New Snare Heads! HELP!

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dannycareyisgod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:48 am

Hey everyone,

Recently, with the way my snare has been sounding, I've realized that maybe the Power Center batter accompanied by the Hazy 300 Snare Side isn't the right combination for my snare drum. I'm not getting the sounds I want. At this point, I'm fed up with the complexity of the snare drum and would love to hear your thoughts on new batter/resonant heads. I just want my snare to feel tight when I hit it, and I want it to sound open and poppy, not too poppy though.

Any suggestions?
Gretsch Catalina Maple-------> 22" x 18" bass, 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" toms, 14" x 14" floor tom, 16" x 16" floor tom, 6" x 14" snare.

Zildjian A Customs-------> 20" ride, 16" crash, 18" fast crash, 14" hi-hats.
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:53 am

I use Evans Coated G2 batter and Remo Ambassador Snare Side reso, and I get that thing to sound a little poppy to extremely poppy
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:01 pm

i use evans HD dry over evans hazy 300

wonerful combo
drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:10 pm

Aquarian Texture Coated one or two ply depending on the snare. Or an Evans G2 Coated
Remo Hazy ambassador or Evans Hazy 300 on reso side.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
SGarrett

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:57 pm

I second the Aquarian coated single ply or a coated Remo Ambassador...which are the same thing. I'm playing on a kit with Evans heads during band rehearsals and I hate them. They don't stay in tune for shizzle. They do have a decent tone, though. For the resonant side I'd recommend an Aquarian Hi-Performance because it has "built in" patches on the snare beds to 1) prevent the snare strand from digging into the head (takes the place of tape) and 2) to slightly muffle the overtones in that area.

Tuning wise, get the resonant head so it's 1) in tune with itself and then 2) tight enough that it almost feels like you're pushing on a glass counter top when you press on the head with your thumb about 1-2" in front of each tension rod. Then, find the tension you want for the top head and get that head in tune with itself. Play the drum and if it's too high pitched start by lowering the pitch of the resonant head. The nice thing about 6x14 birch snares is that you can tune them pretty high and still get a nice and fat tone. Snare are one of the few places where shell material actually matters to the finished sound.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:42 am

SGarrett wrote:Snare are one of the few places where shell material actually matters to the finished sound.

I though shell material matters for all drums and their finished sounds?? :shock:

Could you elaborate a little bit because I'm probably not understanding what you mean... :?

Cheers
Duba
Silverfox Drumsticks UK Artist
Soultone Cymbals UK Artist
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:26 am

I think it might be more of a tuning issue more than the choice of heads. That combo is just fine. Now you stated you want an open and poppy sound out of your snare, most of the time when someone states that they are not getting an open sound it is because they are not tuning the drum right and/or they are using some type of dampener on one of the heads. Do you tune each head with equal tension? When putting your heads on do you allow them to set before you tune them? Also do you tighten each lug with the same amount of tenison? All of these things can cause you to have a distorted drum sound.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
SGarrett

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:55 am

drummerduba wrote:
SGarrett wrote:Snare are one of the few places where shell material actually matters to the finished sound.

I though shell material matters for all drums and their finished sounds?? :shock:

Could you elaborate a little bit because I'm probably not understanding what you mean... :?

Cheers
Duba

Drum shell material only accounts for about 10% of a drum's sound. If I put the same heads, tuned the same, on a maple kit, a bitch kit, a mahogany kit, and an acrylic kit, I doubt many people would be able to tell the difference. When it comes to toms and kicks our head choices, tuning choices, and playing touch will determine more of our sound than shell material will. Put four different people on the same kit and it'll sound like four different kits. I've had a lot of people tell me, "even though you tuned my drums I can't make them sound as good as you did". Given proper tuning and head selection for the genre, I feel that playing touch is the most important aspect to playing music on a drum set for this exact reason.

With a snare drum however, shell material makes a huge difference in tonal qualities. If I did the same thing with brass, aluminum, maple, and birch snares the sound qualities would be noticeable. For instance, my Yammy and Acro sound completely different and they have the same heads and are the same dimensions. The Yammy is maple and very lively while the Acro is aluminum and very dry. My friend has a 25-30 year old Yammy birch 6x14 snare and it sounds different than either of mine.

This is one of those things you really just have to play a lot of different drums to truly understand.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:37 pm

That is why most drummers will have several different types of snares when they tour because given the enviroment they will use a different snare, but they will use same drum set.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
jnewlon_drum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:01 am

on my 13" orange county snare i use a remo emporer X coated head because its a thick head and can take a beating...also it has a great sound...fast attack when u hit it and a perfect ring for deeper snare drums...
on my other snare i use a evans dry coated batter head and it has a really dry sound...no ring out fast attack..very loud...it makes a "CRACK" sounding noise...

good luck on ur hunt...

-josh (TGOA)
ADD ME ON MYSPACE... www.myspace.com/drum_4life