Help tuning my pork pie

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

kris10
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:52 pm

I have a pork pie acrylic lite and it sounded great until I changed heads. (oh and when my cousin came over and uhh messed with the tension rod) I put on an evans genera and now it sounds dull. Is it the new head or idk if I tuned it wrong but i tried re-tuning it many times. And also how do you know how much tension to put on the snare wires. I just can't get it too sound good
drumsforlife
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:24 pm

Tuning for many drummers isn't exactly a science. Since we're all different, and we all have different ears, we're all shooting for different sounds when we tune. Maybe the new head sounds dead because it's NEW. Play on it for a few more days until it's broken in. Or if you're gutsy, you can place your snare on the ground and put your full weight on the batter head to stretch it. There's other ways of "breaking in" your heads. You could tighten the head as tight as it will go. Let it sit for a bit then come back, completely take off the head and start from scratch with putting it back together and tuning. Don't take my word for it though. Personally I don't like standing on my heads, I just tighten them up. You get a lot of snapping and popping, but down worry about that, it's just the glue. As for the tension on your snare wires, EXPERIMENT! Try a bunch of different things until you find the sound you want.

If you'd like a more "scientific" approach to tuning, then I'd suggest getting a drum dial. It tells you how tight each lug is. But then, you might not get the sound you want.

I'm part of the brotherhood of like-minded individuals who like to bang on things.
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:25 pm

drumsforlife wrote:\

If you'd like a more "scientific" approach to tuning, then I'd suggest getting a drum dial. It tells you how tight each lug is. But then, you might not get the sound you want.

I got one I helps but I use it after I get close to the sound I want and then match all the lugs!

Also try a higher tunning you might like it better
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:04 am

definately break in the head...you should do this with all new heads. put the snare on the floor and press down with your palms in the center of the head until you hear popping...thats the glue coming undone. youll still have to play the head for a while to completly break it in though.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
drumerpnkrrockr5
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:41 am

I have a pork pie snare, and but to save time, invest in a drum dial. It is amazing. They are about $60 o guitarcenter.com or musiciansfriend.com. They use tension to help tune your drums. I get amazing sound out of my pork pie and also out of my whole kit. There is so much that the ear can hear, this helps correct the small amounts that the ear cant hear.