Time for a new pair of hats :(

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:25 am

I found a crack on my 2002 heavy 15" hats today and it's definitely too late to fix it. I was kind of "lucky" to find it, as I just grabbed my hihats and spun them so the crack came right in front of me, it had been turned away from me earlier (sorry if my English isn't making sense, I'm kind of drunk at the moment). Well, certainly sucks, as I spent my money on a new throne, metronome and headphones and am planning to buy a new kit in a month. My Tama Swingstar isn't attracting me much, so I thought I'd keep my decent cymbals and upgrade to a decent kit. Here's my setup:

KIT: Tama Swingstar with the weirdest inner "ply" I've ever seen. Doesn't look like wood, it's a mix between gray and black 'spots'.
22" bassdrum
12" tomtom
13" tomtom (not using it, can't get it tuned, am constantly trying though (bad bearing edges?))
16" floor tom
14"x6.5" snare (steel)

CYMBALS:
15" hihats Paiste 2002 Heavy
16" Medium Crash Paiste PST5
19" Rock Crash Paiste PST5
16" China Paiste 802
20" Ride Meinl Meteor

I'd say these are decent cymbals. I would much rather have replaced my ride before my hihats, although I'm not very fond of either. My hats are really dark, and I can't for the love of god play them half-open at a low volume, they really make my ears bleed! So I'm looking for some hats with higher pitch (probably my current hats are just lower than normal), and this time I'll get 14" hats; 1) they're easier to position 2) I seem to get better rebound from 14" hats...?

My price range is not much, maybe 150-300$. I'm thinking about the PST5 14" medium hi-hats, as I've heard them on a recording (which of course doesn't make up for a first person experience, but there aren't any stores with a decent selection here), but surely there are other brands than Paiste that can offer good hats for an affordable price too. I think I might be able to go with Saluda too, Jamie said shipping a 17"/18" crash to Finland would be 55$, so I suppose a pair of 14" hi-hats would be about the same price, probably a lil' bit higher. What can you tell me about Saluda's hi-hats? I play heavy rock with influences of punk/metal, and when I'm along I like to play to funk/pop.

Thanks for ze help :>
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:34 pm

Woah, just talked with my mom... my budget just went up from 150-300$ to 350-500$ :D HA! I can buy a pair of high-end hi-hats now... or a pair of hats + a new hat from Saluda? YIKES.
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:01 pm

if your going for saluda why would you buy a pair of hats and a new hat from saluda? (unless one is going to be an X hat)

For Saluda Mist X or Earth works sounds good for your styles that you play.
Maybe even diamond.
For Paiste I would say give their Dark energies a listen(it's the only Paistes I could get into)unless you know what series you want from them.

Also check out A Custom Hi-Hats (their Master Sounds are Nice!!!)
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
Olimpass
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:46 pm

I 've used a cutoff wheel on an airgrinder to cut away my hat a year ago and still use it and it sounds fine on my Zildjian rock hats. It needs to be rounded off nice so the crack wont continue spreading. here's a pic.

Last edited by Olimpass on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:28 pm

I love Cheese and drums wrote:if your going for saluda why would you buy a pair of hats and a new hat from saluda? (unless one is going to be an X hat)

For Saluda Mist X or Earth works sounds good for your styles that you play.
Maybe even diamond.
For Paiste I would say give their Dark energies a listen(it's the only Paistes I could get into)unless you know what series you want from them.

Also check out A Custom Hi-Hats (their Master Sounds are Nice!!!)

Woops, I meant a pair of hats and a crash :/ drunken typo. I think I will read some more about Mist Xs, and send Jamie another email. How are the Dark Energies then? Sounds like they're dark... I'm looking for bright/brighter hats.
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:29 am

you could just replace the broken cymbal (buy a new top or a new bottom) and use the change to buy a new ride.

ebay that shit.

i was in the same boat. got a new 15" mastersound top for $75.

a week later i won a pair off 15" sabian AA sizzle hats for $85
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:43 am

heh, it always tickles me when I see that I'm not the only player in the world left who uses 15" hihats.
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:01 am

Alan_ wrote:heh, it always tickles me when I see that I'm not the only player in the world left who uses 15" hihats.

Well, I had my mind set on changing them, but I'm beginning to like them a lot now. I've learned to use bounce a lot better, I'm beginning to get real good at the open/close technique. Something tells me that 14" hats could provide more bounce for the sticks though (when played open). I don't know I kind of like these hats now, but I'd still want some brighter once, these are really dark. I'm probably just going to go with the PST5 Medium-Hats so I can afford a new kit (they sound great imo)! 14" hats feel incredibly small after playing on 15" hats for a year though :-)
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:17 am

eml wrote:
Alan_ wrote:heh, it always tickles me when I see that I'm not the only player in the world left who uses 15" hihats.

Well, I had my mind set on changing them, but I'm beginning to like them a lot now. I've learned to use bounce a lot better, I'm beginning to get real good at the open/close technique. Something tells me that 14" hats could provide more bounce for the sticks though (when played open). I don't know I kind of like these hats now, but I'd still want some brighter once, these are really dark. I'm probably just going to go with the PST5 Medium-Hats so I can afford a new kit (they sound great imo)! 14" hats feel incredibly small after playing on 15" hats for a year though :-)

i could never go back to 14s. they seem like splashes to me now.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:19 am

I use 14's for recording sometimes. it's weird, I use a large set of hihats and crash (15" hats and 19" crash), but only a 20" ride.
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:05 pm

Alan_ wrote:I use 14's for recording sometimes. it's weird, I use a large set of hihats and crash (15" hats and 19" crash), but only a 20" ride.
haha... i love your sig, i've been watching it for 10 minutes and everytime i see it i still laugh.

I had a MASSIVE 'T' shaped crack that i tried drilling twice. They sound far nice after drilling all along the crack with a series of small holes and then you move one bit up at a time and until they are reasonable sized and most are touching one another. This helps improve the sound because i find the rattling sides hit each other and mute the frequencies making them sound dull. But since i didnt drill one of teh sides car enough it continues to crack until it kinda solved itself (see below) i know i should smooth it off but i want to test that theory that it will continue to crack if it has a rough edge, there is another crack forming just next to this one (less than a cm to the left) which could of actually been caused by this crack or hit had a crap life before i got them.

...screw it i'll attatch a pic later, basically the crack stopped heading inwards, turned around and went back out to the edge, so it took a chunk out itself.

p.s since it cracked completely off it sound WAY better, i can actually see why people like new beats now, although these probably sound different to true new beats.
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
Mike_Drums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:21 pm

eml wrote:

yea i know what you mean, i went from 14" to 12" that was a real trip
cymbalsonly.com
Bosphorus Cymbals