How many of you...

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

SGarrett

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:56 am

The low price is actually what peaks my curiosity.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:03 am

anavrinIV wrote:
Mitchell? wrote:
anavrinIV wrote:
e139d wrote:but you're telling me that Jamie can create a cymbal that is exactly like an Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis ride?

No, I never said anything remotely like that. I understand what you are trying to say. But I'm not sure you are getting me yet. If I buy an Istanbul Mel Lewis ride, and I don't like, lets say the "ping", Istanbul is not going to do a damn thing to change that aspect..for me..only Mel. Therefore, an Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis ride is "mainstream". It is "customized" for Mel not you. See what I'm sayin? The perfect sounding ride differs in every drummer, so I want MY cymbal not Mel's, Joe's or Fred's. That is why I choose Saluda.

true but you're still missing his point. if he wants exactly the mel lewis ride then that's what he's going to buy. obviously if he doesn't like an aspect of the cymbal then it's not the cymbal he's looking for.

i won't try to explain anything further....i have a feeling that this post will go unnoticed by you though.

Thanks anavrinIV. :)

I've got your back on 2 forums over this comment right now.

Yeah seriously this getting annoying we get it you dont play anything other than saluda. stop getting on Mitchell?'s back because for some reason his comment offended you. And the worst part is you went over to the saluda forum and bitched about it over there and alot of DML members are over there aswell including me and one of the mods (ScreamKevin) who allso is the mod over there. You say you have 25 + years of experience you dont sound like it though cause your complaining like one of the 10 year olds on PDF I got so angry about some of the stupid shit happening in these posts I was about to delete the entire forum post. So quit BITCHING.
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
nightcrawler_steve
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:22 am

SGarrett wrote:The low price is actually what peaks my curiosity.

I can understand that Garrett fo sho. My experience has always been you get what you pay for as far as cymbals are concerned. In this case, I very well may be wrong.

And let me clarify before I get slammed. Im not knocking Saluda....I know nothing about them. Im simply answering the thread question that I would not play or order them without hearing them. The idea of custom cymbals sounds fantastic. But I think as a few of us hear have mentioned, if we cant hear them along the process, then thats a "no starter".
ODERY / DW / DUNNETT / PAISTE / ZILDJIAN / SABIAN
----------------------------------------------------------------
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:37 am

you know, the dream cymbals sound GREAT and are cheap as hell. they're a very distinctive sound tho, very trashy and "vintage" sounding.

one of the things that makes me skeptical: when someone claims to be able to reproduce ANY cymbal sound, that leaves me a li'l doubtful. every brand has certain characteristics related to design philosophy, materials, their ear, manufacturing techniques, etc.
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:46 am

Alan_ wrote:you know, the dream cymbals sound GREAT and are cheap as hell. they're a very distinctive sound tho, very trashy and "vintage" sounding.

one of the things that makes me skeptical: when someone claims to be able to reproduce ANY cymbal sound, that leaves me a li'l doubtful. every brand has certain characteristics related to design philosophy, materials, their ear, manufacturing techniques, etc.

Well yeah, just like I mentioned above for e____. Jamie can't make an exact reproduction of a Mel Lewis, that's why I'm buying a Mel Lewis. But if you want a 'bright, modern, cutting crash, with clean overtones, and an airy sound.' Jamie could do that. If you said 'I want a Dream Bliss 18"' he'd have to say 'I can make something similar to a Dream Bliss' but it won't be exact.

The point is, if you want a Mel Lewis, you have to buy a Mel Lewis. If you want a dry, dark, jazzy ride with rivets, Jamie can make that.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:51 am

cool. I'm just curious about the personailty aspect.

for example, zildjians sound NOTHING like Paistes, which in turn sound nothing like Meinls or Zildjians or...

even though paiste has started making some fairly dark cymbals in the last several years, they're nothing at all like a K or an HH (which also don't sound alike).

and also, like scott was talking about earlier, for me a lot of it does relate to how the cymbal FEELS.
e139d
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:55 am

Ok, first of all, both Mitchell and I are giving opinions. We can do that, we are human. Second, the topic has gotten well out of hand and I do agree, I shouldn't have went about it the way I did with a second post. I tried to make my point that when you customize something, anything, there is no limit but imagination. The word "limit" is what is on trial here, not what company is the best. Someone else stated that I would ignore his post. No, this is a discussion and everyone can speak. I did not appreciate the term "fanboy". There is no reason for name calling. That is immature. And what I did was also immature posting on another site. I know there are alot of DML on Saluda's site and who is moderator. It's not like I posted it in a secret forum that isn't public. So, I apoligize for "keeping it going". As for Mitchell?.....you and I are going to have many great conversations on here about drums. Hopefully, OUR opinions don't spark something like this again. Dropped on my behalf.
Saluda Cymbals
Tama Drums
Mapex Saturn Snares
ProMark
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:04 am

e139d wrote:Ok, first of all, both Mitchell and I are giving opinions. We can do that, we are human. Second, the topic has gotten well out of hand and I do agree, I shouldn't have went about it the way I did with a second post. I tried to make my point that when you customize something, anything, there is no limit but imagination. The word "limit" is what is on trial here, not what company is the best. Someone else stated that I would ignore his post. No, this is a discussion and everyone can speak. I did not appreciate the term "fanboy". There is no reason for name calling. That is immature. And what I did was also immature posting on another site. I know there are alot of DML on Saluda's site and who is moderator. It's not like I posted it in a secret forum that isn't public. So, I apoligize for "keeping it going". As for Mitchell?.....you and I are going to have many great conversations on here about drums. Hopefully, OUR opinions don't spark something like this again. Dropped on my behalf.

I agree the name-calling was out of hand. I apologize.

Well, enjoi the forum. There's always a good conversation runnin' about. :wink:
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:05 am

e139d wrote:Ok, first of all, both Mitchell and I are giving opinions. We can do that, we are human. Second, the topic has gotten well out of hand and I do agree, I shouldn't have went about it the way I did with a second post. I tried to make my point that when you customize something, anything, there is no limit but imagination. The word "limit" is what is on trial here, not what company is the best. Someone else stated that I would ignore his post. No, this is a discussion and everyone can speak. I did not appreciate the term "fanboy". There is no reason for name calling. That is immature. And what I did was also immature posting on another site. I know there are alot of DML on Saluda's site and who is moderator. It's not like I posted it in a secret forum that isn't public. So, I apoligize for "keeping it going". As for Mitchell?.....you and I are going to have many great conversations on here about drums. Hopefully, OUR opinions don't spark something like this again. Dropped on my behalf.

Well I like that post! :D
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
pow3rtr1p
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:41 am

The only slight issue I have with Saluda is that they only use B20 Bronze. Sure, it's the most expensive, but not necessarily the best. For instance, Meinl's mb20 series has some great stuff, but their mb10 crashes, even with the same size and weight as an mb20 crash, have a whole different character to them. If Jamie would carry B10 or B12, he could open up all new sound avenues. However, I don't know how much hassle and money would be involved in carrying all different types of bronze, and they still sound great, so I'm not saying he should or anything. Just one of the few things I see as a flaw in Saluda's plan.

Still love mine, though, so please don't misunderstand. :D
Sonor Drums, Evans and Aquarian Heads, Saluda Cymbals, Vic Firth Sticks

14" Glory Hats, 16" Diamond Rock Crash (Cracked...), 22" Symbolic Ride
14" Pre-Aged Voodoo China
e139d
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:17 pm

I enjoy my 16" IonV crash alot. But what stands out the most for me is My MistX Rock Ride. It was made 99.9% perfect for me. I also love my MistX hats, however, I think I might get something to mix and match for different songs.
Saluda Cymbals
Tama Drums
Mapex Saturn Snares
ProMark
kplante069
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:03 pm

pow3rtr1p wrote:The only slight issue I have with Saluda is that they only use B20 Bronze. Sure, it's the most expensive, but not necessarily the best. For instance, Meinl's mb20 series has some great stuff, but their mb10 crashes, even with the same size and weight as an mb20 crash, have a whole different character to them. If Jamie would carry B10 or B12, he could open up all new sound avenues. However, I don't know how much hassle and money would be involved in carrying all different types of bronze, and they still sound great, so I'm not saying he should or anything. Just one of the few things I see as a flaw in Saluda's plan.

I think there is too much emphasis on what material a cymbal is made of. I also think too much is made about how that look. The only thing I try to concern myself with when choosing a cymbal is how does it sound. I could care less if a cymbal was made from an aluminim trash can lid and colored baby poop brown. Close your eyes and hit it. Does it sound like what you want? That's all that should matter.
pow3rtr1p
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:08 pm

kplante069 wrote:
pow3rtr1p wrote:The only slight issue I have with Saluda is that they only use B20 Bronze. Sure, it's the most expensive, but not necessarily the best. For instance, Meinl's mb20 series has some great stuff, but their mb10 crashes, even with the same size and weight as an mb20 crash, have a whole different character to them. If Jamie would carry B10 or B12, he could open up all new sound avenues. However, I don't know how much hassle and money would be involved in carrying all different types of bronze, and they still sound great, so I'm not saying he should or anything. Just one of the few things I see as a flaw in Saluda's plan.

