jordison snare

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:02 pm

is it worth the money for a metal/ rock drummer?
screw you mike
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:08 pm

no, you can get the same steel snare for a WHOLE lot less
and it'll probably sound better..

with the joey snare you're paying for the name on it and the S logo
drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:11 pm

how much do you think one of those steel snares will go for? and any brands you can think of that might sell it?
screw you mike
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:22 pm

drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:43 pm

Its really not worth it. It does sound good, but its so expensive. You can buy a nice snare for that price
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:16 pm

I bought a yamaha steve jordan snare off ebay today for $320 shipped. jj new is $300. yamaha is 4 ply maple shell. jj is steel. same dimensions. I've played both and there is no comparison which is better. is it worth the cost? well, that's up to you. to me, no. if it's the last snare you ever own and it's the one you want, well, it may be worth it to you. you have to decide that.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:40 am

I personally think that if it's the sound you're looking for, then it's worth the money. I got mine for $230 new so it wasn't too bad.

Every time someone brings this up, anavrinIV always brings up the whole Maple snare thing. I don't think that there should be a comparison since maple and steel have completely different sounds. But I've been thinking about getting a picollo snare to replace the JJ because I've heard picollos and like them better.

But if you're going to play metal, I would get a steel snare despite what anavrin says. The only problem with this snare is that you'd need a low stand to set it on or it's up too high. And of course, I'd love to get that damned Slipknot logo off =)
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:38 am

metldrummer2112 wrote:I personally think that if it's the sound you're looking for, then it's worth the money. I got mine for $230 new so it wasn't too bad.

Every time someone brings this up, anavrinIV always brings up the whole Maple snare thing. I don't think that there should be a comparison since maple and steel have completely different sounds. But I've been thinking about getting a picollo snare to replace the JJ because I've heard picollos and like them better.

But if you're going to play metal, I would get a steel snare despite what anavrin says. The only problem with this snare is that you'd need a low stand to set it on or it's up too high. And of course, I'd love to get that damned Slipknot logo off =)

I make the comparison because, by all accounts, maple is a more expensive and laborious material to use. sound is not the issue. In fact, I told the guy that the drum would be worth it if it's the sound he's really going for. and unless you sit on the ground of you put your snare there you shouldn't need a low snare stand. I use my tama roadpro for any snare I need to and it goes to the right height...maybe not something ridiculous like a 12" deep drum but I bet it would handle up to 8 with no issues.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
bass-ackwards
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:44 pm

what about a Ludwig Acrolite, people here swear by them, apparantly they do every job well from what i've heard.

Brother_Bong wrote:You are number one so that makes everyone else number two. Like poop.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:51 pm

you won't get any argument from me regarding the acrolite. they are fantastic sounding drums. I would say that pretty much any ludwig aluminum alloy snare drum is a step up from 90% of steel drums at producing a great usable snare tone, but that's an opinion. who knows, maybe steel's what you're looking for. steel tends to produce more high ringy overtones than aluminum.
vincemie
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:26 pm

you can step up to a much "better" drum made from a wider variety of materials and from a variety of companies for that money. your paying for a slipknot logo. im pretty sure joey jordison does not use that drum at all anyway. which is really funny if you ask me. or you can pay a lot less and get anyone of a number of steel drums from pearl or any other company as well.
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:45 pm

My 100th of a pounds worth. Get an Acrolite first(although a 400 would not go a miss). It will give you the foundation your looking for. Once you have soaked in what one of those babies can do for you, then go out and start collecting snares for different applications. It worked for me. :wink:
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:32 pm

anavrinIV wrote:
metldrummer2112 wrote:I personally think that if it's the sound you're looking for, then it's worth the money. I got mine for $230 new so it wasn't too bad.

I make the comparison because, by all accounts, maple is a more expensive and laborious material to use. sound is not the issue. In fact, I told the guy that the drum would be worth it if it's the sound he's really going for. and unless you sit on the ground of you put your snare there you shouldn't need a low snare stand. I use my tama roadpro for any snare I need to and it goes to the right height...maybe not something ridiculous like a 12" deep drum but I bet it would handle up to 8 with no issues.

Obviously maple is more expensive and harder worked on than steel. I'm not going to sit here and start a pissing match about that. All I'm saying is that I don't like wooden snares. And I think with everything I've been talking to him about lately, this seems like the obvious choice. Or a 13"x3.5". Nick Barker uses that, and I'm gonna buy one.

But if he likes maple more, more power to him!

And I'm 14, I'm not what you would call a tall person (5'5" at best). The snare is too high for me. So are my toms. That's why the set I'm buying next week has smaller sizes. Better rebound and easier for me to play.

Now if you're tall then you should be able to do it without a low stand.
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:03 pm

I think the general consensus is that you can get a better steel shell for the money. So much is down to personal preference regarding the difference between wood and steel - personally I'm a fan of wood, but that's just me. Try stuff out, make your kit sound the way you want it to.
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
kplante069
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:12 pm

To start off with this is going to be a rant. I am so F'in sick of these posts. I know the search function sucks but it can't be that hard to find the numeres posts regarding this topic and so many like it! I'll start this honestly by saying I have not played a JJ snare. That being said it's a steel snare! Not maple or birch or brass. It's steel! Other than loud how"good" will it sound? Go play it. If you like it and want to fuel the industry by spending $$ on a piece of steel with some cool looking logo's on it have at it. Do you realy think JJ is using this POS on his kit? All you youngin's need to learn about marketing so you can save some money. If you really feel the need, spend your parents money on it. I'm sure when it comes out of your own pocket you'l look a little harder at what else is around that's really worth the money. OK, rant over. I feel better.