-custom hybrid hi hats
or the high definiton hi hats.
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:53 pm

Ive been using 14 A Custom Hats for about 14 years. I've tried to switch to another pair just for the sake of trying a different sound but I just love the way they sound so much that I go right back.
myspace.com/charettamusic
drums-Drum Workshop Lavender to Black Burst w/black hardware
cymbals-Anything that sounds good!
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
sticks-Vic Firth 5A (endorser)