cleaning my cymbals

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

dor44
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:28 am

umm i have a question all i see in stores is cleaning polish for all the types of cymbals except my crappy ones...
but if their crappy at least i want them clean so... can anyone tell me where i can buy a cleaning product for http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... c=3SOSWXXA
i know their crappy and now im working to change them.... aaa im actually taking my lasy ass for my first job to pay for better cymbals...
aaa what inspiration drums are huh? :D
its-all-gravy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:28 am

Last edited by its-all-gravy on Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:07 pm

i used coke a little while ago and my cymbals came up GREAT! too its probably more environmentally friendly and probably cheaper. Also if you have it at your disposal soaking them works wonders.

BBS
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
its-all-gravy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:10 pm

Coke works wonders for half the price 8)

Oh antiunderscores- What does 'BBS' Stand for...?
Jimbob2020
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Bring Back Steve! (BBS).....................
DW Collector's
Ludwig Classic Maple
Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau
Meinl Byzance, Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian Platinum Cymbals
DW 5k & 9k Hardware
Evans and Remo Heads
Vic Firth
dor44
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:52 am

ummm so will coke work on my cymbals?
are you sure?
and ok ill try it but can you tell me all the details cause cymbals are something to take care of... so i dont want to be wrong here...
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:36 am

there wasnt much to it, i used a coke and scourer, but i wouldnt recommend using a scourer because it puts tiny scratches in the metal if you push down pretty hard, you cant really notice them if you follow the "grain" of the cymbal around but its way too easy to stop thinking and scrub downwards, so probably just a cloth or a scrubbing brush with soft plastic tip would be fine, though i'd get another opinion on that brush.

BBS
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
dor44
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:47 am

ummm so what your saying is like just taking the cymbals and like maybe ill take a disposable rag and soak it and the just rub on the cymbal?
will that work?
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:06 pm

dor44 wrote:ummm so what your saying is like just taking the cymbals and like maybe ill take a disposable rag and soak it and the just rub on the cymbal?
will that work?
and then after you have soaked them, when you take them out quickly dry as much as you can with a dry cloth. It's not that urgent, dont drop your cymbal trying to rush drying but you dont want drop marks on your cymbals. If you are still not 100% confident first try either an old crappy cymbal or a small splash or something and see for yourself whether or not it works
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:57 am

I heard a story about Charlie Watts some time ago. Apparently a new Drum tech had turned up first day on tour with the Rolling Stones. He thought he would impress Charlie by cleaning his Cymbals until they shone like a brand new Bently. Oh dear....................Charlie immediately fired him on the spot right before sound check yelling "how dare you, it took me 20 years to get them to sound like that!" hehehe!
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
dor44
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:32 am

lol steaky thats a really nice story.. :D
umm i dont really have a splash or an old cymbal could you please put a step by step way to clean it...
sorry about me being paranoid never cleaned a cymbal before and these are my first cymbals... :D
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:37 pm

if you are that worried maybe just go to your local GC and buy some cymbals polish, that way you will never have to worry about if your coke has done anything bad to your cymbals. Because i will never forgive myself if the coke ruins your cymbals and i was the one who told you to do it

BBS
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
dor44
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:21 am

yea i think ill ask my local drum shop about cleaning cymbals and ill ask them about the coke thing... :D
so thanks man!
mmmmdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:20 am

Steaky wrote:I heard a story about Charlie Watts some time ago. Apparently a new Drum tech had turned up first day on tour with the Rolling Stones. He thought he would impress Charlie by cleaning his Cymbals until they shone like a brand new Bently. Oh dear....................Charlie immediately fired him on the spot right before sound check yelling "how dare you, it took me 20 years to get them to sound like that!" hehehe!

haha I would have murdered that guy...... I can't stand clean cymbals
Check out my new tunes!

myspace.com/anjillapiazza

Ludwig classic maple drums
Supraphonic Snare
Regal Tip and Vic Firth Sticks
I proudly endorse Soultone Handmade Turkish cymbals
SlackBackLazy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:58 pm

dor44 wrote:lol steaky thats a really nice story.. :D
umm i dont really have a splash or an old cymbal could you please put a step by step way to clean it...
sorry about me being paranoid never cleaned a cymbal before and these are my first cymbals... :D

Don't azy with the cymbal polish, that's what I learnt.
I bought some cleaner for my cymbals, and tried it on my Paiste 2002 crash and it almost gave me a heart attack, the cymbal just went black, I don't know why, but I just seemed to be spreading the dirt on it. I could've died, lucky I stuck to it though, after an hour of intense scrubbing and using up like 5 rolls of kitchen roll I got it clean, but I think i wiped of the protective layer or something, because whenever I choke it now, it leaves a really obvious finger mark.
So long story short, cleaning cymbals - don't
My favourite word is badass

Mapex M birch - purple
Paiste - Alpha hats and ride, 2002 crash, twenty splash