Almost got the buzz out, but...

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

pow3rtr1p
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:54 pm

I read the Drum Tuning Bible, and tried many of its suggestions, so please don't recommend I read that ;)

I did the tip to detune the lugs closest to where the snares attach, and tighten the others in order to keep the same pitch. It eliminated much of the buzz, but it is still noticeable to me.

I have my bass and toms exactly where I want them, and I love all of their sounds, so I really don't want to retune those.

Anyway, I still have a slight buzz. It isn't that noticeable, but when I turn of the snares, my kick just sounds SICK! A deep, penetrating thud exactly like I want. That tiny buzz really more annoys me than anything, but it feels like it almost takes away from the kick.

So, any suggestion of how to get buzz out without retuning my whole kit? Tape or little homebrew tricks or anything?

Thanks in Advance,
pow3rtr1p
Sonor Drums, Evans and Aquarian Heads, Saluda Cymbals, Vic Firth Sticks

14" Glory Hats, 16" Diamond Rock Crash (Cracked...), 22" Symbolic Ride
14" Pre-Aged Voodoo China
Howepirate

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:33 am

Just get a little piece of tape and put it on your reso or batter and see which eliminates your buzz problem. I'm not a fan of tape and I use it VERY VERY sparingly on my set but sometimes snares can just be a pain in the ass, lol.
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:09 am

Howepirate wrote:Just get a little piece of tape and put it on your reso or batter and see which eliminates your buzz problem. I'm not a fan of tape and I use it VERY VERY sparingly on my set but sometimes snares can just be a pain in the ass, lol.

+1 It'll never completely go, you just have to learn to live with it!
pow3rtr1p
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:21 am

So tape between the head and the snares, or somewhere else?

Howepirate

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:12 pm

pow3rtr1p wrote:So tape between the head and the snares, or somewhere else?

Well, heres what i do. Find the drum thats causing your snare to buzz the most, keep playing that drum while putting your fingers in different places on the snare until you hear the buzz go away, apply duck tape and your good! Remember, if you can't duck it f*k it! lmao... JK!
pow3rtr1p
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:58 pm

Howepirate wrote:

Well, heres what i do. Find the drum thats causing your snare to buzz the most, keep playing that drum while putting your fingers in different places on the snare until you hear the buzz go away, apply duck tape and your good! Remember, if you can't duck it f*k it! lmao... JK!

Well, this snare is pretty dang sexy... :wink:

SGarrett

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:42 pm

Leave it alone. Nobody but you is ever going to hear it. And once you start playing in bands, the bass guitar is going to drive your snare crazy. The only way to completely eliminate sympathetic hum is by turning the snares off.

Can you hear the sympathetic hum on any of the tracks on my MySpace? Neither can I. But I sure hear it every time I sit down to play. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."