Mini snares?

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

a7xjlee
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:41 pm

I was just wondering what mini (novelty snares) you guys have and what expericnes youve had with different ones. If you dont know what im talking about ill give you an example snares like the pearl firecracker ect. usually side snares with pretty high tension for nice crack/pop.
Damian king 2001 "Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitement of the potential"
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm

I love them, I need to get a good one when I have the money! I have used the pdp piccolo 13x3.5 and I used it as a main on my starter set about 4 yrs ago because I loved/still do high pitched snares.

I have played the firecracker (wood) and they are probably the best wood "popcorn" snare out of the $100 range. The pdp 805 is cool too. I want to get a custom popcorn myself one of these days.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
a7xjlee
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:35 pm

Same man i rearly want one but dont know of any good ones and my local music stores doosn't sell any so im trying to get a view of all the ones out there and see what people think of em
Damian king 2001 "Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitement of the potential"
disrupt13
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:01 pm

I have the wood firecracker, its a good snare, I'd replace the snare wires though,

If you can check it out dude, you won't be dissapointed.
disrupt13
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:02 pm

I have the wood firecracker, its a good snare, I'd replace the snare wires though,

If you can check it out dude, you won't be dissapointed.
a7xjlee
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:06 pm

billy hydes drum craft has a few but thats atleast 2 hours drive away i might go up this weekend and try em out. im itching for one 8)
J-rod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:36 am

i have a 10x6 maple popcorn snare by pearl. i love the thing, gives me exactly what i want out of it. It doesnt carry super far so in larger live settings micing is a must but its great for small to midsized gigs and band practices.
dw collector series maple
zildjian and saluda cymbals
dw and yamaha snares
dw hardware
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:50 pm

I have a Mapex 12x8 Black Panther. Not really very good. It's ok live but a bit bongy sounding really. It sounded great in the shop all those years ago, but it just lay's around these days. Maybe I should dust it down sometime and see what I can do with it. Never been a fan of Mapex anyway.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
Effjay
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:20 pm

10x5 Firecracker for me, metal version, I'd go with the advice above though, and swap out the snare wires. Other than that, it cracks nicely :)
Pearl ELX in Cobalt Fade
Evans Heads
Zildjian & Sabian Cymbals
Pearl Elx/Sonor Birch/Pearl Maple Piccolo/Premier 2000/Pearl Firecracker SNARES
Pearl hardware
Sonor Pedals
Ahead Sticks/Vic Firth Weckl Sticks
Hardcase Cases
christopherabruce
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:44 pm

My Spaun 10"x5" has a die cast hoop on top which solidifies the sound even more. I don't have to crank the top head to get a good solid crack. Bottom head is, as with all my other snares, cranked as high as possible.
pdp
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:32 pm

805's are awesome
the white on white is sweet looking
bigtone23
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:28 am

I have a few little snares. They all have various single-ply coated batters and 3mil snare side heads. Most have 16-strand Puresound Customs.

10x5.5" Tama G-Maple (6mm?) Early 2000s version. I use this a lot as an aux snare, it's tuned medium high on both sides and pops through really nice with great sensitivity and body for it's size. I like it with the snares off, too. It's very similar to a really small timbale. I put 2.3mm hoops on it and it got a better high end crack. This is getting pretty road beat. I am looking for a 10x6" M1060 Pearl Popcorn to replace this eventually.
10x6" Tama Steel. Exactly like the above snare-steel version. Way too bright and loud for my tastes. I sold it when I got the maple version.
10x2" Sonor Jungle Snare. This doesn't have much body, but it dryly pops through. I don't care for the single-ended tension rods tuning both heads at once, but after some experimentation a usable tuning can be found. This drum is also great with the snares off for a jingly tom/timbale dry crack. Gotta really lay into it to activate the jingles.
10x5" First Act kids snare. (5mm luan). Has original heads, 4-lug thin stamped hoops and tone knob activated snare wire/brush thingy. It sounds like a toy, which is why I love it.
12x5" Sonor Force 2000 (8mm poplar)-really nice, warm tone with body. Compliments the 10x5.5" Maple Tama really well. I like to use this when I desire less crack for my aux snare. Makes a decent primary snare as well. The Pearl Firecracker sounds very similar to this, but the Sonor edges impart a more true tone.
12x7" Pearl Maple M-1270(8mm). This has tons of body and projection. I put 2.3mm "Stick Saver" hoops on it and it really came into the tone I was looking for. This is used as my primary snare for home practice. I put a Yamaha Groove Wedge on it and the cross stick sound is great. It will now go out to gigs way more often. This is also used as an aux when I take out a deep-tuned wood primary snare so they have a similar tonality. This is a real sleeper in the Pearl line. It's built really well and they sell for pretty cheap, like $100-140ish used.
13x3" 1976 Ludwig Jazz Combo (Ludaloy aluminum shell). This was rescued from a dumpster and is the most hip-hop sounding snare I have. Textbook hip hop snare. The shell has that midrange honk Ludwigs are famous for, the attack is very full and wide, but the decay is very abrupt, almost like it's gated. Very, very cool drum with a crisp cut to it. I put an old 2.3mm Stick Saver hoop on the batter side only. Really helped focus it in a bit. Great as a primary or aux. The snares-off tone is really cool, too.
b b253
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:29 am

i have a 10X5.5 mapex steel side snare. I love the sound it makes a nice high pop sound. i use it for fills and for some songs i use it as my main snare. it fits good too right beside my main snare. I got it in a trade and i love it, you should definitally look into a side snare.
Pulse double bass kit
Mapex M birch 5 peice kit
Mapex steel 10 by 5.5 side snare
Sabian xs20 cymbals
Zildjian Avedis
Tama hardware
Remo heads
Regal tip =)
http://www.myspace.com/thedrummerboyoftheworld
Timekeep69

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:39 am

I can always make ya one.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:06 am

I have a 12x7 Mapex Pro Series snare that I use as a main snare I have it cranked kinda high and it has a really nice pop and crack.
Last edited by I love Cheese and drums on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!