help?

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

drummerboi4130
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:16 pm

so i bought a Pork Pie Pig Lite Acrylic Snare Drum on ebay and when i got it in the mail it was already tuned up tight and ready to go. after playing with it for about an hour, i noticed that the drum wasn't in tune anymore. so i checked the drum and noticed that some of the lugs on the bottom head have gotten loose, i figured it was just cause i was hitting the snare too hard so i tuned it back up and played again, this time not as hard. after about maybe 30 minutes the drum started sounded horrible again. i checked the bottom lugs and they were loose.. again! i know it didn't happen because i hit the drum too hard because i was playing softer than normal. so i unscrewed every lug on the bottom head and i found out that there were huge wrinkles in the bottom head. could this be causing the problem? if i bought a new resonant head, will the lugs stop getting loosened? help please!
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:25 pm

I've heard that Pork Pie's have a reputation for going out of tune.

And hitting a snare drum hard will also make it go out of tune.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:59 pm

Do ya have a drum dial?

2nd....... get some lug locks.

3rd. ........ If you crank that acrylic up too much, unevenly between top and bottom...... you just might shatter your shell.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:10 pm

ThePloughman wrote:Do ya have a drum dial?

3rd. ........ If you crank that acrylic up too much, unevenly between top and bottom...... you just might shatter your shell.
shattering shells! thats crazy!

I say take the cheapest option first to see if that works, so first off get a new bottom head and see if it still happens... THEN look at some other options
BBS
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
drummerboi4130
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:06 am

yes i do have a drum dial. i think i tune the top to 90 and the bottom to around 83, is that bad?
where can i get lug locks?
oh and i have another problem.. when i try to tune the bottom head higher than 85, the hoop begins to get lower than the head O_o
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:51 am

drummerboi4130 wrote:

yes i do have a drum dial. i think i tune the top to 90 and the bottom to around 83, is that bad?
where can i get lug locks?
oh and i have another problem.. when i try to tune the bottom head higher than 85, the hoop begins to get lower than the head O_o
i would really get a new head if i were you and hope that is what is wrong with it, otherwise it could be quite a blow to your pocket
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:01 am

What is your bottom head?
It could be the mylar is distorting. You might pick up an ambassador snare side. Your DD numbers are in a good range. For lug locks you could check midwest percussion or one of the other online stores.

Here is a pic of the Rogers Luglock, circa. 1981-84. I know there is still something similar that is currently available.

ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:34 pm

ThePloughman wrote:What is your bottom head?
It could be the mylar is distorting. You might pick up an ambassador snare side. Your DD numbers are in a good range. For lug locks you could check midwest percussion or one of the other online stores.

Here is a pic of the Rogers Luglock, circa. 1981-84. I know there is still something similar that is currently available.

Those are smart! I think every snare drum should come with one of those
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
drummerboi4130
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:12 pm

ThePloughman wrote:What is your bottom head?

my bottom head is an evans snare side 300 hazy. you think that's the problem?
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:17 pm

it's entirely possible that the bottom head had already been stretched beyond all recognition before you got the drum if you bought it used.
drummerboi4130
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:26 am

okay so i bought another drum head this afternoon, tuned it up on my snare, played a show, and the snare stayed in tune the whole time! amazing, huh?
thanks for the help guys
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:10 am

drummerboi4130 wrote:okay so i bought another drum head this afternoon, tuned it up on my snare, played a show, and the snare stayed in tune the whole time! amazing, huh?
thanks for the help guys
glad to hear it wasnt a serious issue with th eshell or something.

BBS
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare