kevlar snare heads

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:46 am

Do you know what works better then word of mouth?
Trial and error
jazzkat
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:03 pm

a keverlar headWILL implode your drum if you crank it too tight. hapened to me.
question is, what kind fo drum are you using?
the metal drums hold up a little better to tension but not much.
if you plan of cranking it like a sFz or something, your best bet is to use a high torque snare drum.
i had(or still have) a nice Luidwig Field drums(before the metal edge rings) and put a kevlar head on it thinking, "oh it will hold. the shell is like 1/3 inch think."
NO WAY. it buckled.
if ya wanna crank it down on a regular snare, use a mylar head
period
goatatl
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:29 am

I'm a huge fan of the Aquarian Hi-Energy; for my money, it's the best thing out there, for the way\ type of music I play. I've used Kevlars before, but although they last forever, they don't sound very good for very long. BTW, who keeps a snare batter for 4 months? I'm lucky if I get 4 weeks...
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:22 am

I like a fat sound unless I'm playing Garibaldi type stuff. I've never used Kevlar and never will. I like an open fat sound. If I want a crack I'll use a picclolo and even that I've gotten a pretty fat sound depending on how I tune it and the choice of head.
Anyway, I prefer Remo CS or Emperor X. I might use a ring or a piece of tape if needed.
BTW... John Bonham used a remo Emperor on his snare.
millsybaby
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:28 am

I primarily use the Hi-Energy on my snares, it last longer than any head i've tried except the Aquarian Powerhouse(their Kevlar head) - th hi-energy really opens up the drum if you tune it well, much moreso than a double ply head anyways. It chokes wooden snares, i'll only ever use it on either massive wooden shells(say 14"x8") or metal snares for that reason.
I use the Powerhouse on my Ian Paice snare and it does calm it down alot from the hi-energy, but, with it cranked and some 40 strand snares on it - its got a massive cannon gunshot sound. Its like a mortar round going off on stage when i rim-shot that mofo! Be careful when cranking it so as not to go too far, i used a drumdial to make sure it wasnt much more tense than i typically tune my snares so i knew it was safe - then took it up a tad more as its a Kevlar head and its what its for!

I must add, its great for recording with! As its such a heavy head, it really kills all traces of nasty ring, you still get a really cool amount of shell tone, especially towards the edge of the head, but as its so controlled its perfect! I wont record with any other head when i'm just going for a straight up "main snare" sound. 8)

Hope that helps a bit.
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:07 am

ive got that Aquarian Powerhouse kevlar. its killer. you can tune it low/med and then tune the reso med/tight and its all crack man, it works golden. try that before you crank those kevlars, youll be su rprised the sound you can get out of it. if you tune it like i said up here and adjust your wires just right, you get no buzz, and all crack shot sound. its super loud. that FellamsII is a killer head too. one of my b uddies put a FallamsII on his picolo snare and tuned it low/med and had the reso side about matched, and his sounds like a 38special haha. when i had ther powerhouse kevlar on my 5.5x14 el cheapo alum/steel snare it sounded like an effin' 45. good heads man, just be careful not to super torque them straight out. it doesnt take a lot to get a good sound from the kevlar, but once you get em dialed in th ey will dominate on a steel snare.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am

Empyrean Drums wrote:Do you know what works better then word of mouth?
Trial and error

So your saying i should risk breaking my snare derum instead of asking someone?
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:15 am

PaulZILLA wrote:ive got that Aquarian Powerhouse kevlar. its killer. you can tune it low/med and then tune the reso med/tight and its all crack man, it works golden. try that before you crank those kevlars, youll be su rprised the sound you can get out of it. if you tune it like i said up here and adjust your wires just right, you get no buzz, and all crack shot sound. its super loud. that FellamsII is a killer head too. one of my b uddies put a FallamsII on his picolo snare and tuned it low/med and had the reso side about matched, and his sounds like a 38special haha. when i had ther powerhouse kevlar on my 5.5x14 el cheapo alum/steel snare it sounded like an effin' 45. good heads man, just be careful not to super torque them straight out. it doesnt take a lot to get a good sound from the kevlar, but once you get em dialed in th ey will dominate on a steel snare.

