13"x7" Do odd sizes make any difference?

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

KKBDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Your face.

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:02 pm

I was thinking of buying a 13" x 7" Brady Snare

<img src="http://www.birminghamdrumcentre.co.uk/images/products/medium/block(3).jpg">

And wanted to know if odd sizes can in anyway affect the way the drum should sound?
And any precautions I should take to make sure it doesn't.
http://www.myspace.com/paidinblooduk
MUSIC UP SOON
Tama
Vic Firth
Sabian
OPEN FOR ENDORSEMENTS:D
User avatar
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2432
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:13 pm
Location: Lexington, KY

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Dude...

Of course sizes are going to affect a drums sound. That's a no-brainer.

A 13" snare is going to be higher-pitched than a 14" one.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
User avatar
bodiesablaze805
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: c-a-l-i-f-o-r-n-i-a

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:19 pm

it will have alot of pop and wont be able to tune as low as a 14"...it al depends on how you wanna tune it and for what style music
Creature Drum Co. Kit
20x24, 12x6, 15x13
Ghost Black Satin Stain w/ Brass Hardware

14x7 Hybrid Snare (Green Glitter/Clear Acrylic) {STOLEN}
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:27 pm

ooh a brady snare! what kind of wood is it gonna be made from?

not so much that odd sizes make a difference, but of course it will be higher pitched than a 14" drum of that same type. one thing I've noticed in my limited experience with 2 brady snares owned by friends and 5 or so I've seen in shops: they tend to be a slight bit lower in pitch and also more throaty than normal ply drums made out of temperate-weather hardwoods for a corresponding amount of tension. they also seem to project more of the sound from the snares at any distance. in other words, they have this cool fat, growly sound going on. this was true of every drum but one. that one was made out of some SUPER hard australian wood, and kind of combined the sound characteristics of a metal and a wood drum.
KKBDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Your face.

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:27 pm

Mitchell? wrote:Dude...

Of course sizes are going to affect a drums sound. That's a no-brainer.

A 13" snare is going to be higher-pitched than a 14" one.

i knew it'd be a higher pitch, i just meant it it'd be a bitch to tune,

like 12x9 toms.
haha
http://www.myspace.com/paidinblooduk
MUSIC UP SOON
Tama
Vic Firth
Sabian
OPEN FOR ENDORSEMENTS:D
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:28 pm

brady drums are really easy to tune.

see above for a breakdown on my experiences with them. they sound like nothing else on the planet.
KKBDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Your face.

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:30 pm

Alan_ wrote:ooh a brady snare! what kind of wood is it gonna be made from?

not so much that odd sizes make a difference, but of course it will be higher pitched than a 14" drum of that same type. one thing I've noticed in my limited experience with 2 brady snares owned by friends and 5 or so I've seen in shops: they tend to be a slight bit lower in pitch and also more throaty than normal ply drums made out of temperate-weather hardwoods for a corresponding amount of tension. they also seem to project more of the sound from the snares at any distance. in other words, they have this cool fat, growly sound going on. this was true of every drum but one. that one was made out of some SUPER hard australian wood, and kind of combined the sound characteristics of a metal and a wood drum.


The website say's Sheoak, but it's everything I need, fat sounding, high pitched.
With a mother of a rim-shot.
:)

thanks for the info
http://www.myspace.com/paidinblooduk
MUSIC UP SOON
Tama
Vic Firth
Sabian
OPEN FOR ENDORSEMENTS:D
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:43 pm

I believe the drum I heard that kind of sounded in-between was in fact she-oak. it's a REALLY dense wood.
User avatar
J-rod
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Oneonta New York

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:32 pm

damn, a brady snare, when you get that bad boy ill be super jealous... some day maybe ill be lucky enough to have one, till then ill be quite satisfied with my craviotto
dw collector series maple
zildjian and saluda cymbals
dw and yamaha snares
dw hardware
User avatar
vincemie
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:41 pm
Location: new brunswick nj

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:35 pm

thats gonna be awesome im sure you already know but in case you dont they run like 5 or 6 hundred dollars and up, hope i didnt kill your dream :) and enjoy that thing if and when you get it
User avatar
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: duluth, mn

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:39 am

my main snare is a 13x6 (i also have a 13x7 and a 12x6.5)

i don't find them any more difficult to tune than a 14xwhatever.

i also haven't had an issue with the tuning range of the 13 inch snares... probably because of the depth. i've never thought to myself "man, i was i could tune this thing lower."
KKBDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: Your face.

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:24 am

vincemie wrote:thats gonna be awesome im sure you already know but in case you dont they run like 5 or 6 hundred dollars and up, hope i didnt kill your dream :) and enjoy that thing if and when you get it


yeah i know,
I've been saving for quite a while for one of these.
Had to sell my xbox 360 and other stuff,
But I managed to get loads of stuff too
haha

Like an iMac, triggers, Alesis DM5 and now a brady
haha
http://www.myspace.com/paidinblooduk
MUSIC UP SOON
Tama
Vic Firth
Sabian
OPEN FOR ENDORSEMENTS:D
User avatar
Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:40 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:00 pm

i want a 13'' snare! whats a brady, ive never heard of them
User avatar
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:05 am
Location: sydney australia

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:16 am

Potatoe Snack wrote:i want a 13'' snare! whats a brady, ive never heard of them
brady is an australian custom-ish drum company that makes their own shells from australian native timbers and has a range of shell types outside of the normal steam bent.

edit: did i forget to mention they are amazingly good but are insanely expensive?
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
User avatar
a7xjlee
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:51 pm
Location: nsw

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:06 am

if i go custom ittl be brady becuase im australian and would love to own an australian hardwood kit.do they make drums out of blue gum cause thats incredibly hard wood,GOO AUSTRALIA
Last edited by a7xjlee on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damian king 2001 "Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitement of the potential"