same head, different sound???

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Brian L » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:07 pm

I decided that my old emperor x was getting alittle bit too worn out, even though it still sounded good. I had a new emperor x sitting, still inside the packaging, in my closet for along time. so i took it out, and replaced the old with the new. but now, i cant find that snare sound i loved so much from my old one. I dont remember having much trouble tuning the old one good. so why is this one so different? is it because i waited so long to put it on? because its new? it sounds to tin-ish, like it cant be tuned to tight or to loose. whats up?
2008 Pearl Forum(black)
Ddrum s2 maple snare(black fade)
Remo Coated Emperor snare head
Remo Pinstripes
Evans Emad 2
Tama Road Pro Pedals
Zildjian crashes
Sabian high hat and ride
PDP/Pearl hardware
Brian L
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: same head, different sound???

Postby SGarrett » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:18 pm

Here comes my standard answer. ...It's a Remo. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby wmpdrummer13 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:47 am

Some times ya get a dead head and there is nothing ya can do about it!! :twisted: Did ya let the head set before ya tried tuning it for atleast a couple hours?

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Brian L » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:26 pm

well by, sit, do u mean, did i let it sit on the snare for awhile before tuning it? then no, i tried tuning it right away. im kinda ify on tring any other snare head, because emperor x are usually very dependable in my experience. i was curious about tring a new head from either aquarian or evans. brands are fun to experiment with, im not a die hard remo fan. whats a good general rock head from aquarain or evans? i never heard of a dead head??? :shock:
2008 Pearl Forum(black)
Ddrum s2 maple snare(black fade)
Remo Coated Emperor snare head
Remo Pinstripes
Evans Emad 2
Tama Road Pro Pedals
Zildjian crashes
Sabian high hat and ride
PDP/Pearl hardware
Brian L
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby shine.fm-youth » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:46 am

remo are kind of known for quailty control issiues and you sometimes get dead heads were the plys are seperated or the ring is slighly bent
etc. etc.

good evans head is the HD dry or g2s
i use hd dry over hazy 300

scott can direct you to a good aquarian head
drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Postby danne87 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:34 am

If you loved the sound from the old REMO head and bought a new one I'm pretty sure the problem isn't that "it's Remo". I only use remo and I always manage to make them sound the same when I change.

When you have changed the head and are ready to tune, put the snare on the floor ( and on a carpet) and put pressure on the head (pretty much pressure that is). You will hear the head cracking a little. When the cracking stops after you've pushed a few times, then you are ready to tune! The head must stretch out fully to keep the sound.

Just a tip... Good luck
danne87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Alan_ » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:41 am

as a longtime user of remo heads, I have to agree with scott and shine on the quality control issues. if you're dead-set on using remos (which I was for years until I found some killer aquarian heads that I'm now sold on), you need to check the head before purchase. do this by taking it out of the box and tapping on it. if it gives a dull "fwap", don't buy it. if it gives a nice musical "thud", buy away.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby wmpdrummer13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:16 pm

[quote="Brian L"]well by, sit, do u mean, did i let it sit on the snare for awhile before tuning it? quote]

Whenever ya put a new head on ya gotta let the head set itself before ya try and tune it. Put the head on and evenly tighten each lug maybe about 3 full turns each. Put a little bit of pressure in the middle and then turn em about another 1/4 to half turn and then leave it for awhile couple hours if ya got the time. Then proceed to tune the head. A lot of people never allow their head to set itself and they will never get a good solid open tuning out of it.

I use Remo and Evans and luckily I have never really experienced a dead head, yet, but like Alan said check em out before ya buy em!

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Cymbalista » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:25 pm

I use the tap test on everything. Although with today's technology and fierce competition for your musical dollar QC at the major head companies is a given. But you can come across a "sour or dead" sounding head.
Cymbals & Snares -- Home of the " Other Name Brands " http://www.cymbalsandsnares.com
You tube channel www.cymbalsandsnares.youtube.com/ILDUCE61
Blog www.cymbalsandsnares.blogspot.com
Cymbalista
beginner
beginner

Postby Brother_Bong » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:59 pm

I have used the over-tighten, leave over night , tune it the next day method with good results.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Postby jnewlon_drum » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:56 am

if u want a tighter sound with less ring out...buy sum moon gels..its like $5 bucks for a pack and u just lay as many as u want on the snare head close to the rim...and it helps dampen the sound with less ring out...
ADD ME ON MYSPACE... www.myspace.com/drum_4life
jnewlon_drum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Snare Drums