How many of you...

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

e139d
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:39 am

Nope. After 25+ years of playing cymbals off a shelf, what the famous person wanted, I think I deserve to get what I want now. Everything I have is tweeked to what I want the cymbal to sound like, not someone else. After playing mainstream cymbals, there was always a point that I would say, If it only......then it would be perfect. I'm of course not saying these other cymbal companies don't have great cymbals, they do. Every one of them has beautiful cymbals. But now, my cymbals are exactly that...mine. And let's face it, the best sounding cymbal is an opinion, that's why there are so many. So on that note, I have the best sounding cymbals, mine and Saluda makes them for ME. Hope that makes sense to everyone reading it.
Saluda Cymbals
Tama Drums
Mapex Saturn Snares
ProMark
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:44 am

Currently, 14" Earthworks Fusion Hats, 18" Earthworks Crash and 19" Ion crash (that I just discovered a small crack in :evil: ). I have plans for more but I just have'nt had the funds, as of yet.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
e139d
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:52 am

Mitchell? wrote:
anavrinIV wrote:some mainstream cymbals sound good. I play whatever sounds good. I have saluda, sabian, zildjian, paiste, wuhan, and istanbul. 13 cymbals covering 6 different brands and 11 lines of cymbals. best way to play imo.

That's the truth. Being a fanboy of any sort just limits yourself.

How can custom made cymbals limit anything? All the big companies limit you to what they make. Jamie makes whatever you want him to make, so again who's limited?????
Saluda Cymbals
Tama Drums
Mapex Saturn Snares
ProMark
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:55 am

He won't make things exactly like other brands.
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:05 am

e139d wrote:
Mitchell? wrote:
anavrinIV wrote:some mainstream cymbals sound good. I play whatever sounds good. I have saluda, sabian, zildjian, paiste, wuhan, and istanbul. 13 cymbals covering 6 different brands and 11 lines of cymbals. best way to play imo.

That's the truth. Being a fanboy of any sort just limits yourself.

How can custom made cymbals limit anything? All the big companies limit you to what they make. Jamie makes whatever you want him to make, so again who's limited?????

Okay, don't get me wrong, I love Saluda cymbals, but you're telling me that Jamie can create a cymbal that is exactly like an Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis ride?

I'm sure he can make a wonderful cymbal that is very similar to a Mel Lewis, but sometimes, close isn't what you want. If I want a Mel Lewis, I have to buy a Mel Lewis to get a Mel Lewis.

So if was a fanboy, who refused to buy any other cymbal than Saluda, I would be limiting myself.

If you support Saluda, that is great, I do to. But I don't choose to restrict my choices of buying cymbals.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
pow3rtr1p
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:36 pm

I have Diamond, Symbolic, and Voodoo Pre-Aged Cymbals. Looking into a new crash soon, as well. I just love the sound, and the price. :D
Sonor Drums, Evans and Aquarian Heads, Saluda Cymbals, Vic Firth Sticks

14" Glory Hats, 16" Diamond Rock Crash (Cracked...), 22" Symbolic Ride
14" Pre-Aged Voodoo China
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:16 pm

pow3rtr1p wrote:I have Diamond, Symbolic, and Voodoo Pre-Aged Cymbals. Looking into a new crash soon, as well. I just love the sound, and the price. :D

So do I
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
e139d
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:21 pm

but you're telling me that Jamie can create a cymbal that is exactly like an Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis ride?

No, I never said anything remotely like that. I understand what you are trying to say. But I'm not sure you are getting me yet. If I buy an Istanbul Mel Lewis ride, and I don't like, lets say the "ping", Istanbul is not going to do a damn thing to change that aspect..for me..only Mel. Therefore, an Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis ride is "mainstream". It is "customized" for Mel not you. See what I'm sayin? The perfect sounding ride differs in every drummer, so I want MY cymbal not Mel's, Joe's or Fred's. That is why I choose Saluda.
Saluda Cymbals
Tama Drums
Mapex Saturn Snares
ProMark
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:56 pm

e139d wrote:but you're telling me that Jamie can create a cymbal that is exactly like an Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis ride?

