Dixon.... Not all tripe?

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Dixon.... Not all tripe?

Postby Martin » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:17 pm

So I as well as many others out there hear the name Dixon, and associate it with crap hardware or maybe " The Duke" by dixon drums.
Well I had an older Pearl pedal for sale worth no more than 75$ and someone offered me a Dixon maple piccolo snare as a trade. It just so happened I have alot of deeper snares and was considering picking up a piccolo so I googled it and was surprised by the positive feedback on them.
I also discovered that Dixon is very popular in Europe and actually makes some higher end stuff over there including a line of snares ranging from 13x3.5 to 14x5, all in the same natural finish as the one I traded for (pics included).
So anywho.. it turns out this thing is modeled after a DW snare and actually sounds pretty damn tight lol. Ive played a few other piccolos in the past including a nice Slingerland. But this was by far my favorite. Maybe its because I had low expectations of it.
Either way it blew me away, I was pleasantly surprised.
So anyone else have any experience with any Dixon drums? If you come across the chance to pick up one of these natural maple snares for cheap, I highly recomend it.
Cheers :D

Pearl Session Custom Maple Vintage Fade 5 piece
Cymbals: All Sabian except 18" Wuhan and 13" Zildjian KZ hi hats
12" APX splash, 13" AAX studio crash, 15" AAX Studio crash, 16"
AAX dark crash, 16" APX crash, 17" AAXplosion crash, 22" Ride
Martin
drumming adept
drumming adept

Dixon.... Not all tripe?

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Dixon.... Not all tripe?

Postby Empyrean Drums » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:06 am

I haven't seen that snare drum but I own several Dixon stands and they are certainly not crap
Verify our range to target, one ping only…
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Postby metldrummer2112 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:21 pm

Empyrean Drums wrote:I haven't seen that snare drum but I own several Dixon stands and they are certainly not crap

I own a double pedal by them and it was terrible
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Postby Cymbalista » Sat May 30, 2009 4:22 am

Dixon started life as a low end hardware company. Over the last few years they have begun to expand and improve their product offerings. They remind me of a company called TKO same kinda story. Both companies are producing higer grades of stands and drums. I still think both companies are hit and miss with what you get but I have had experience with soem dixon snares not bad at all for the money and TKO has recently introduced a higher end level stands that are excellent. they make a telescopic boom stand that absolutely rocks for like $69.00 buck or so. But both companies are looking to become players and move out of the strictly enrty level low end market. It will be intresting to see how they do.
Cymbals & Snares -- Home of the " Other Name Brands " http://www.cymbalsandsnares.com
You tube channel www.cymbalsandsnares.youtube.com/ILDUCE61
Blog www.cymbalsandsnares.blogspot.com
Cymbalista
beginner
beginner

Postby J-rod » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:36 am

Cymbalista wrote:Dixon started life as a low end hardware company. Over the last few years they have begun to expand and improve their product offerings. They remind me of a company called TKO same kinda story. Both companies are producing higer grades of stands and drums. I still think both companies are hit and miss with what you get but I have had experience with soem dixon snares not bad at all for the money and TKO has recently introduced a higher end level stands that are excellent. they make a telescopic boom stand that absolutely rocks for like $69.00 buck or so. But both companies are looking to become players and move out of the strictly enrty level low end market. It will be intresting to see how they do.

We need some clarification here. The dixon company that made the snare you got is not the dixon that exists today. Dixon used to be owned by the company that made bc rich guitars. This was back in the early 90's. After less-than-stellar response to their drums, the dixon name was sold to the corporation that owns gretch drums among many other brands. They continued to produce hardware under the dixon name and have very recently begun to make drums again. I own a dixon boom stand, it was very cheap, and it gets the job done. Any way, the badge on that snare drum you have is the older style badge meaning that snare was probably made in the early 90s at some point, back then they had 3 different lines of drums, the highest line being all maple shells with re-rings. These drums were very nice, i have a 14x5.5 maple dixon snare from back then and it sounds fantastic. look at the shell of that drum, if that baby has re-rings you scored one hell of a deal there. That being said, the drums dixon produces now are also quite nice. A friend of mine has one of their mid level mahogany kits and it sounds very very nice, expecially for the money.
dw collector series maple
zildjian and saluda cymbals
dw and yamaha snares
dw hardware
J-rod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Snare Drums