Dream Cymbals

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu May 22, 2008 7:17 pm

I think it's cool to check out up and coming brands and wanted to know if you guys have heard anything 'bout them.
Gretsch, Mapex Black Panther 12x7 snare
Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste Cymbals
Evans Heads
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Fri May 23, 2008 5:50 am

I've got a couple; 20" Bliss at 1850 grams and a 22" Bliss at 2395 grams. They are very inconsistent from pie to pie, but that's not uncommon with completely hand hammered cymbals. I'm going to be picking up a 17" Vintage soon.

I've used the 22" for trio and quartet jazz and blues. The 20" makes a great LSR and I have also bin using it as a crash in my Reggae band lately. It blends surprisingly well with my 18" HHX Legacy and 15" Giant Beat hats. It's a great cymbals.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri May 23, 2008 6:17 am

played some at the drum shop the other day. good cymbals, low, trashy turkish sound.
HardcoreDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 25, 2008 8:02 pm

cool thanks. what about durability?
Evans Heads
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Sun May 25, 2008 9:32 pm

I've never broken a cymbal from playing. The only think I could say would be that as long as you use proper technique and not just bash, they will last as long as any other cymbal.
40th
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 25, 2008 10:45 pm

rufus4dagruv wrote:I've never broken a cymbal from playing. The only think I could say would be that as long as you use proper technique and not just bash, they will last as long as any other cymbal.

ditto.
Han Solo: Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?

Luke Skywalker: What a piece of junk!

Han Solo: She'll make point five past lightspeed.

Chewy: Word
HardcoreDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon May 26, 2008 12:26 pm

ok awesome thanks
:D
i ordered the 14" bliss crash:)
Evans Heads
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 27, 2008 12:32 am

HardcoreDrummer wrote:ok awesome thanks
:D
i ordered the 14" bliss crash:)
tell us how it sounds when u get it.
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
HardcoreDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 27, 2008 5:07 pm

ok i will :)
Evans Heads
Just Drums
beginner
beginner

Post Wed May 28, 2008 9:33 am

We had Dream make a visit to our shop. They showed us dozens of models and I was honestly impressed. We'll probably carry them soon. Very nice B20 and B23 cymbals for much less than the bigger brand names.
D. Shane Fowlkes
www.JustDrumsOnline.com
www.MySpace.com/JustDrums
Steve@NDC
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:46 am

I'm very intrigued with the Bliss line. Always on the hunt for old Ks, but the prices are always steep. From what I hear, the Bliss line comes very close to that old trashy K sound. Now, I'm just waiting for a dealer in Rochester area to pick them up, so I can actually hear some in person. The FrontRangeBronze site does a nice job with sound files, but I'd still like to get in the same room with some real plates.
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:54 am

The FRB soundfiles are pretty accurate. I find that using an Erskine ride stick keeps the wash on the Bliss type III's in check. I'm actually a big fan of the newer Bliss Vintage line. REAL thin, but some post-lathe hammering really smooths out some of the complexities more common in the Bliss III's. My 22" Bliss III still is nice and trashy, but I'm thinking about letting it go. I haven't been using it lately, and probably won't for several months. My 20" though, just kills. A great cymbal that I'm not going to be quick to let go of. It gets better every time I play it.
christopherabruce
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:57 pm

rufus4dagruv wrote:... I find that using an Erskine ride stick keeps the wash on the Bliss type III's in check...

I have an 18" and a 22" and find that, that's true, for my 22". It has a good deal of wash. To take care of excess wash, I have a smallish, no more than 1", gaffers tape square on the underside of my 22", where the bell's edge meets the bow.
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:54 pm

christopherabruce wrote:
rufus4dagruv wrote:... I find that using an Erskine ride stick keeps the wash on the Bliss type III's in check...

I have an 18" and a 22" and find that, that's true, for my 22". It has a good deal of wash. To take care of excess wash, I have a smallish, no more than 1", gaffers tape square on the underside of my 22", where the bell's edge meets the bow.

Haha, actually have have 2 pieces of gaffers to try to control it! It did help, but I'm hoping to sit down with it and try some mallet rolling to see if she'll tame up a bit. If it doesn't, which will most likely be the case, I have considered sending it out to Mike Skiba to see if he tune it up. I was thinking of having him lathe about 200 grams off the top, closer to the edge, rehammer and leave the bottom a turk, and then flange the outer edge down just a bit. Maybe. We'll see. At the same time, I could just email him and have him make me one from a B20 blank.
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:08 pm

rufus4dagruv wrote:
christopherabruce wrote:

Haha, actually have have 2 pieces of gaffers to try to control it! It did help, but I'm hoping to sit down with it and try some mallet rolling to see if she'll tame up a bit. If it doesn't, which will most likely be the case, I have considered sending it out to Mike Skiba to see if he tune it up. I was thinking of having him lathe about 200 grams off the top, closer to the edge, rehammer and leave the bottom a turk, and then flange the outer edge down just a bit. Maybe. We'll see. At the same time, I could just email him and have him make me one from a B20 blank.
please explain. whats turk mean and whats flanging the outer edge down a bit going to do for the sound?
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda