How many of you...

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

JasonDeLima
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:56 pm

SGarrett wrote:The low price is actually what peaks my curiosity.

Don't take my word for it, but I think it's because you don't pay MSRP with Saluda.
The DrumGearOnline prices are way cheaper than the retail prices on SaludaCymbals.com/c/

zen_drummer wrote:(LongRant)

Zen, I'm sure that not everybody buys Saluda for its looks or its alloy. Everybody that customizes a Saluda cymbal usually customizes it through its sound, then chooses a cool design later. They would e-mail Jamie (the head of SC) saying things like "I want an 18" crash with a dark sound, not too clangy, little decay, good for playing metal/rock, etc." Then he would come up with something that would fit the person's needs. I've heard from many that he has not let them down. On the Saluda forums, people will even admit that they're worried if Jamie will create the cymbal exactly the way they want it, but they've always been satisfied. If my memory serves me right, I found one person was disappointed because he bought a Mist X off the website without any customization. Saluda isn't for everyone, a lot like the other cymbal companies.

The low price, designs, customization, cymbal trade-ins are what attract people to Saluda. Jamie even admits that through cymbal trade-ins, he either loses money, or gains money, but he does it to get more Saludas on people's sets.

Side story: I asked him if he could make me a China with no bell, and put holes in it like a Sabian Ozone, and I'm still awaiting a final reply. Customization FTW.
Ludwig
Saluda
Remo
3drumsticks
YouTube
MySpace
William Allen White
SGarrett

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:41 am

zen_drummer wrote:
pow3rtr1p wrote:
kplante069 wrote:
pow3rtr1p wrote:The only slight issue I have with Saluda is that they only use B20 Bronze. Sure, it's the most expensive, but not necessarily the best. For instance, Meinl's mb20 series has some great stuff, but their mb10 crashes, even with the same size and weight as an mb20 crash, have a whole different character to them. If Jamie would carry B10 or B12, he could open up all new sound avenues. However, I don't know how much hassle and money would be involved in carrying all different types of bronze, and they still sound great, so I'm not saying he should or anything. Just one of the few things I see as a flaw in Saluda's plan.

Still love mine, though, so please don't misunderstand. :D

I think there is too much emphasis on what material a cymbal is made of. I also think too much is made about how that look. The only thing I try to concern myself with when choosing a cymbal is how does it sound. I could care less if a cymbal was made from an aluminim trash can lid and colored baby poop brown. Close your eyes and hit it. Does it sound like what you want? That's all that should matter.

Exactly, and if the sound you are looking for is B12, then B20 just won't cut it.

I'm an old school guy, you could say in many ways I'm an old fart as well... but I've been doing this a long long time, and back in the dark ages when I was developing "my" sound... nobody knew what alloy a cymbal was made from, in fact, the Zildjian alloy was considered to be a "top secret".

That being siad, I don't actually care what alloy a cymbal is made out of. I don't care if was hand hammered in Turkey, Lathe turned by the son of a sultan or pre-aged in the beds of 16 year-old virgins! I ONLY care how it SOUNDS, and frankly, I don't care what a cymbal costs, because for me, I so rarely break a cymbal I consider them to be good solid investments.

I know what I like, and while I happen to have the gift of gab, and the ability to put my thoughts into words pretty well, I am absolutely certain that I lack the ability to describe what I'm looking for sonically. I DO know that when I hear it, I KNOW it, without a doubt!

I've had cymbals made by Abex, Ufip, A. Zildjian, K. Zildjian, Zilco, Sabian, Paiste, Thor, Meinl, Istabul, Agop, Bosphorus, Wuhan and yeah, I have ONE Saluda, and I had the opportunity to hear it before owning it. I currently have some cymbals in hand that I'm working on reviewing for my website, and they are VERY impressive, made by Po' Boy... yep... Po' Boy! The Po' Boy cymbals are reworked wuhans, and they are quite exceptional.

Do I think Saluda makes great cymbals 100% of the time? Nope... but I don't think ANY company does!

