Dream Cymbals

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Postby rufus4dagruv » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:03 am

antiunderscores wrote:
rufus4dagruv wrote:
christopherabruce wrote:
rufus4dagruv wrote:... I find that using an Erskine ride stick keeps the wash on the Bliss type III's in check...

I have an 18" and a 22" and find that, that's true, for my 22". It has a good deal of wash. To take care of excess wash, I have a smallish, no more than 1", gaffers tape square on the underside of my 22", where the bell's edge meets the bow.

Haha, actually have have 2 pieces of gaffers to try to control it! It did help, but I'm hoping to sit down with it and try some mallet rolling to see if she'll tame up a bit. If it doesn't, which will most likely be the case, I have considered sending it out to Mike Skiba to see if he tune it up. I was thinking of having him lathe about 200 grams off the top, closer to the edge, rehammer and leave the bottom a turk, and then flange the outer edge down just a bit. Maybe. We'll see. At the same time, I could just email him and have him make me one from a B20 blank.
please explain. whats turk mean and whats flanging the outer edge down a bit going to do for the sound?

Turk essentially means unlathed. A Turk style cymbal would look something like this:

<a href="http://cymbalsonly.com/">Image</a>

I find that just raw hammering "tightens" up a cymbal and dries it out. This works well for lighter cymbals to control the trashiness. Flanging the edge also helps. The Istanbul Agop Epoch ride is a good example:

<a href="http://cymbalsonly.com/">Image</a>

If you look at the out edge, it appears a bit darker in the photo. This is because it is flanged downward a bit. Again, this will help control the spread. I like the idea of having a dry ride, but I do not care for heavy rides because I find them to generally be too one dimensional, i.e. best for louder settings. I want a ride in my arsenal that would be useful at lower volumes for jams, rehearsals, and tiny unmic'ed venues, but also can be laid into without getting out of control. I love to play out and jam with just a snare, kick, hats, and 1 cymbal, and my cymbalholic-like nature has prevented me from completely narrowing down that 1 pie (don't get me started on the hats, haha!). Anywho, I hope this answers your question.
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby HardcoreDrummer » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:13 am

oh hey guys

btw i got it in like 2 weeks ago , and it sounds great!
Gretsch, Mapex Black Panther 12x7 snare
Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste Cymbals
Evans Heads
HardcoreDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby rufus4dagruv » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:18 am

HardcoreDrummer wrote:oh hey guys

btw i got it in like 2 weeks ago , and it sounds great!

Sweet. What's the size and gram weight?
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Postby christopherabruce » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:32 am

If you do that, let us know how it works. I thought about doing the same thing for a while, but I realized that the excess wash really only bugs me when practicing or with an acoustic duo. Not a problem with recording or larger groups. Might still have it done though.

rufus4dagruv wrote:...I have considered sending it out to Mike Skiba to see if he tune it up. I was thinking of having him lathe about 200 grams off the top, closer to the edge, rehammer and leave the bottom a turk, and then flange the outer edge down just a bit. Maybe. We'll see. At the same time, I could just email him and have him make me one from a B20 blank.
christopherabruce
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby rufus4dagruv » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:57 am

christopherabruce wrote:If you do that, let us know how it works. I thought about doing the same thing for a while, but I realized that the excess wash really only bugs me when practicing or with an acoustic duo. Not a problem with recording or larger groups. Might still have it done though.

rufus4dagruv wrote:...I have considered sending it out to Mike Skiba to see if he tune it up. I was thinking of having him lathe about 200 grams off the top, closer to the edge, rehammer and leave the bottom a turk, and then flange the outer edge down just a bit. Maybe. We'll see. At the same time, I could just email him and have him make me one from a B20 blank.

I'm still on the fence about what I'm going to do. The stick on this pie is still a too brittle. I'm unsure if that's something that can be tamed or transformed into more of a "tah," because as I understand, that it one of the characteristics that's inherent in the creation of the alloy and its tempering. Also, I'm not sure if I want to sink anymore coin into this pie. Decisions, decisions.
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Re: Anyone heard good things about Dream?

Postby HardcoreDrummer » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:41 pm

I have no idea at all what you mean by gram weight dude, but it's a 14..

well....it was.
i cracked it like 2-3 weeks ago.
Gretsch, Mapex Black Panther 12x7 snare
Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste Cymbals
Evans Heads
HardcoreDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Drumosaurus » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:44 pm

I remember Mmmdrums is endorsed by them.

btw, where the hell is she?
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Postby shine.fm-youth » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:57 pm

^^^

she's endorsed by soultone :D
drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Postby Drumosaurus » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:00 pm

ohh ya, it was soultone.

Ahh, i'm getting my custom companies mixed up. :?
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Postby Alan_ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:59 pm

All I know is that, come this weekend, there's a dream 18" crash/ride that's trashy as can be that has my name on it.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby DrumsPlus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:18 pm

I bought both the 22 and 20 off of Rufus and love them. Really do have a lot of tone. The 22 was a little hard to get used to, sticking is hard to explain, but really do love these cymbals.
groove master

Postby Martin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:29 pm

I have both a 20" Bliss which is crazy washy, and while I do like this cymbal its not my favorite. I also have a 22" Contact which is dry as can be with clear stick definition and a loud ass big bell. I dont use it as a main ride either but sometimes ill toss it up for a heavier song.
One thing for sure about Dream is make sure you hand pick them. I had the fortune of being able to handpick from dozens of different models and the really do differ quite significantly, each cymbal is very individual.
Pearl Session Custom Maple Vintage Fade 5 piece
Cymbals: All Sabian except 18" Wuhan and 13" Zildjian KZ hi hats
12" APX splash, 13" AAX studio crash, 15" AAX Studio crash, 16"
AAX dark crash, 16" APX crash, 17" AAXplosion crash, 22" Ride
Martin
drumming adept
drumming adept

Re: Dream Cymbals

Postby MrPowerRide » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:54 pm

i changed this thread to a sticky and renamed it appropriately. We need a section for this.

hope that was ok modifying your thread hardcore :)
Paiste Cymbals and Pearl Drums
MrPowerRide
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby jad » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:05 am

Does anyone here use them for rock/metal/pop?

It seems that these are perfect for jazz but I'd be interested to hear how the go in louder music styles.
Shine Drums
TRX Cymbals
Corsair Drumsticks
www.corsairdrums.com.au
jad
beginner
beginner

Postby Alan_ » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:29 pm

the Contact series is much more in line with being practical in a rock setting.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

PreviousNext

Return to General Cymbals Discussion