Need an opinion

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Homki890
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:40 am
Location: Mo'town

Post Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:03 pm

Mapex Black Panther Cherry Wood Snare Drums. Does anyone have experience with these, and if so, are they a good investment?

Homki890
<a href="http://www.drumroadtrip.com"><img src="http://www.unitedgrooveworkers.com/images/banners/drtbanner.gif" alt="Drum Road Trip Website"></a>
User avatar
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1318
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:01 am
Location: PA

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:53 am

Homki890 wrote:Mapex Black Panther Cherry Wood Snare Drums. Does anyone have experience with these, and if so, are they a good investment?

Homki890


Well, as an INVESTMENT, I'm not so sure. They just don't seem to have a very good resale value. It seems to be the case with most Mapex products don't hold their value as well as other major manufacturers. I don't have any statistical data to back this up, but rather just my observations.

For $500 I can think of quite a few other options that I would go with over this drum. But if you like it, that' all that really would matter, ultimately.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:57 am

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:55 am

I agree, if you are looking to sell it later, keep looking elsewhere than the Mapex. They just don't hold their value. If an investment is what your after you are better off going with a Ludwig, Gretsch or even vintage Slingerland or Leedy, they will hold their value much better and appreciate. It's a nice drum to be sure, so it isn't a crime to love that drum, but it will not appreciate in value.
ctyjones
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:36 pm
Location: Salem, OR

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:51 pm

If you're interested in a Cherry snare, check out Pork Pie. A few months ago they started making a drum with maple between vertical plies of cherry. Looks cool, and had one of the best mid-range "punch-in-the-chest" sounds I've heard. Also goes for about 2/3 of the price of the Mapex...
The truth is not wide.
User avatar
Homki890
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:40 am
Location: Mo'town

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:24 am

ok, i should define what I meant.

Investment is what I say when I want to buy something and play it, with really no intention of selling it. How this came about was that my GF found an ad for this snare drum, and asked my opinion for it. This asking price is around 200 I think.

Homki890
<a href="http://www.drumroadtrip.com"><img src="http://www.unitedgrooveworkers.com/images/banners/drtbanner.gif" alt="Drum Road Trip Website"></a>
SGarrett
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:53 am

It's been a few years since I played one, but I remember it being really punchy, bright, and sensitive. I'd say "go for it" for that price.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
User avatar
dbkman
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Astatula Florida

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:01 am

ya they're great, here's a pic of mine, its 12x7 maple/cherry.

<img src="http://a798.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/71/l_3eb2c8de988077d041ed0ee525264f7d.jpg" width="300" height="225">
<img src="http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2421/dsc02667it3.jpg" width="320" height="240">
Yamaha Stage Custom
Sabian AA, HH, Sig, XS20 - Remo/Evans
Pro mark - Yamaha/Dixon Hardware
www.myspace.com/blessedblack
User avatar
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1318
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:01 am
Location: PA

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:32 am

Homki890 wrote:ok, i should define what I meant.

Investment is what I say when I want to buy something and play it, with really no intention of selling it. How this came about was that my GF found an ad for this snare drum, and asked my opinion for it. This asking price is around 200 I think.

Homki890


Depends on which BP it is. If it's the 7x12, $200 is straight robbery. You can get the same drum brand new from MF for $99. If it's the 6x13, that's a good deal because new on MF they are $499. I'm pretty sure there were other sizes made, but I am not familiar with their current resale value. I would check the Bay first if it's not either one of the above mentioned sizes. Just my $.02.
User avatar
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:49 am
Location: N.Ireland

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:39 am

black panther snares are great! if you buy one i doubt you'll wana sell it.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads


http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
User avatar
Homki890
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:40 am
Location: Mo'town

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:42 am

rufus4dagruv wrote:
Homki890 wrote:ok, i should define what I meant.

Investment is what I say when I want to buy something and play it, with really no intention of selling it. How this came about was that my GF found an ad for this snare drum, and asked my opinion for it. This asking price is around 200 I think.

Homki890


Depends on which BP it is. If it's the 7x12, $200 is straight robbery. You can get the same drum brand new from MF for $99. If it's the 6x13, that's a good deal because new on MF they are $499. I'm pretty sure there were other sizes made, but I am not familiar with their current resale value. I would check the Bay first if it's not either one of the above mentioned sizes. Just my $.02.


It's 3.5x13, a piccolo snare.

Homki890
<a href="http://www.drumroadtrip.com"><img src="http://www.unitedgrooveworkers.com/images/banners/drtbanner.gif" alt="Drum Road Trip Website"></a>
User avatar
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1318
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:01 am
Location: PA

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:25 am

Homki890 wrote:
rufus4dagruv wrote:
Homki890 wrote:ok, i should define what I meant.

Investment is what I say when I want to buy something and play it, with really no intention of selling it. How this came about was that my GF found an ad for this snare drum, and asked my opinion for it. This asking price is around 200 I think.

Homki890


Depends on which BP it is. If it's the 7x12, $200 is straight robbery. You can get the same drum brand new from MF for $99. If it's the 6x13, that's a good deal because new on MF they are $499. I'm pretty sure there were other sizes made, but I am not familiar with their current resale value. I would check the Bay first if it's not either one of the above mentioned sizes. Just my $.02.


It's 3.5x13, a piccolo snare.

Homki890


$200? F that. Offer them $50 and don't pay more than $100.
SGarrett
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:49 am

Is it a cherry wood snare or is it a Special Edition maple snare with cherry outer ply? That'll be the difference in price. If it's the cherry, snatch it up.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."