snare head suggestions!

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

46&2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:43 pm

yo guys i have been trying to find a snare head that sounds really good...my snare isnt the best of the best but ik i can get a good sound out of it...any suggestions?..i will be using it for recording the most. i bought a remo ambassador snare head cause it was like the only 1 the crappy store had and its not working for me.
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:09 pm

First, what type of sound are you looking for? Focused, ringy, both? What is it made of? What don't you like about your current sound?

Second you should try tunning the ambassador thighter and don't ignore the resonant side either, you might also waqnt to mess with the snares them self. Thighten them and losen them, I find that the tighter I go the loser the snares are, not super slack but not cranked.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:30 am

46&2 wrote:yo guys i have been trying to find a snare head that sounds really good...my snare isnt the best of the best but ik i can get a good sound out of it...any suggestions?..i will be using it for recording the most. i bought a remo ambassador snare head cause it was like the only 1 the crappy store had and its not working for me.

What kind of snare is it? What is the size? Any idea what the shell material is? Also, if the snare isn't that great, why would you want to use it to record?
king_friday
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:19 am

remo cs dot
46&2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:22 pm

rufus4dagruv wrote:
46&2 wrote:yo guys i have been trying to find a snare head that sounds really good...my snare isnt the best of the best but ik i can get a good sound out of it...any suggestions?..i will be using it for recording the most. i bought a remo ambassador snare head cause it was like the only 1 the crappy store had and its not working for me.

What kind of snare is it? What is the size? Any idea what the shell material is? Also, if the snare isn't that great, why would you want to use it to record?

im only 16..my dad has a home studio, ..its a mapex mars snare drum..14 inch..its metal
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:38 pm

Steel shells have the tendency to have a lot of ring. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you will be recording with it, you may want to dry it out. Evans makes some dry heads that have internal muffle rings and holes. Keep in mind that these heads can totally dry out your snare, I mean kill the ring. If you do want to maintain some ring, but keep it under control, something like the remo powerstroke 3 coated may do the trick. If you are a heavy hitter, something with a reinforcement dot in the center would be worth considering. Good luck.
ZaQ[MTG]
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:45 pm

Evans Dry or HD Dry

plain and simple...dont bother with other heads
-Bringin Back The Breakdown-
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:32 pm

an evans power center or remo control sound aka CS will be a good choice for recording. An emperor or emporer X would be good if you are a hard hitter and want durability aswell as a very focused sound in higher tunning ranges, especially with the emporer X. But If you plan on a low to moderate tunning avoid the emporer X because, even though its great for the higher range I find it to be a bitch to get a great sound on a lower to moderate tunning.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
46&2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:54 am

thanks alot guys...ya my snare rings a very lot..thats what i dont like...u can kinda hear it on the recordings..i need and Evans power center or something with reinforcement rings
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:22 pm

My standard head is the Coated Ambassador. For the bottom, I would go with the Ambassador weight snare side. I have tried the Diplomat, but they are very thin and have to be well-cared for. This means you must absolutely transport the drum in a case.
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:44 am

A couple people have already said it but from my experience the Evans Dry or HD Dry are 2 of the best heads for getting rid of the ring. I've been using those heads exclusively since 1997 and I get a good drum sound with a durable head. For my money you can't beat it.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:46 am

The Evans EC Coated Reverse Dot snare head!
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:39 am

DRUMSMYWIFE wrote:The Evans EC Coated Reverse Dot snare head!

I actually wanted to try that one out. Just haven't got around to it yet.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
botcore69
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:01 pm

iv got a coated ambassador and i dont get any ring from it at all, bearing in mind my snare is maple, but otherwise id definately recommend the evans hd dry, the vents round the edge work wonders for ringy snares. try loosening the snare wires slightly so you get abit of snare, but tighten the batter nice and tight so you get the crack but the rings covered up abit by the wires. not too loose but jus below tight. all personal pref tho, mess about with it and see what you get, i find it can be quite fun to see what sounds u can get out of it. peace