I think there is too much emphasis on what material a cymbal is made of. I also think too much is made about how that look. The only thing I try to concern myself with when choosing a cymbal is how does it sound. I could care less if a cymbal was made from an aluminim trash can lid and colored baby poop brown. Close your eyes and hit it. Does it sound like what you want? That's all that should matter.

Exactly, and if the sound you are looking for is B12, then B20 just won't cut it.
Sonor Drums, Evans and Aquarian Heads, Saluda Cymbals, Vic Firth Sticks

14" Glory Hats, 16" Diamond Rock Crash (Cracked...), 22" Symbolic Ride
14" Pre-Aged Voodoo China
Timekeep69

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:52 pm

I've been playing Saluda cymbals longer than anyone here (8 years!).

What does that tell you?
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:18 pm

pow3rtr1p wrote:
kplante069 wrote:

Exactly, and if the sound you are looking for is B12, then B20 just won't cut it.

I'm an old school guy, you could say in many ways I'm an old fart as well... but I've been doing this a long long time, and back in the dark ages when I was developing "my" sound... nobody knew what alloy a cymbal was made from, in fact, the Zildjian alloy was considered to be a "top secret".

That being siad, I don't actually care what alloy a cymbal is made out of. I don't care if was hand hammered in Turkey, Lathe turned by the son of a sultan or pre-aged in the beds of 16 year-old virgins! I ONLY care how it SOUNDS, and frankly, I don't care what a cymbal costs, because for me, I so rarely break a cymbal I consider them to be good solid investments.

I know what I like, and while I happen to have the gift of gab, and the ability to put my thoughts into words pretty well, I am absolutely certain that I lack the ability to describe what I'm looking for sonically. I DO know that when I hear it, I KNOW it, without a doubt!

I've had cymbals made by Abex, Ufip, A. Zildjian, K. Zildjian, Zilco, Sabian, Paiste, Thor, Meinl, Istabul, Agop, Bosphorus, Wuhan and yeah, I have ONE Saluda, and I had the opportunity to hear it before owning it. I currently have some cymbals in hand that I'm working on reviewing for my website, and they are VERY impressive, made by Po' Boy... yep... Po' Boy! The Po' Boy cymbals are reworked wuhans, and they are quite exceptional.

Do I think Saluda makes great cymbals 100% of the time? Nope... but I don't think ANY company does!

But when we sit here bantering back and forth about what alloy a cymbal is made of, and how nice the finish is... I really think we've lost sight of the objective. The finish thing is cool, it's nice to have control over the "look" of your kit... but I gotta tell ya, in my opinion, that should be the absolute LAST consideration when buying a cymbal. The ALLOY should be unimportant as well. Sure the alloy effects the sound... but I don't need to KNOW what the alloy is... I only have to like the SOUND that the alloy produces! Spare me the details!

I don't care if a Saluda is a re-worked Stagg, or if it's a reworked Wuhan. It doesn't matter to me. As far as I'm concerned it can be a reworked CAMBER for all I care!

I WANT THE TONE!

I want to get lost in the vibrations... I want to be inspired to PLAY! I want MUSICAL cymbals! I'm making MUSIC with them!

I can walk into Guitar center, a 5 star, House of Guitars, Sam Ash... you name it... there's a few hundred cymbals from which to choose. There MIGHT be TEN I would buy. Maybe fewer.

Saluda says the cymbals can sound anyway I want them to... That's a bold claim and I do not, nor do I have any particular reason to doubt that claim. But with 40 years of playing experience, I have absolutely NO idea how to describe that "it" factor that I can know is there in an INSTANT by playing the cymbal. Yet I read post after post from people that have purchased these custom created Saluda cymbals without so much as hearing a single eighth note on them, and all is well that ends well!

I simply cannot IMAGINE buying cymbals without hearing them first! I have heard SO MANY mediocre cymbals from GREAT cymbals makers that the prospect of plunking down Hard Earned Cash for a complete unknown is REALLY frightening to me! The low price is attractive, but I'm not so sure that's enough!

If this forum members are any example... it sounds like a VERY good chance that custom made cymbals I've never heard might actually pass muster. I just need to develop the spine to send some dough on the if-come.