Again, I'm getting these heads for free from remo, so aquarioan, evenas or anything else that isnt remo isnt an option. I got a few fallam II heads and i'm just gonna watch how tight i crank them and hope they dont bend my snare out of round. the rest i got emperor X's
millsybaby
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:26 am

I wouldnt use any Kevlar head on my snares other than the Powerhouse. If its Remo only, go for the Emperor X.
Mikkey
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:14 pm

Yeah I mean if you play with a .357 magnum instead of a drum stick, then I highly recommend Kevlar heads!

For me, the durability versus quality issue has been a clear one. I would rather have a snare head that sounds phenomenal, and needs to be replaced more often, than a head that sounds okay but can go months without being replaced. I've never like the way kevlar heads have sounded, even the Aquarian one I'm less than lukewarm about. If I had a Bellbrass snare I might have a different opinion on the Hi-Energy. But even then I doubt it.
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:23 pm

xdoseonex wrote:
Empyrean Drums wrote:Do you know what works better then word of mouth?
Trial and error

So your saying i should risk breaking my snare derum instead of asking someone?

Yes. Have you seen the variety of answers you've gotten so far? Still leaves you using your best judgement.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:58 pm

I busted a couple of lugs on my Tama snarewith a kevlar head
I have gotten a high pitch crack from pretty much every heavy duty head I tried over the years
Yes, the kevlar is very durable but there is not much resonance
If you want a dry crack, then the kevlar head is for you (you can even chose from several heavy coatings and dot configurations)
The extreme opposite of that sound can be achieved with a heavy duty 2 ply like a G2 or Emperor (I prefer clear) or Powerstroke

Here are some other things that you may or may not have considered:
-Setting the snare as flat as possible and liberally applying rimshots
-Enhancing said rimshots by using a die cast hoop (you don't need a bottom die cast but it helps)

This type of sound will eventually break most normal lugs
I'm not sure about marching lugs (since they are made for it) or the Pearl free floating lugs but I had to back off on my Tama snare for sure
You say irritant, I say catalyst
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:32 pm

Rockula! wrote:I busted a couple of lugs on my Tama snarewith a kevlar head
I have gotten a high pitch crack from pretty much every heavy duty head I tried over the years
Yes, the kevlar is very durable but there is not much resonance
If you want a dry crack, then the kevlar head is for you (you can even chose from several heavy coatings and dot configurations)
The extreme opposite of that sound can be achieved with a heavy duty 2 ply like a G2 or Emperor (I prefer clear) or Powerstroke

Here are some other things that you may or may not have considered:
-Setting the snare as flat as possible and liberally applying rimshots
-Enhancing said rimshots by using a die cast hoop (you don't need a bottom die cast but it helps)

This type of sound will eventually break most normal lugs
I'm not sure about marching lugs (since they are made for it) or the Pearl free floating lugs but I had to back off on my Tama snare for sure

I'm putting them on my vintage supraphonic. A drum i dont wanna mess up. I'm not getting them for the durabibty at all. only for the sound. everyone likes the emperor X heads so i got 7 of those. but i'v always wanted to try kevlar, so i also got 4 fallam II heads.(2 costed, 2 ebony W/dot) My snareis already set flat and i hit rimshots everytime for breakdowns and certain other parts. That diecast hoop thig is a good idea. I'v been thinking about switching my hoop to diecast. If i can find diecast hoops for cheaper thatn $40 a hoop i'll go for it
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:34 pm

and like alot of metal snares my supraphonic has some high overtones that can get a bit annoying sometimes. not bad but theyre there. it sounds good with a few moongels but its stilo there., ut i was wondering if you guys though the kevlar head would get rid of some of that ring as well. i'm thining the diecast hoops can even hae an effect on it
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:59 am

Yes
There are a couple different variations of the Kevlar head and the coating appears to be much heavier than the regular powder coating
Kinda like a thin sheet of rubber
I can't imagine a lot of ring coming from that
You say irritant, I say catalyst