Pearl MMX experience

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Pearl MMX experience

Postby danne87 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:13 pm

I bought a Pearl MMX 14*6.5 snare couple of months ago. I've tried 4 different heads and tuned for hours. It still sounds boooooooring. I've lost hope in getting a good sound from it. It sounds shit to be honest.

Does ANYONE own this damn snare? If so: give me complete info on heads (batter and reso) and tuning.

I'm seriously pissed of.
danne87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Pearl MMX experience

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Pearl MMX experience

Postby SGarrett » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:25 am

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "boring", but that's an outstanding maple snare. It's likely to be your head choices or actual tuning. Try a single ply coated batter cranked up tight and a light snare side head tuned to almost glass tension. If you're already doing that, make sure you're getting even tension across the heads.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby danne87 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:53 am

When I say boring I mean it sounds like a 30$ snare with stock heads from a cave somewhere in china.

I have a Evans EC head right now. This one sounds worst. I will try remo once again and tune to death.
danne87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby metldrummer2112 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:11 am

danne87 wrote:When I say boring I mean it sounds like a 30$ snare with stock heads from a cave somewhere in china.

I have a Evans EC head right now. This one sounds worst. I will try remo once again and tune to death.

I have an Evans EC Snare head and it's not worth the money at all. That's why you're getting a bad sound
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Postby SGarrett » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:55 am

danne87 wrote:When I say boring I mean it sounds like a 30$ snare with stock heads from a cave somewhere in china.

Again, put a single ply coated batter head on it and crank it up. If it still sounds boring, I'll give you $30 for it. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby danne87 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:27 pm

SGarrett wrote:Again, put a single ply coated batter head on it and crank it up. If it still sounds boring, I'll give you $30 for it. :)

You can have it for 30$ if you promise me you urinate on it and then blow it up :D
danne87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby SGarrett » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Ok, I'll do that right after I get sounding sweet and track a few sessions with it. :)
SGarrett

Postby Martin » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:37 pm

Man, I cant believe you dont like the sound of that snare, I own a Pearl session custom snare, same dimentions. Its a somewhat similiar drum and I find it has a great sound at all ranges. I currently have it cranked on both batter and reso with an Evans Genera single ply coated on the batter, and an Evans hazy 300 on the snare side. Try it out, it'll definately be better than the ec head.
Also thinking... have you checked the drums for actual flaws? Like being out of round, or a bad bearing edge maybe? idk, just a thought.
Pearl Session Custom Maple Vintage Fade 5 piece
Cymbals: All Sabian except 18" Wuhan and 13" Zildjian KZ hi hats
12" APX splash, 13" AAX studio crash, 15" AAX Studio crash, 16"
AAX dark crash, 16" APX crash, 17" AAXplosion crash, 22" Ride
Martin
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby danne87 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:03 pm

Martin wrote:Man, I cant believe you dont like the sound of that snare, I own a Pearl session custom snare, same dimentions. Its a somewhat similiar drum and I find it has a great sound at all ranges. I currently have it cranked on both batter and reso with an Evans Genera single ply coated on the batter, and an Evans hazy 300 on the snare side. Try it out, it'll definately be better than the ec head.
Also thinking... have you checked the drums for actual flaws? Like being out of round, or a bad bearing edge maybe? idk, just a thought.

I have checked the drum for errors, and none discovered. It got to a point were I thought I liked the sound. When I sat behind the kit and pounded the snare I got a good feeling. Then my friend played and I took a few steps back and listened I changed opinion.

Thanks for the head advice!
danne87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby danne87 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:49 pm

OK! I recorded two days ago. I used my MMX snare and really liked it :) I bought a Remo Ambassador Coated and tuned it very high like SGarret said! Thanks for the advice man. Big ups!
(The tuning took 1.5 hours :P)
Mp3 coming in the near future :)

take care
danne87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby SGarrett » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:51 pm

Right on, man. Glad to hear it. It takes a lot of playing with a new snare to find the sound(s) you want out of it. :)
SGarrett

Return to Snare Drums