Paiste Dark Energy

Where to buy, how to cleaning etc...

Moderator: Moderators

deluxe74
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:18 am

So I just played a set of these yesterday (20" ride, 17 and 18 " crashes) and they sounded beautiful!! And being in the market for new cymbals I looked to see just how much a set of these would cost me and for the set up above and some hi hats it would be around $1,500! Are these cymbals really worth that much? And are there any other cymbals that I can get kinda the same sound and not have to sell my kidney?
LOOKING TO SELL MY ZILDJIANS I DON'T NEED:
17" A custom Crash (1/8" crack, sounds great)
18" A custom Crash (1/8" crack, sounds great)
8" A custom Splash
18" Scimitar China

I use:
Tempus Drums
Zildjian A Custom Cymbals
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:32 pm

Paiste is kinda expensive but their Dark energy series is very cool!
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:40 pm

saluda bro
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:16 pm

shine.fm-youth wrote:saluda bro

Definetly Checkem out dude
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
pow3rtr1p
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:18 am

As much as I support Saluda, there's no need to mention them in every single thread...

Paiste cymbals are quite expensive, but they are some of the best-sounding cymbals out there. The Dark Energy MkI 13" Hats are only like $200 on Musician's Friend right now, so you may be able to get those for cheap right now, if you have the money. If not, Meinl's Byzance Dark series, and some of Saluda's cymbals (Earthworks or Glory, most likely) would give you a similar sound, and would probably cost less. The Meinl Dark cymbals, in particular, look and sound amazing, and seem to be a lot like Paiste's Dark Energy.
Sonor Drums, Evans and Aquarian Heads, Saluda Cymbals, Vic Firth Sticks

14" Glory Hats, 16" Diamond Rock Crash (Cracked...), 22" Symbolic Ride
14" Pre-Aged Voodoo China
earldrum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:31 am

I own a 20" Dark Energy Ride MK1 that I love. But I have never found a cymbal that sounds like it because of the type of bronze used to make the Paiste signature cymbal line.

Now there are plenty of dark cymbals (i.e., Ks, HHs, Bosphous, etc., but most of these great dark cymbals cost more or as mach as the Paiste New Signature line's price. The truth is if you want the dark jazz cymbal your best bet is to buy one used if possible and look for a good deal. I have seen the 20" DE Mk1 go as low as $250 on ebay, but you have to get lucky and wait it out.

Earl