Soultone Handmade Turkish Cymbals

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Postby mmmmdrums » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:58 pm

hey everyone. As you may or may not know, I am very picky when it comes to my cymbals. I have been playing on Istanbul Agop cymbals for the past few months. I have recently discovered soultone cymbals. They are in my eyes just as good if not better than any other cymbal from Turkey including Bosphorus, Istanbul, and Zildjian K cymbals, they just don't have the big "cool" name. I knew they were going to be good, but today I went to go test them out. I was SHOCKED at the quality of the cymbals. Some of the best I have ever heard. All I had to do was describe what kind of sound I was looking for and the owner went over to his closet of over 4000 cymbals and pulled out a ride two crashes and some hi hats that were EXACTLY the sound that I was looking for. After 5 hours of playing on many of his versatile cymbal series, I found that the first cymbals he had picked out from the vintage series were the right cymbals for me.

I was then offered an endorsement. I was so taken with these cymbals that I decided to go for it.

Now you know that hell would have to freeze over before I chose another cymbal over my Istanbul Mel Lewis ride.....well consider it frozen.

www.soultonecymbals.com

please check them out. There aren't any soundfiles yet because the company is pretty new, but if you live in california, there are several endorsers that you could go hear live.

If Iki could find the complex mix of dark, warm, washy, trashy, yet still defined that I wanted on his first try, then he can satisfy the cymbal appetite of anyone. I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed.

Thanks
Anjilla
Check out my new tunes!

myspace.com/anjillapiazza

Ludwig classic maple drums
Supraphonic Snare
Regal Tip and Vic Firth Sticks
I proudly endorse Soultone Handmade Turkish cymbals
mmmmdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby antiunderscores » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:18 am

although this seems a lot like a plug it sounds like your writing from the heart which i respect. that sounds a lot gayer then intended...

sounds great, whats your endorsement entail?
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Postby a7xjlee » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:53 am

thats awesome you found a brand you love so much and its even better your getting an endorsement. and anti i lol'd when i read that first bit about being gayer then intended but its true does sound like shes passionate about this brand .could even say its coming from her SOUL lol
Damian king 2001 "Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitement of the potential"
a7xjlee
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby DrumsPlus » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:20 am

I've owned a Soultone, but broke it because I was an idiot. One of my favorite cymbals of all times, a 16" fast crash. I would suggest them. The owner is cool too.
groove master

Postby rufus4dagruv » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:41 am

CONGRATS ANJILLA!!

Outstanding news. I was just reading in MD last night, and I think they are running a new contest where one of the prizes is some Soultones. Between that and now this news, I'm going to have check them out and see what the deal is all about.
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Postby Mitchell? » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:57 am

rufus4dagruv wrote:CONGRATS ANJILLA!!

Outstanding news. I was just reading in MD last night, and I think they are running a new contest where one of the prizes is some Soultones. Between that and now this news, I'm going to have check them out and see what the deal is all about.

Yeah, I saw that in MD, I was immediately like: 'Hmm. I gotta test some out...'

Congrats on the new cymbs, and the endorsement!
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Postby mmmmdrums » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:32 am

Thanks guys!

Anti haha if it makes you feel better, I didn't think it was gay

my statement does sound a little plug-ish...

but I wouldn't lie to you guys or myself about these cymbals. I saw pics of the factory and everything it looks like the Bos factory and these things sound phenomenal.
Check out my new tunes!

Supraphonic Snare
mmmmdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Alan_ » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:35 am

nice work! I look forward to some audio of these cymbals.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby mmmmdrums » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:52 am

I am actually going to be getting one of those zoom recorders next week....so when I get it, I will put some audio up.
Check out my new tunes!

Supraphonic Snare
mmmmdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby rufus4dagruv » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:09 pm

I'm not sure how familiar you are yet with the different series, but you provide the fundamentals of the 3 different series they have listed on their site: Vintage, Custom, and Extreme?

I'm just guessing, but perhaps the Vintage would be the thinnest, Custom would be similar to more modern, heavier K's, and the Extreme series is for heavier applications.

I am most curious about the differences between the Vintage and Custom series. Thanks in advance!
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Postby mmmmdrums » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:26 pm

The Vintage series is the thinnest of the cymbals. They give that dark and warm vintage tone. They are usually pretty washy but still give out phenomenal stick definition.

The Custom Series are probably the most versatile of the series. They are medium weight cymbals and can be used in all kinds of music. Warm shimmery and EXTREMELY versatile. I personally love the custom series crashes. They have an amazing sound. The sound of them just washes over you with just the right amount of brightness.

The Custom Brilliant Series are the same weights as the custom series, but in a brilliant finish. As you may have guessed, these cymbals are brighter and more cutting than the regular Custom Series. Perfect for those that want to project while still have a very musical sound to them.

The Extreme Series are heavy weight cymbals with lots of ping. Perfect for any application that calls for cutting and loud cymbals. I am not a fan of pingy cymbals, but even I like the sound of the Extreme Series.

There is also going to be a Gospel Series coming soon. I got to play on the prototypes. They are very bright, shimmery, and cutting cymbals.

The main difference between the Vintage and Custom series is that the vintage is a little "Jazzier" than the custom. I think that the Vintage series ride is perfect for those that want cymbals that perform well in both jazz and rock situations. Some of the thicker vintage series that I played on reminded me of the old zildjian A's. The Vintage crashes were dark with a touch of trash. The Vintage hi-hat projects surprisingly well for a thinner set. They give a nice clean "chick" The Custom Series are just great all around cymbals. I really like dark cymbals, so I found the custom ride to be a little bit bright for my taste, but then again I like my cymbals REALLY dark. The custom series crashes were a dream. They were washy, warm, "ride-able", and cutting while still maintaining a musical tone. The Custom series hats were great too. Very defined, great projection and just pretty sweet.
Check out my new tunes!

Supraphonic Snare
mmmmdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby rufus4dagruv » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:32 pm

Thanks for the info!
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Postby vincemie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:54 pm

congrats of the endorsement and finding new bronze you will throw yourself behind....how much you want for that mel lewis ride? :D
vincemie
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Mitchell? » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:17 pm

vincemie wrote:congrats of the endorsement and finding new bronze you will throw yourself behind....how much you want for that mel lewis ride? :D

No way man...

That Mel Lewis is mine! :lol:

Jokes, I've got to try these Soultones out now, I'm really interested...

Gonna have to make a trip down to Nashville I see...
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Postby mmmmdrums » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:22 am

haha not selling the mel lewis..... i can still use it when I am practicing. I love that cymbal, but I bet that Iki could custom make me one better (*gasp* yes better) than even the Mel

but in all seriousness, I have been playing on my Soultones for like 3 days and I still can't belive that I am endorsed by them..... great stuff
Check out my new tunes!

Supraphonic Snare
mmmmdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Next

Return to General Cymbals Discussion