some basic questions on snares

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:27 am

these questions have been in my head for a while and i just wanted some of you wise and fine looking gentlemen (or ladies if your on here) to clarify.
What does tightening the reso on the snare do for the crack? if i tighten the snare wires as well wont that just choke the drum because you have a skin that could be tuned too high for the shell (one of my fears) and the snare wires will only exacerbate that choking.
And probably more importantly in my case, what are snare beds and how are they cut? one of my first posts on here eventually led to a dozen or so comments saying, "how can you not know what a snare bed is!? you've just made a shallow tom not a snare!!!" but no-one actually explained to me what it is and how i can cut it, and dont say "get a professional to do it" because i want to learn not spend money!
I put the Q's in bold for you skimmers.
cheers
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
Timekeep69

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:02 am

Snare beds are basically grooves cut in the shell that allow the snares to lie flat against the reso head. When you tighten the snare wires without beds, they tend to arch a little causing them to buzz.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Kris
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:32 am

The Resonating head contributes to your tone, ring, and responce time as well as the wash of the drum. A loose head will be a washier sound, a deeper pitch with a slower decay , but not as much ring. A tighter reso head is just the opposite, a fast snappy responce, immediate attack, with limited wash and resonance , but a bit more ring and a higher pitch....it really all depends on what you are looking for sound wise to go with the music you are playing or what you expect to hear out of the drum as to how you might want to torque that resonant head..
Be Strong to Endure - Endure to be Strong !
www.krisardolino.com
http://www.myspace.com/krisardolino
SGarrett

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:58 am

If you tighten the resonate to the point where it chokes the drum, loosen it. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:17 am

SGarrett wrote:If you tighten the resonate to the point where it chokes the drum, loosen it. :)
common sense provails again!
So a snare with a tighter reso head will have more crack, less wash. thanks for clarifying that.
But snare beds... if i were to look horizontal with the drum would the area where theds are be lower overall, or just have a sharper angle? and if it is lower how much (preferably in mm's, im no good with imperial :) )
and are the area of snare beds generally rounder than the normal bearing edge or what? i just want a good description so i can do my best on my lower bearing edge and beds, because my top is doing alright.
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
dedrummervanrolf
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:07 am

you can see snare beds when you take the heads off a snare, and lay the shell on a table or any flat surface. The beds will be maybe one millimeter deep, so you should be able to see some light peeping under the shell.

here's a picture from precision's website, showing a pretty neat snare bed:

http://www.precisiondrum.com/assets/ima ... re_bed.jpg

I think the angle of the bearing edge is the same on the bed as it is on the rest of the drum.
cheers
me: www.myspace.com/dedrummervanrolf
my band: www.myspace.com/rolfdeband
Gretsch, Wooding, Ludwig, Sabian. random hardware.
SGarrett

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:10 am

The best way to find out what different head tensions do, is to try them. That's also the best way to develop your ears. :)

This is how to cut snare beds: http://www.drumfoundry.com/p-3092-snare ... ate-a.aspx

Click on "enlarge picture" and you can see come different angles for cutting snare beds.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:23 pm

awesome thanks guys. although im gonna be a bitch and ask 1 more question. In the drum foundry picture it has 3 different templates. 1 shallow, one steeper one one witha really sharp drop on each side, whats the sound difference? thanks again
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare