Placing Rides on 45 Degree Angles

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm

It may be weird but whatever works best. Because there isno worng way to set up a drumset!
Drumming_Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:44 pm

I have mine up like that, more than 45 but not vertical.

It all came about when my kit was set up in my room and i had to set it up like that otherwise it wouldnt fit, now i find that its the most comfortable way to do it and i hate playing a flat ride, my kit goes quite nicely round it too.
I suppose you could partly blame the fact that im a major fan of Nicko McBrain and he is practically my idol, but i find that angle comfortable. :)
MrPowerRide
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:32 pm

I find that angle comfortable as well and i have used my ride cymbal at that angle before when i had a nicko replica kit. but i'm pretty flexible with my set up and i am constantly changing my set up around, so i adapt.
Paiste Cymbals and Pearl Drums
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:53 pm

I don't like it myself, but who am I to argue with al foster and nicko mcbrain?

I don't have my ride flat, but definitely not that much of an angle. I like keeping my arm lower than that facilitates.
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:41 pm

I put my ride over my floor toms and it just made it easier to hit when its angled and off to your right side.
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
DrummerByron
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:02 am

I believe Will Calhoun from Living Colour also set his 2 rides at the 45 deg. angle. I have tried it and it seemed to choak the sound a bit and it does not feel natural to me. I can't get the washing sound out of the ride like I like in that position. To each his/her own. DB
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:48 am

I remember reading an interview with Peter Erskine in Modern Drummer a couple decades ago where he was talking about making his cymbals flatter. Before that, he had his cymbals at really extreme angles. He found it increased sustain and playability. I have to say I agree with that. I tried putting my cymbals at more acute angles when I was much younger, and I couldn't get used to not having a trajectory for the stick that utilized gravity efficiently.
audiotech
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:20 am

I have my rides tilted towards me and find them very comfortable to play. I don't know if they are at 45 degrees, but they are not flat by any means.

Dennis