But when we sit here bantering back and forth about what alloy a cymbal is made of, and how nice the finish is... I really think we've lost sight of the objective. The finish thing is cool, it's nice to have control over the "look" of your kit... but I gotta tell ya, in my opinion, that should be the absolute LAST consideration when buying a cymbal. The ALLOY should be unimportant as well. Sure the alloy effects the sound... but I don't need to KNOW what the alloy is... I only have to like the SOUND that the alloy produces! Spare me the details!

I don't care if a Saluda is a re-worked Stagg, or if it's a reworked Wuhan. It doesn't matter to me. As far as I'm concerned it can be a reworked CAMBER for all I care!

I WANT THE TONE!

I want to get lost in the vibrations... I want to be inspired to PLAY! I want MUSICAL cymbals! I'm making MUSIC with them!

I can walk into Guitar center, a 5 star, House of Guitars, Sam Ash... you name it... there's a few hundred cymbals from which to choose. There MIGHT be TEN I would buy. Maybe fewer.

Saluda says the cymbals can sound anyway I want them to... That's a bold claim and I do not, nor do I have any particular reason to doubt that claim. But with 40 years of playing experience, I have absolutely NO idea how to describe that "it" factor that I can know is there in an INSTANT by playing the cymbal. Yet I read post after post from people that have purchased these custom created Saluda cymbals without so much as hearing a single eighth note on them, and all is well that ends well!

I simply cannot IMAGINE buying cymbals without hearing them first! I have heard SO MANY mediocre cymbals from GREAT cymbals makers that the prospect of plunking down Hard Earned Cash for a complete unknown is REALLY frightening to me! The low price is attractive, but I'm not so sure that's enough!

If this forum members are any example... it sounds like a VERY good chance that custom made cymbals I've never heard might actually pass muster. I just need to develop the spine to send some dough on the if-come.

Very well said.

I absolutely agree with the last two paragraphs, too.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SaludaCymbals
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:55 am

Jason,

Did you get my reply back about this? It will be a very interesting cymbal if I can create it.

Jamie

JasonDeLima wrote:Side story: I asked him if he could make me a China with no bell, and put holes in it like a Sabian Ozone, and I'm still awaiting a final reply. Customization FTW.
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:24 am

Jeez this is not what I made this post for but it's bringing up some very interesting conversation.

Zen what kinda saluda do you have???
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:01 am

He has an Earthworks China. Not sure if it's 18 or 19". It was one of the prizes at DRT '08.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
JasonDeLima
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:12 am

SaludaCymbals wrote:Jason,

Did you get my reply back about this? It will be a very interesting cymbal if I can create it.

Jamie

JasonDeLima wrote:Side story: I asked him if he could make me a China with no bell, and put holes in it like a Sabian Ozone, and I'm still awaiting a final reply. Customization FTW.

Haha yes I did, and I sent a reply re-confirming how I wanted it to be made.
Ludwig
Saluda
Remo
3drumsticks
YouTube
MySpace
William Allen White
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:18 am

JasonDeLima wrote:
SaludaCymbals wrote:Jason,

Jamie

Haha yes I did, and I sent a reply re-confirming how I wanted it to be made.

Doesn't the bell control wash though, and the holes would cut out wash?

So no bell = more wash, but holes = less wash?
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:44 am

I'm intrigued to see what it sounds like.

Flat rides have no bell, but are all ping and no wash.
SlackBackLazy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:56 am

When you get it, you must post a video Jason
My favourite word is badass

Mapex M birch - purple
Paiste - Alpha hats and ride, 2002 crash, twenty splash

Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:33 pm

Alan_ wrote:I'm intrigued to see what it sounds like.

Flat rides have no bell, but are all ping and no wash.

Ahh, I thought I got it backwards.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
SaludaCymbals
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:49 pm

Ouch, not going to be a fun one to make! I haven't done this design (not sure if anyone has) so we will see what happens. I will email back as soon as I can. I will give more details about it in email form.

Jamie
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:06 pm

Saweet! Pingy non-washy rides rock on!
DrumsPlus
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:23 pm

Flat rides are usually quite aren't they?
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm

umm... what? Quiet?
NeighborSpaceman wrote:
You only live once, so make a huge f***ing drumset and beat the hell out of it while you still can!
DrumsPlus
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:40 pm

sapazi13 wrote:umm... what? Quiet?

Yep, sorry, been a long day.