Help! My Snare Hmmmms

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

509inc
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:25 am

I own two snares and they each have a hum after the initial "crack or pop". And I mean hummmmm. I don't like that one bit.

So can anyone give me some tips on how to resolve this issue.

I have tried moongels but I have to use two sometimes three. I think thats just absurd.

The sounds I'm looking for is just a dry crack sound.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Kilometers
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:46 am

Does it sound like just one snare strand is buzzing, or is it the whole thing? I think it's that your drum is still resonating. Crank up the batter head and see if that works.
509inc
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:57 am

It doesn't sound like the snare strands, it sounds like the drum is still resonating. If I put my hand on or near the rim it goes away. I hope that makes sense.

So if I understand correctly, your saying I should tighten the batter heads?

I'll definitly try that tonight cause it just kills me to hear that hum when I'm practicing by myself.
Kilometers
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:15 pm

Yeah, just tighten the batter head. That removes alot of the resonance. I had this problem with my old snare.
509inc
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Thanks alot I'll let you know how it works out.
Kilometers
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:17 pm

If just tightening the batter doesn't work, loosen the resonant head.
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:45 pm

I had the same problem. Tuning up the batter head did work, but I didn't like the higher pitch of the snare. I installed an internal muffler and it was amazing. I can tune the snare any way I want and have no muffle, and very minimal with a band, which can't be heard anyway in the mix. Pearl makes one for $5 on guitar center's website.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
509inc
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:52 pm

johnisonfire wrote:I had the same problem. Tuning up the batter head did work, but I didn't like the higher pitch of the snare. I installed an internal muffler and it was amazing. I can tune the snare any way I want and have no muffle, and very minimal with a band, which can't be heard anyway in the mix. Pearl makes one for $5 on guitar center's website.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in refernece to your snare pitch being to high won't lossening the snare side head lower the pitch and resolve that problem.

And how did you install the internal muffler? Did it require drilling? My new snare has 5 huge vents, so not much room for more holes.
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:09 pm

If your having problems with the vented snare you have got to refresh your self on tunning!

And the pearl muffler is externally mounted on the rim but I think its a P.O.S.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:31 pm

Maybe it's time to replace both your heads and your Snare bed. A total spring clean of the Drum.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
509inc
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:17 pm

Steaky wrote:Maybe it's time to replace both your heads and your Snare bed. A total spring clean of the Drum.

It has new heads.

I ran home on my lunch break and tightened the Batter head and it helped a little. Next I loosened snare side head which gave me a lower tone. But it still had the "Hmm." Then I added some dampening to it and "BAM." I got that nice dry crack I was looking for.

The thing is I would like to get that sound without damping the batter head.

Tonight after work I'm going to start over and tune it up.

Am I just being to picky? Does anyone else get that hmm? Now its very minimal, but I think it shouldn't be there at all.
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:47 pm

just tune em both higher and its gone. What a lot of people don't realize is even if you feel your snare is to high pitched is it really isn't from 20 feet away. John Bonham tunned his drums higher even tough they sound gigantic.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:23 pm

Glad you found it.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
509inc
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:11 am

AmnestysLowEnd wrote:just tune em both higher and its gone. What a lot of people don't realize is even if you feel your snare is to high pitched is it really isn't from 20 feet away. John Bonham tunned his drums higher even tough they sound gigantic.

Dude how high is high?

I tune my kit low low. My floor toms "Boom" when I hit them, and in my opinion a high snare just doesn't mix well.

I took the heads off and started completely over and tuned my new to me "used" vented MM snare up. The damn thing is still a hmmming bastard. Pardon my french. I'm ashammed to say much dampening I'm using to dry it out.

I just don't get it.
nightcrawler_steve
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:35 am

I cant believe no one has even asked what kind of heads are you running?

Snares ring....its what they do.

If you want a completely dead/dry sound, then dampen the heck out of it, use the right heads for the job, or just use a cardboard box....its all pretty much the same.
ODERY / DW / DUNNETT / PAISTE / ZILDJIAN / SABIAN
----------------------------------------------------------------