gig money

Are You looking for new band or drummer?
Tell us when and where you play.

Moderator: Moderators

gig money

Postby blastbeats666 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:10 pm

how much should you get paid for a first gig with a band?
like bar sized crowd
screw you mike
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

gig money

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: gig money

Postby Assback » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:43 pm

depends...how good a talker are you and do you have the goods to back yourself up?
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Postby metldrummer2112 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:26 pm

You know I've played like 7 or 8 shows in bars and parties and I didn't care about pay. I just wanted to play. I think it'd be smart to get a little recognition before you start worrying about money.
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Postby blastbeats666 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:53 pm

yeah but just wondering...
and plus that would also help out with the money situation ive got right now.
id make money doing something i love! how awesome would that be?

but yeah mike you got a point, i think first couple should just be for the fun of it but eventually i hope to get paid for gigs
screw you mike
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Postby SGarrett » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:59 pm

It's not overly easy to get played for playing drums...especially getting enough to pay your bills. When you've proven yourself, you can demand a monetary value. Until then, you'll get a percentage of what the band makes...unless your band has a rule about all money going into an account in which case you get to continue paying to play. :)

I'm going through the exact same thing with my session work. I had to do a lot of work for free before I could even get $20 for a song.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby Alan_ » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:01 pm

is the show at a bar? and the most important question: how much is your band gonna hustle to get all the folks they can to show up at the show?

how much you get paid is gonna be based at least in some part on how many folks you can draw.

generally here, if there's a cover it goes to the band. most of the places we play free shows, a percentage of the bar goes to the band. if we know the management (there's a couple of really cool little dive bars we have this sort of arrangement with), they just pay us out of the take for the night without really calculating a percentage, and it's usually pretty good money, a couple hundred bucks or more.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby Alan_ » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:04 pm

and what scott said. I've played a TON of gigs for no compensation. It's all experience and it's all art.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby randomdrum » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:11 pm

It's a long road before pay can start being properly negotiated. Maybe years
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Postby metldrummer2112 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:13 pm

Yeah man. If people like your music and you're playing regularly and getting recognized, just be happy that you have that gift. Once it becomes about the money, you turn into Metallica or Slipknot (OH NO HE DIDN'T!!!)

metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Postby Assback » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:14 pm

Me...I played about 30+ or so gigs since the band started and have made a whopping...$10

people gotta know you're somebody before you get paid
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Postby blastbeats666 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:28 pm

i did not mean to imply that the pay i would get would let me LIVE off of drumming. im just saying maybe 20-50 bucks a show.
screw you mike
blastbeats666
session drummer
session drummer

Postby SGarrett » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:48 pm

Yeah, that's what we're talking about, too.

I'm not sure how many people are in your band, so I'll assume four since that's pretty typical. At best you'll make 25%, 20% if there's a band cut, or nothing if everything goes straight into a band fund. So let's figure that you'll get 25%, for simplicity's sake. For you to make $20 for a gig, your band has to bring-in $80. For you to make $50 for a gig, your band has to bring-in $200. Merch helps, but then you need a band cut and then you need to make sure you take the overhead out of the night's money before splitting it...so you cover the cost of making the next batch of merch. Basically, it's as much as business as anything else. First you have to build your name, build your fan and/or client base, and then you work from there. You do that with hard work, good playing, and building a professional attitude. As your name grows, your pay per gig will grow. Right now, you're looking at 25% of $20...and possibly just free beverages.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby metldrummer2112 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:24 pm

Awwww that reminds me. I played a show with my used-to-be stepdad's southern rock band which is pretty big in PA, they make a nice amount of money. We played as a three piece that night! If only we had gotten paid......

metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Postby ForeverThePariah » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:32 pm

metldrummer2112 wrote:Awwww that reminds me. I played a show with my used-to-be stepdad's southern rock band which is pretty big in PA, they make a nice amount of money. We played as a three piece that night! If only we had gotten paid......

what their name? I live in pittsburgh and curious if Iv heard of them.

As for the topic, yea money should be the last thing on your mind at this point, definatly if its your first show as a band (or yourself). The band I used to play with played out just about every weekend, even did some touring, had a good year run with them, made nothing and spent alot - but thats all part of the game.
Tama SK Hyper Drive in Brushed Vintage Blue (22, 10, 12, 14, 16)
-14" Tama SK Snare
-13" Custom Painted Pearl Joey Jordison Snare
-13" Yamaha Musashi
Meinl Cymbals
Evans Heads
Vater Sticks
ForeverThePariah
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby metldrummer2112 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:46 pm

ForeverThePariah wrote:
metldrummer2112 wrote:Awwww that reminds me. I played a show with my used-to-be stepdad's southern rock band which is pretty big in PA, they make a nice amount of money. We played as a three piece that night! If only we had gotten paid......

what their name? I live in pittsburgh and curious if Iv heard of them.

I don't know about pittsburgh, I think they kinda stayed in Central PA, but they covered a big part of it. Last I heard they were Mr.Breeze. There were a couple name changes as far as I know. All I know is that either them or another band my ex-stepdad was in could've gone pro 20 or 30 years back but they couldn't due to him having a family.

So back on topic, Mr.Breeze. Heard of them?

metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master

Next

Return to Gigs