gig money

Are You looking for new band or drummer?
Tell us when and where you play.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: gig money

Postby rlrrll » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:51 pm

I think 10% of what the band makes is a fair place to start if your a hired gun. If they earn $200 from the gig, you should get at least a $20 to cover you gas/time. If your a full member of the band -- then you should split it evenly among the band members.

If the band doesn't generate any money, your out of luck buddy!
Tom Coyne

Drummer/Performer/Teacher/Author

Vic Firth Education Team Member

The Last Dance/Red Lily/The Prophetess/Frankenstein/Mercurine/45 Grave

myspace.com/tomcoynedrumteacher

thelastdance.com
rlrrll
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Karcinogen » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:46 pm

I remember the first show I got paid to play. It was a talent show, and we got third place. Splitting $25 three ways was pretty tough, and first place was a juggler. He even dropped his tennis balls and still beat us. Damn, that sucked. Now, we just try to get a percentage of the bar tab, but we always get shorted cause bar owners are jerks.
-Offending the world, One show at a time: http://www.myspace.com/karcinogen
Karcinogen
new
new

Postby Alan_ » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:21 am

rlrrll wrote:I think 10% of what the band makes is a fair place to start if your a hired gun. If they earn $200 from the gig, you should get at least a $20 to cover you gas/time. If your a full member of the band -- then you should split it evenly among the band members.

If the band doesn't generate any money, your out of luck buddy!

I charge a flat negotiated-before-the-gig rate for "hired gun" work. At this point in my life, if you want to order me around, you have to pay for that privelege.

Mind you, if you're trying to break into this sort of work (which tbh I'm not all that interested in, rather work on things I'm intimately involved with), this might not be the right approach.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby jnewlon_drum » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:44 pm

blastbeats666 wrote:how much should you get paid for a first gig with a band?
like bar sized crowd

it depends on the venue..some venues pay and some dont...and normally its not very much...dont exspect anything over $100 because thats very unrealistic for a small show
ADD ME ON MYSPACE... www.myspace.com/drum_4life
jnewlon_drum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby b b253 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:59 pm

First show i ever played we brought in 400 bucks at the door, there was only 5 bands.. they were all a bunch or 10 and 12 year olds, my band was the oldest band there, 15 yr olds. but the other bands were from outa state, my band alone brought 400 at the door, they didnt really bring anyone but their parents.
anyway We didnt get paid that night but the next gig we got 20 bucks and the one after that we got 40 bucks. =]
Pulse double bass kit
Mapex M birch 5 peice kit
Mapex steel 10 by 5.5 side snare
Sabian xs20 cymbals
Zildjian Avedis
Tama hardware
Remo heads
Regal tip =)
http://www.myspace.com/thedrummerboyoftheworld
b b253
groove master
groove master

Postby Drumosaurus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:56 pm

In my cover band we got payed for every show except a benefit concert.

People in my area are way too nice... we sucked.
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Postby SingleStroke7 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:33 pm

If you're playing originals, you should get used to making little to no money unless you draw at least 50 people to a bar to see you play. If you're trying to make money locally, get into a cover band. If you do that, then you'll be able to negotiate your own paycheck with the owners of the bar. I wouldnt settle for less then 400 bucks for the band to start. Of course, you should be a pretty solid band with a lot of material. Try to put together enough material for 2 sets, and don't start until 9:30 ish so you can stretch it out all night. Always remember, if you put other bands on, you have to pay them, so work on that set list! And most importantly, don't ever go through a promoter, as they will take most of the money and put 5 or 6 bands on. If you draw even 50 people to a show, the owner is gonna make a couple grand on alcohol sales, so make sure you get your share...confidence is key!
SingleStroke7
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby evolusean13 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:23 am

its all about the love of music man. but if its running you 50-100 bucks in gas getting you to the gig then you gotta put your foot down and ask for some money.
evolusean13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Music for Christmas

Postby hoobre » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:57 am

Hey there i need help. I am trying to find good christmas music that isn't the typical songs you hear everywhere. Ideas? Thoughts? Someone?
hoobre
new
new

Previous

Return to Gigs