ludwig acrolite

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:23 am

awhile ago i posted some pictures of a ludwig acrolite i got from a thrift store asking if it was a good snare and well i've played with it, toured with it, put some new heads on there and.......DAMN

i paid 15 bucks for this snare and put a evans g1 coated head on it and it sounds AMAZING. i love it, i recommend it to anyone, instead of paying a good $200 bucks on a nice snare just get on ebay and pay like 60 for an absolutely awesome snare drum.

if you wanna hear it go my bands myspace page and its a live recording so its not that great but the first song on there titled "SAS" i used it. the link is http://www.myspace.com/crimsonorchidband
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:34 am

right on brother! i just got one a month or so ago and it sounds great! i might buy another one actually.
teenageheartattack
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:09 am

Hey ho,

The snare sounds awesome on the recording!

I need to get my hands on one now!
Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:02 pm

if you go on ebay, they're cheap and well worth every penny.
teenageheartattack
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:59 pm

Very sadly, I was outbid on the acrolite that's in the best condition on eBay.

I'm tempted to just get this for the BUY IT NOW price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0151632129

But it's strange how the seller tagged it as a 60s drum but yet the badge shows it's from the 70s?

*Update: Wrote to the seller. Apparently, it was an oversight as he often lists acrolites for sale. He has since changed the description to a 70s snare drum.
Last edited by teenageheartattack on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:29 pm

yeah i noticed alot of people don't know exactly what they're talking about on ebay as far as when it was made. don't listen to to what they say and just look at the different badges and come to a conclusion yourself.

as far as the one you got there on ebay...you should just wait it out alittle longer, you can get them for half the price if you keep looking.
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:58 pm

One of the chief differences between an Acrolite and a Supraphonic are the number of tuning lugs.
teenageheartattack
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:10 am

Yeap. That seems to be the only difference for both Acrolite and Supraphonic from the same era, as they are both made from the same Luddalloy? Not sure if the modern models for both series are made from the same alloy though.

For the 70s acrolites with b/o badges, I saw some with pointed edges, some with round edges, some with serial numbers and some without. I wonder what's the difference, and if that should affect the selling price and all.

Will wait around for more good acrolite deals on eBay then! :)
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:51 am

id love to know the year of mine. when i get home from school today ill give the serial number and some pictures hopefully if your all willing to help?
Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:00 pm

iatemygoat wrote:id love to know the year of mine. when i get home from school today ill give the serial number and some pictures hopefully if your all willing to help?

its hard to tell....at least for me. i researched mine alittle bit and still wound up not knowing.
teenageheartattack
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:00 pm

So my eBay hunt continues and I'm slightly appalled at how a number of sellers don't know what they are selling at all. Maybe it's me but...

1) One seller calls his 5" drum a 5.5." Was a 70s acrolite ever manufactered in the size of 5.5"?

2) One sell calls his acrolite a 6" x 14.5". 14.5"?!! I enquired and he said it's a measurement of the head from its metal rim to metal rim. And he even said a 14.5" head is not hard to find. Correct me if I am wrong. But does that make the head a 14"? :?
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:50 am

teenageheartattack wrote:So my eBay hunt continues and I'm slightly appalled at how a number of sellers don't know what they are selling at all. Maybe it's me but...

1) One seller calls his 5" drum a 5.5." Was a 70s acrolite ever manufactered in the size of 5.5"?

2) One sell calls his acrolite a 6" x 14.5". 14.5"?!! I enquired and he said it's a measurement of the head from its metal rim to metal rim. And he even said a 14.5" head is not hard to find. Correct me if I am wrong. But does that make the head a 14"? :?

This type of misinformation is not uncommon. Many times these sellers don't know the little details of what they have. The Acrolites are all 14" diameters. If it is listed as a 5.5" deep snare, it's a 5". They don't take the rims off when they measure because most likely they are just ignorant. I love these kinds of auctions because you may be able to score a real good deal. If you are more educated than the seller, you have the edge. Also, the number of other potential buyers goes down because they get scared away from info that's a little bit off. Beware, you should do your research before making a purchase so that you can get a better idea of what they are selling based on the pictures they have up.

For instance, if they say it's an early 70's acro, and the B/O badge has rounded corners, you know they are wrong. Consequently, if you know the difference between a P-83 and a P-85 throw off, and the seller doesn't, you will recognize the value where the seller does not.

Just remember, there is an element of risk involved with every Ebay transaction. Educate yourself as much as possible and happy hunting!
teenageheartattack
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:47 am

Thanks for the advice! I do need it as I'm an eBay virgin! Haha.

Anyways, my next question is, will there be a major sound different between a 5" and a 6" for Acrolites? Like 6" will sound "bigger" in a way?