Good Snare For Ska/Reggae

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mikey Ramone
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:27 pm

Hey, i was wondering what a good snare for Ska/Reggae would be.

I need a snide snare for my new band which is like a ska punk/reggae influenced band.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Why, Medicine Man, of course!
Timekeep69

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:00 am

:mrgreen:
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:25 pm

12x7 or 12x6. i'm sure pj would be more than happy to make you a checkerboard one...
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:13 pm

+1 for MM.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:56 pm

yeah, smaller diameter and deeper. need that ring to it so the rimshots have a more timbale-like flavor.
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:29 pm

I'd be inclined to disagree and say Piccolo snares if you had to suggest a particular type - though pretty much any snare can be used adequately. Get it cranked up with a nice ping to it, metal tends to work better than wood, and keep the snares nice and taut for a nice loud crack :)
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:06 am

randomdrum wrote:I'd be inclined to disagree and say Piccolo snares if you had to suggest a particular type - though pretty much any snare can be used adequately. Get it cranked up with a nice ping to it, metal tends to work better than wood, and keep the snares nice and taut for a nice loud crack :)
hey random hand man is back! YAYYYYY! I think MM would be the way to go cause you can get exactly what you want and not have to take risks on stuff you are unsure of

BBS
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:36 am

Haha, hello
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
sushiman
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:59 pm

I would have said a deep drum like 6.5 or 7x14 because most of my fave reggae tunes had that deep . warm and super fat backbeat .
mmmmdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:06 pm

this might sound weird, but I am in love with the way my 14x5 supraphonic sounds with the snares off

to me it is the PERFECT reggae sound..... it sounds better than any timbale I have ever heard because It has a little more crack, but it also still sound like a timbale when it is off, it doesn't sound dead like a lot of snare drums

i love that drum
Check out my new tunes!

myspace.com/anjillapiazza

Ludwig classic maple drums
Supraphonic Snare
Regal Tip and Vic Firth Sticks
I proudly endorse Soultone Handmade Turkish cymbals
MannyDrums14
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:19 pm

i wuld say an acrolite u could either tune it up and get a really poppy snare or tune it down and get a open ringy pop sound :mrgreen:
Everybody Wang Chung Tonight.
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:52 pm

id say picollo

a 14x3 is ideal

and something metal. brass would be a real good material
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:24 pm

Maybe you should check out the history of the music and find out what the drummers used over the course of time. Google the predominant bands that are influencing you and check photo's out to see the kit's on stage. I know that a lot of these bands in the old day's of the 70's and 80's coming out of the UK scene were using Premier Drums a lot. You can pick these Drums up fairly cheap of E-bay and bag yourself that authentic sound. I must say that 60's/70's Premiers have a very attacking staccato type sound which is perfectly suited to that kind of music.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:45 pm

Steaky wrote:Maybe you should check out the history of the music and find out what the drummers used over the course of time. Google the predominant bands that are influencing you and check photo's out to see the kit's on stage. I know that a lot of these bands in the old day's of the 70's and 80's coming out of the UK scene were using Premier Drums a lot. You can pick these Drums up fairly cheap of E-bay and bag yourself that authentic sound. I must say that 60's/70's Premiers have a very attacking staccato type sound which is perfectly suited to that kind of music.

I don't know why I haven't weighed in on this subject, being Reggae drumming is, and has been, my bread and butter musically for a few years now, but here goes: Steaky couldn't be more right about the research aspect. His suggestion with some of those old Premier metal shell drums is a good one, but there are a few models from the early 60's I would not recommend, specifically the Royal Ace wood or metal shells. The reason isn't the shell but rather the lug design. I had a Royal Ace that sounded fantastic, but the poorly designed lugs could not maintain high tension without breaking. In Reggae, no matter what kind of snare you use, you're going to have to torque the head down to help achieve the correct sound.

Also, technique is a huge, HUGE, part of the sound. For instance, one technique for rimshots that I use is to hit the head closer to the edge than the center for accents. Besides providing a very naturally high pop, the volume is much lower than traditional rimshots. This is essential because most of the time the backbeat is a rim click and a normal rimshot would not balance well in the mix. Good luck.