AAXPlosion vs AAX Studio Crashes

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

RANKBand.com
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:04 pm

I've been continuing my cymbal analysis and today will write about some Sabians. I don't test cymbals in the store because I find it pointless, I just can't tell for sure without putting them on my set next to my "known good" cymbals and trying them in different styles.

I ordered a new AAX 16" Studio Crash and a 18" AAXPlosion Crash. Here are the results.

16" AAX Studio = Very beautiful cymbal without a doubt, but my praise stops there. Very THIN! No projection, no resonance. A horrible cymbal for Rock. I can' think of a style that this would work for accoustically, since it can't be heard. I'd say it is similar to a Zildjian Fast Crash (aka Paperthin Crash), except probably a faster decay. It may be good for church or the (church) recording studio IF you have an overhead mic directly on it.

18" AAXPlosion = Good looking cymbal, but the bell is unlathed. Sounds great! Very strong projection with lots of high end. Great for Rock or any style. It sounds similar to a Zildjian Thin Crash (thinner than Zildjian's Rock crash for sure). [By the way, the Zildjian Thin Crashes are great for Rock, and nowhere near as thin as the Fast/Paperthin Crashes].
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:28 am

to continue what rankband.com is saying.

yup studio crashes arent really for live situations that would just be silly. hense the STUDIO part of the name. If you want a live cymbal that decays quick go with a 'dark crash' of the AAX series.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
SGarrett

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:11 am

Those are the flat out worst, most uninformed, and biased cymbal reviews I've ever read.

A studio crash is meant to be used in the studio, not as a stage crash. That's why Sabian has both Studio and Stage cymbals in all of their lines. Who doesn't record with over-heads? These cymbals speak quickly and then get out of the way. You can get a full hit out of each cymbal without over-powering the mix like you can with heavier cymbals. I use AAXPlosion 16" and 19" crashes, along with an 18" AAX Metal Crash, and sometimes they do ring a little too much. The large unlathed bell adds to their unique tonal qualities. If you buy a cymbal based on how it looks, you are not a player you're a gear whore and nobody respects a gear whore or what (s)he owns.

If you want to know what my cymbals sound like, check the link in my signature. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 am

I pity the fool who gives biased reviews.
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
SlackBackLazy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:47 am

don't you find that the aaxplosion is so unbelievabley loud, it hurts my ears so much if i dont wear earplugs, how much did you get yours for, i bought mine of a friend for £50 ($100)
My favourite word is badass

Mapex M birch - purple
Paiste - Alpha hats and ride, 2002 crash, twenty splash

SGarrett

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:30 pm

They are pretty loud cymbals if you hit them hard. One of the best things is that you can get an almost fully opened tone with a light tap from your fingers. They allow for a very wide range of dynamics. I use the same cymbal setup for everything I do, from singer/songwriter pop rock to the trip-hop song I posted recently.

I got my 13" HHX Stage Hats from eBay for $110 plus another $20 for shipping and the rest were cost plus 5% and actual shipping. That's probably the best thing about working in a music store. Of course, the catch 22 is that you usually can't afford to buy much of the gear you sell. :D
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:08 am

don't you find that the aaxplosion is so unbelievabley loud

I remember when I first got my 17" AAXplosion it was seriously glassy and loud, like you had to squint every time you hit haha. But I love the way it sounds as it gets more broke in, the natural qualities begin pouring out of it!
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:05 am

I got an AAXplosion 18" crash yesterday.

My review goes like this: It's awesome, I like it lots.
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Mike_Drums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:44 pm

i wouldnt call myself and avid user of sabian, but ive heard lots of their cymbals, theyre really not all that different from the brothers from what i can tell, and i do like most of zildjians higher end material
cymbalsonly.com
Bosphorus Cymbals
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:23 am

I always tend to think Zildjian A customs have a very glassy tone, and that's it. Whereas even with Sabian's bright line they hold a natural dark quality too, I love the lathed bell on the AAXplosions
iminaband
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:56 am

Ok, I have been using these AAX's for quite sometime and have recorded lots of music with them. I used to be one of those uneducated "ziljian is the best" kinda guys. I got the AAXplosion and studio ride on a whim. Litteraly picked them cause of their medium price cause i needed to get in the studio and didn't have time to hear them. I got the suckers and was so impressed. The thing that I find about these is this, a A CST or Z CST really has to be slammed to get their full potential sound out. The AAX line sounds great, full, clear, and almost equal pitch and sound no matter how hard you hit it. Which means you can actually use DYNAMICS with this cymbal without having to sacrifice sound quality. I have more AAX's now but I will say that the Studio ride that I have still does sound great live, only I wish it had more "ting" and yes I understand that it is a "studio" cymbal.. LOVE THES CYMBALS... I even played side by side with an A CST and by far the Sabian blew it out of the water.

Preference is preference, but true sound can not be denied..

PS, I am using a AAX TOP STAGE HAT with a A CST Mastersound Bottom hat. Sounds REALLY good...

PSS. I have never broken any AAX cymbals (knock on wood) and guess where the top of the ACST Mastersound hat is.... Yeah, I cant keep an A CST past a year
It's not how good you are, just how good your equipment is :) Um... NOT
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:04 am

Sweet man, glad yer pleased with em!