tuning my snare

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:50 pm

youngdrummer1993 wrote:
SGarrett wrote:After over a dozen of these topics, I'll just let him do what he wants and learn from experience. :)

A dozen of what topics? This is the only topic I've made about my snare...

It's not my fault I'm a complete noob.

And what I meant about taping the snare, I just put the TINIEST (like 1/8 of an inch) strip of tape across the snare and it stopped the buzzing.

The rem-o also helped a lot after I tightened the batter head and the reso a little bit.

Thanks guys, esepcially Garret, you guys are a lot of help and I hope you can give me more advice if I need it :D.

He means all the other topics by other people.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
youngdrummer1993
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:30 pm

Mitchell? wrote:
youngdrummer1993 wrote:
SGarrett wrote:After over a dozen of these topics, I'll just let him do what he wants and learn from experience. :)

A dozen of what topics? This is the only topic I've made about my snare...

It's not my fault I'm a complete noob.

And what I meant about taping the snare, I just put the TINIEST (like 1/8 of an inch) strip of tape across the snare and it stopped the buzzing.

The rem-o also helped a lot after I tightened the batter head and the reso a little bit.

Thanks guys, esepcially Garret, you guys are a lot of help and I hope you can give me more advice if I need it :D.

He means all the other topics by other people.

Oh, thanks Mitch :D.

You guyd are a lot of help from me. I don't know anyone else that plays drums where I live, so I'm kind of on my own :/.
SGarrett

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:36 pm

I'm not trying to be a downer. It might sound good to you at this point and while you're behind the kit, but out in front of the kit it doesn't sound very good at all. Your snare sounds like a cardboard box. How do I know this? The same way the rest of us do, we tried it and found it that it didn't work as well as we thought. Check out the drum tuning sticky and go to the Drum Tuning Bible. It's well worth the time to learn how to tune. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:46 pm

ImageImageImage
Steve@NDC
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:26 am

I'd just add that a little snare buzzing is not necessarily a bad thing. In a full-band setting, the rest of the instrument sounds (amps, PA, cymbal wash, etc...) will tend to cancel out that buzz that might seem annoying in your practice room.
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Steve@NDC wrote:I'd just add that a little snare buzzing is not necessarily a bad thing. In a full-band setting, the rest of the instrument sounds (amps, PA, cymbal wash, etc...) will tend to cancel out that buzz that might seem annoying in your practice room.

That's the truth.
ImageImageImage
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:50 pm

Alan_ wrote:
AmnestysLowEnd wrote:You need to really tighten a Emperor X to get it to sound clean!

no. what you DO need to do with any 2-ply head is tighten it up a bit and let it sit overnight so the head is properly seated to the bearing edge on your particular drum. take the tension back down and tune it the next day.

I do the same even with 1 ply's but with my experience with the Emp X the best way to get it to sound clean is with a tighter tunning. I don't use this head because I am appalled by what it dose to resonance not I go with G1/ambassadors or a power center non reverse.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:52 pm

Steve@NDC wrote:I'd just add that a little snare buzzing is not necessarily a bad thing. In a full-band setting, the rest of the instrument sounds (amps, PA, cymbal wash, etc...) will tend to cancel out that buzz that might seem annoying in your practice room.

YES!!!!! I agree 150%, I actually don't like how my bass drum sounds without a little buzz it makes the drums fell/sound like one instrument not separate pieces. I personally go for an organic sound when recording versus the overly clean sound.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:42 pm

1. Switch to Evans and get the Evans Ec Reverse Dot Snare

2. Change the Snare Wires!

3. Enjoi!
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:23 pm

DRUMSMYWIFE wrote:1. Switch to Evans and get the Evans Ec Reverse Dot Snare

2. Change the Snare Wires!

3. Enjoi!

I bought some puresound blaster wires and it cut some buzz down.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals