two for one?

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept
Location: trapped in my girlfriend's bass drum, scared and alone. oh, and upper indiana.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:58 am

so i bought my drums used from a guy who played in a deathcore band. and his snare was, you know, head tightened to the millionth degree, and really tight snares, to create the sound he wanted. i never played with it really, i just used the tama swingstar i bought for $15 i talked about before.

he called me back last night and said "hey man i want that snare back, cause im touring. can i come over?"

so he comes over with a BEAUTIFUL matte black sound and percussion snare, thats like amazing looking, and a little wooden picolo with the top head cracked. i just have to buy a new head for the piccolo but it sounds AMAZING. i haven't really played on them excessively yet. but i hope they both sound as good as they look.

traded away: a red to black pdp snare with sharpie all over the head. it sounded deathcore.
for: a wooden piccolo with the upper layer of the top head cracked, and a beautiful sound and percussion black snare.

good deal or what?
Joezeppi wrote:I can see how people would bash you for using gloves, kind of like a quarterback that wears gloves, he just looks like Michael Jackson out there, and we all know Michael Jackson likes young boys.
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:30 pm

"sounded dethcore"...i have no idea what that means but idk, i guess good trade. i like those PDP snares. They have good range.

two snares for one sounds like a deal. esp. a piccolo and a normal snare. now you got dif. sound to choose from. never heard of sound and percussion tho. i HAVE heard of sound percussion and that's a straight up low level, beginner equip company

sounds like you got a good deal tho. go get em heads
Howepirate

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:14 pm

I'm in 2 deathcore bands and my top head is ridiculously tight with a much looser bottom and almost falling off snares. It's the perfect amount of ridiculous crack that's also perfect for ghosting.

Don't hate on deathcore.

Edit: I'm on a cheap steel pearl piccolo. For my 14x7 I tune much looser.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:16 pm

howe's got his drum love back. good to hear it.

I don't think he was hating on anything, just wasn't sure exactly what a "deathcore" snare sound would encompass.
Howepirate

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:18 pm

Alan_ wrote:howe's got his drum love back. good to hear it.

I don't think he was hating on anything, just wasn't sure exactly what a "deathcore" snare sound would encompass.

It's hard. I'm still ready to pack my sh*t and sell it at any moment but every couple days I really get in the mood.

And I'm just saying, don't hate :wink:

One of my bands names is Katyn (massacre of ww2). Don't be hatyn cuz we're katyn hehehe
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:26 pm

I'm still not really sure what the defining parameters of deathcore are. Oldschool metalhead here. What's the difference between deathcore and metalcore? Are we talking like Acacia Strain?
Howepirate

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:28 pm

Alan_ wrote:I'm still not really sure what the defining parameters of deathcore are. Oldschool metalhead here. What's the difference between deathcore and metalcore? Are we talking like Acacia Strain?

Look up: White Chapel
Through The Eyes of the Dead
Impending Doom (more modern grindcore-ish with deathcore influences)
Born of Osiris (deathcore with real talent, though i listen to all the bands mentioned before)
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:32 pm

I've heard Born of Osiris. Enjoyed them tons. Their drummer is freaking sick.
Howepirate

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:33 pm

Alan_ wrote:I've heard Born of Osiris. Enjoyed them tons. Their drummer is freaking sick.

Yeah they're like melo-deathcore with a bit of a black metal background in them. They're so fresh and innovative to me still. I have yet to hear anyone to compare with them.

Maybe you have?
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:37 pm

nope.
custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept
Location: trapped in my girlfriend's bass drum, scared and alone. oh, and upper indiana.

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:02 pm

me again. i was at school when i started this, now im actually at the local library. lol i dont have hispeed at home.

when i meant sounded deathcore. i just meant a super duper tight sound, head, everything. just... idk how else to describe it. but if you hear a band like carnifex (listen to "slit wrist savior" for this) and there's like the uber fast snare hits, it sounds like that when u hit it. i didnt really like it.

and why is sound percussion (which was what i meant) so low level?
and how is pdp on that scale?

i couldn't get the snares to even sound on it when i fiddle with it, just sounded like no snares, even though they're on the bottom head... i tightened the knob all the way up. i turned off the throw and loosened the screws on the other side, pulled tight, and tightened again, then put the throw back up and the snares STILL didnt sound. anyone help out?

and the piccolo sounded badass, but when i looked i realized not all the tension rods were the same. and between the hoop and the head, there was a massive amount of dirt and woodchippings. i took off the head, cleaned all taht stuff out, and even though i know this was incorrect, put the head back on and willy-nilly tightened the rods in an effort to get the same sound back. it's there, but just not as good as before. maybe that dirt was doing something i didnt know ;)

but what bad things happen when you go, as i said, "willy nilly" and just tighten without trying to keep the tension consistent?

thanks a lot!
Joezeppi wrote:I can see how people would bash you for using gloves, kind of like a quarterback that wears gloves, he just looks like Michael Jackson out there, and we all know Michael Jackson likes young boys.
Howepirate

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:20 pm

Nothing happens other than getting a better snare sound. Tight is the way to go.
custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:31 pm

ehh. i might try and trade it away, or sell it. idk. the sound percussion, i mean. i LOVE the piccolo.
Howepirate

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:40 pm

custom_sticks wrote:ehh. i might try and trade it away, or sell it. idk. the sound percussion, i mean. i LOVE the piccolo.

Yeah I actually own 2 piccs.

I don't rly like wood snares so they're brass and steel.
custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:36 am

nice, nice. after i hit the picc, the snares still sound a bit. how do i prevent this?