No, I never said anything remotely like that. I understand what you are trying to say. But I'm not sure you are getting me yet. If I buy an Istanbul Mel Lewis ride, and I don't like, lets say the "ping", Istanbul is not going to do a damn thing to change that aspect..for me..only Mel. Therefore, an Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis ride is "mainstream". It is "customized" for Mel not you. See what I'm sayin? The perfect sounding ride differs in every drummer, so I want MY cymbal not Mel's, Joe's or Fred's. That is why I choose Saluda.

true but you're still missing his point. if he wants exactly the mel lewis ride then that's what he's going to buy. obviously if he doesn't like an aspect of the cymbal then it's not the cymbal he's looking for.

i won't try to explain anything further....i have a feeling that this post will go unnoticed by you though.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:29 pm

anavrinIV wrote:
e139d wrote:but you're telling me that Jamie can create a cymbal that is exactly like an Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis ride?

true but you're still missing his point. if he wants exactly the mel lewis ride then that's what he's going to buy. obviously if he doesn't like an aspect of the cymbal then it's not the cymbal he's looking for.

i won't try to explain anything further....i have a feeling that this post will go unnoticed by you though.

Thanks anavrinIV. :)
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:28 am

Mitchell? wrote:
anavrinIV wrote:

Thanks anavrinIV. :)

I've got your back on 2 forums over this comment right now.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
SGarrett

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:57 am

e139d wrote:Nope. After 25+ years of playing cymbals off a shelf, what the famous person wanted, I think I deserve to get what I want now. Everything I have is tweeked to what I want the cymbal to sound like, not someone else. After playing mainstream cymbals, there was always a point that I would say, If it only......then it would be perfect. I'm of course not saying these other cymbal companies don't have great cymbals, they do. Every one of them has beautiful cymbals. But now, my cymbals are exactly that...mine. And let's face it, the best sounding cymbal is an opinion, that's why there are so many. So on that note, I have the best sounding cymbals, mine and Saluda makes them for ME. Hope that makes sense to everyone reading it.

You do know that Sabian will custom make any of their cymbals for no additional charge, right? No need to insult those of us who walk a different path. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:02 am

I never know whether a cymbal is the one until I actually hear it next to my cymbals. putting a cymbal sound into words is pretty difficult. If I'm seriously considering a cymbal I will take my cymbals to the shop, set em all up, and then go and grab crashes/rides/whatever I'm looking for and play them as an ensemble. so, for me, the idea of ordering custom cymbals that I can't play before buying doesn't really work.
SGarrett

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:07 am

Alan_ wrote:I never know whether a cymbal is the one until I actually hear it next to my cymbals. putting a cymbal sound into words is pretty difficult. If I'm seriously considering a cymbal I will take my cymbals to the shop, set em all up, and then go and grab crashes/rides/whatever I'm looking for and play them as an ensemble. so, for me, the idea of ordering custom cymbals that I can't play before buying doesn't really work.

I'm the same way. I have to hand pick my cymbals or trust the Dog Ears guy at Sabian. I usually only take my ride with me though, since it's one of my core tones.

I'll be honest and say that even of the recorded music I've listened to Saluda cymbals sound a bit bright for my tastes, even the "dark" ones. That's why I really want to play a few of them. And beyond that, how are my hands going to like the way they feel? That tactile response is impossible to duplicate. You just have to play it to find out.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
nightcrawler_steve
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:50 am

Alan_ wrote:I never know whether a cymbal is the one until I actually hear it next to my cymbals. putting a cymbal sound into words is pretty difficult. If I'm seriously considering a cymbal I will take my cymbals to the shop, set em all up, and then go and grab crashes/rides/whatever I'm looking for and play them as an ensemble. so, for me, the idea of ordering custom cymbals that I can't play before buying doesn't really work.

Amen Alan. Thats how I buy my cymbals as well. Im a Paiste crash guy myself, but play all the Big 3 somewhere in my kit. You can have 3 identical Paistes side by side and each one sounds a bit different. Thats why I, as a consumer who cares about "my" sound, has to buy a cymbal in person and not roll the dice.

Been talkin to DrumsPlus about replaceing 2 of my crashes. I played some Meinls and a K this weekend that knocked my socks off.

I certainly would give Saluda a look and a listen if they had them in a local store, say Dales or something. But other than that, not a chance....Im still skeptical of the low price.
ODERY / DW / DUNNETT / PAISTE / ZILDJIAN / SABIAN
----------------------------------------------------------------