Acrolite snare

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:11 pm

zen_drummer wrote:
youngdrummer1993 wrote:Is the Acro good for metal?

Haven't you read the threads? The Acrolite is good for everything from Metal to Latvian folk-tunes. Joey Jordison uses one when nobody is looking... it has Slip Knot logo's on it in Black Sharpie Marker.

For those mother-country, Latvian folk tunes, the Acro really throws down the funk. :wink:
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
chrispychilla
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:37 am

zen_drummer wrote:
youngdrummer1993 wrote:Is the Acro good for metal?

Haven't you read the threads? The Acrolite is good for everything from Metal to Latvian folk-tunes. Joey Jordison uses one when nobody is looking... it has Slip Knot logo's on it in Black Sharpie Marker.

So you are saying my Latvian folk-tunes are really gonna rock with my new Acrolite...SWEET!
Acrolite
Ziljgian
Pro Mark
Roc-n-Soc
Amstel light
Groupies
chrispychilla
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:40 am

How would you tune it for Metal compared to Latvian folk?

Seriously.

I am guessing you would really crank it down for hard rock metal.
Acrolite
Ziljgian
Pro Mark
Roc-n-Soc
Amstel light
Groupies
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:30 am

chrispychilla wrote:How would you tune it for Metal compared to Latvian folk?

Seriously.

Crank it for metal... For Latvian Folk Tunes you need a goat skin head and hit it with small twigs from a Live Oak Tree. Remember to use it while sitting in the half lotus position on a dirt floor, it really does effect the tone.

I once saw a guy that put a damn banjo neck on an Acrolite, it was one seriously LOUD banjo!
chrispychilla
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:38 am

zen_drummer wrote:

Seriously.

Crank it for metal... For Latvian Folk Tunes you need a goat skin head and hit it with small twigs from a Live Oak Tree. Remember to use it while sitting in the half lotus position on a dirt floor, it really does effect the tone.

I once saw a guy that put a damn banjo neck on an Acrolite, it was one seriously LOUD banjo!

:shock:
Acrolite
Ziljgian
Pro Mark
Roc-n-Soc
Amstel light
Groupies
Jimbob2020
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:25 pm

zen_drummer wrote:

Seriously.

That's awesome!
DW Collector's
Ludwig Classic Maple
Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau
Meinl Byzance, Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian Platinum Cymbals
DW 5k & 9k Hardware
Evans and Remo Heads
Vic Firth
360Drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:04 pm

I have a question. How does the acrolite compare to the regular supraphonic soundwise? I know that the supraphonic costs more. Why is the acrolite so cheap anyways if its the best snare in the world?
Pearl Kit
HHX, AA
Vater
kplante069
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:28 pm

There is no "best snare in the world". But for the price and versatility it's the best money you'll spend. I got mine in 1979 when that's what was available for a "student snare". Believe it or not I thought it was a POS entry level snare. Then I really started to pay attention to some other snares. You will not find a more versital snare drum for under $150 (ebay price). Look at it this way, if you grab one for a good price and find you don't like it you can always resell it to get your $$$ back. :D
SGarrett

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:41 pm

I've been using an Acro for the last two or so months and absolutely love it.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:21 pm

360Drummer wrote:I have a question. How does the acrolite compare to the regular supraphonic soundwise? I know that the supraphonic costs more. Why is the acrolite so cheap anyways if its the best snare in the world?

This is a great question, and I'm glad you asked it!

A little history is needed here...

The Supraphonic 400 is a great snare drum, and it's probably the most recorded snare dum in all of rock and roll. It's also responsible for the extremely HIGH price of vintage wood snare drums from the 60's and 70's.... The REASON for that is because the 400 was SO POPULAR that most of the Ludwig kits came with a CHROME 400 snare drum, instead of a matching wood drum. This made the WOOD snare drums of the era EXTREMELY RARE.

BUT... the supra phonic 400 cost a fair amount to manufacture... chrome plating, 10 IMPERIAL lugs, etc. So Ludwig needed an entry level student drum. Their solution was to produce the exact same shell, but instead of Chrome Plating the "Ludalloy" shell, they did an anodized kind of finish... MUCH cheaper to make, and they put on 8 classic lugs instead of ten Imperial Lugs... cheaper to produce, MUCH cheaper to own. Ludwig sold hundreds of thousands of them, they are probably the most common snare drum ever made!

NOW, here's where the magic happens... with 8 lugs instead of ten, the shell is able to resonate more freely, but 8 is still enough to have stable tuning. With 2.0 MM hoops, instead of 2.3, the lowly Acrolite was more resonant and less choked sounding. Oddly, the Chrome Plating of the supraphonic DOES seem to "choke" the sound a bit, while the Acrolite doesn't suffer from that either. Ludwig didn't design the drum to be better, it just worked out that way... it was dumb luck! These are really amazing drums for the money.

So why is the acrolite so cheap in spite of how good it sounds? Supply and demand. These drums are absolutely everywhere, there is a nearly never-ending supply of them. I truly believe that if you drive down nearly any street in America, you'll drive past AT LEAST one house that has an Acrolite in the basement or attic. For nearly 3 decades, EVERY student drummer had one of these drums.

HOWEVER....

Even though this drum is nearly universal, it is NOT something that should be used when a specialty drum would be more appropriate. I really DO believe that every drummer SHOULD have an acrolite as a go-to universal drum... but this does NOT obviate the need for specialty, specific toned drums. I can make an acrolite work in nearly ANY situation, and if I could only have ONE snare drum, I would have the most universal drum I can find, thus the Acrolite... BUT, it will never reproduce the sound of a birch drum, a maple drum, or a Bubinga drum. It will never sound like a 10" popcorn snare, nor will it have the deep and throaty sound of an 8x14 maple drum. True, you can SUBSTITUTE the acrolite in those playing situations, but it will not sound like those drums. It will have a very passable tone of it's own.

So here's the deal... yes you should have an Acrolite in your arsenal of drum sounds, that should be self-evident by now... but you should ALSO have a Medicine Man 13", a 6 1/2 x 14 Solid Maple Shell (Like a Radio King, Noble & Cooley or Craviatto) and a wood "popcorn" or "soprano" snare drum. You'll notice every specialty drum I mentioned was wood... and for good reason... the Acrolite will be a suitable substitute for nearly ANY metal shelled snare drum in virtually any size... even brass and bronze ones.

Was this helpful in clearing up some of the hype?
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:06 pm

That was some of the best reading I've done lately.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
360Drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:36 pm

Wow that was amazing. Thanks for putting the time into helping me :D
Pearl Kit
HHX, AA
Vater
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:27 am

with 8 lugs instead of ten, the shell is able to resonate more freely,

I found this to be true too.
I have four 8 lug snares and two 10 lug snares.
They're are easier to tune up and don't choke as easy.
chrispychilla
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:45 am

Zen, I think your explanation of Acrolite vs. Supraphonic 400 lacked detail.

You failed to mention how the two different drums respond to oak tree twigs. I can only assume that your experience in Latvian Folk Tunes is not as extensive as you lead us to believe.
Acrolite
Ziljgian
Pro Mark
Roc-n-Soc
Amstel light
Groupies
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:09 am

Great post Zen and I'm pleased to say I have a MM 13" :-)

I've got my eye on a cheap Acrolite.. lets see what happens around midnight on ebay....