tuning

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept
Location: trapped in my girlfriend's bass drum, scared and alone. oh, and upper indiana.

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:58 pm

im assuming that "righty tighty, lefty loosey" applies, because the kid i bough my drums from played metal, and their tuned so tight, i cannot, repeat, CANNOT loosen them. it IS righty tighty, etc, correct?
Joezeppi wrote:I can see how people would bash you for using gloves, kind of like a quarterback that wears gloves, he just looks like Michael Jackson out there, and we all know Michael Jackson likes young boys.
SGarrett

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:59 pm

Yes, sir. Good luck with that.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
vincemie
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:54 pm

if you cant loosen the tension rods chances are the lugs are broken or near broken, once you get them out, ,if you get them out DO NOT DO THE SAME THING THAT GUY DID and tighten them to the point where they cant be loosened. take vaseline and dab a little on the end of the tension rods and screw them in, you dont need a lot just a little. drums are never i repeat never meant to be tightened so much you cant get them out, the person you bought them from A: didnt know what they were doing and B: probably sold you some broken stuff. you should kick his ass and get your loot back if you cant get the tension rods out. also just because someone plays metal does not mean he should be tensioning so tight. and scott that was funny btw
the whole point of tuning is to achieve even tension around the head. not to screw the lugs so tight you break the drum
custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept
Location: trapped in my girlfriend's bass drum, scared and alone. oh, and upper indiana.

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:35 pm

i know. he was probably going for that super poppy sound on the snare, but he probably went too far. i think the bottom ones have warped the, uh, damn. the metal ring. whats the name.

so ok, whats my best bet on that? if it is warped, it looks like it is, how can i fix it? including the top tension rods?
Joezeppi wrote:I can see how people would bash you for using gloves, kind of like a quarterback that wears gloves, he just looks like Michael Jackson out there, and we all know Michael Jackson likes young boys.
custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:59 pm

ok, i hope there's no pattern to LOOSENING the tension rods, cause i got em moving :/ im just gonna take them all out and start from scratch.
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:29 pm

sounds like a good idea, take the tension rods all the way out, remove the rim and remove the skin. check to see if the rim is warped by comparing it to a table or something flat like that. if it is warped you may have to replace it.
If its not (fingers crossed it isnt) put the skin back on, or a new one if you want, and tune it. If you havent tuned much before either read the drum tuning bible or search "dave weckl tuning drums" on youtube, i found the video really helpful.
good luck
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:45 pm

yeah. i just did, but when i tuned it, the tension on the, err, tensions rods, wasn't really even for each, although i gave em each, like, the exact amount of turns. and when i hit it, it sounded like there was less snare, and more just, um, drum w/o snares. any suggestions
SGarrett

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:52 am

Take the heads back off and put the drum on a flat surface. The drum itself might be warped by this point.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:45 am

I've noticed that sometimes loose skins dont seem to have the right amount of snare, but that probably just my snare drum. Make sure both the heads are tight-ish.
And tuning isnt just a matter of "spinning them the same amount" like one could first assume. If you havent watched any tutorials or read the drum tuning bible, that is a MUST! and take off the reso head as well, the longer you leave seized lugs the worse they get. Make sure the actual snare wires are on tight-ish as well.
and during the course of all that do what Garret said and place the drum on a flat surface (the best would be glass or stone) without any rims, for starters if the drum can rock, it's pretty screwed and if not shine a torch inside the drum and see if light shines out the bottom, it will shine out from underneath the high spots, if thats all good the main problem isnt the shell its the rims or skins or tuning. because the skins may have been stressed from being tightened rather than tuned
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
custom_sticks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:09 pm

yeah. ill figure this out. where is the drum tuning bible available? and i dont wanna screw up the bottom head... idk what im doing if i take off the bottom one and the snares.
Opopanax
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:21 am